Show your new stuff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Bolletje, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The iPad aside (I really like it.. a lot), when it came to Apple there were 2 things I promised myself: 1) I would never own an iPod (even one given to me), and 2) I would never buy an iPod.. even if Steve Jobs were pointing a gun at me. Simple fact is they suck for audio. Sure, it sounds better with better more expensive headphones, but they still are lacking when compared to Sony or Cowon (both have custom equalizers, and far superior audio playback).

So.. here I am... breaking promise numero uno. A client, ever thankful for saving his company by rescuing all the data on a single solitary server he kept EVERYTHING on, well.. he gave me his brand new 32GB iPod Touch 4th Gen as a thank you, and man... I love it. Still can't compare to any of my Sonys in the music department, but that's not what I'm using it for, and that is gaming, and movies (I finally get to redeem all those Digital Copy codes that came with my Blu Rays). A hell of a lot of fun.. and I didn't have to pay for it. :w00t:

Oh, and I made a ton selling him a second server, offsite storage backup, doing the actual server/data recover, and installation too. :)

Attached Files:

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Well, at least someone is having a good day! :p

Well done Tipstaff. :)

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Nice job Tipstaff! Nice to know you've been appreciated :)

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I had a CEX trade in voucher with only a week left on it, so:

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the awful-Nokia-brick-damaged-camera :D)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  5. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Actually the DAC used in the iPod Touch is fantastic. It is as good or better than the majority of mp3 players out there.

Took your advice and went w/ the T3i. The different in features between this and my XT are astounding.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The old ones I'd agree with that assessment. The newer ones, such as the 3rd gen Touch, iPhone 3GS, Shuffle, iPad, and Nano... no. The older units used a Wolfson DAC, newer ones use Cirrus, and there is a distinct difference in sound, however the newer Cirrus used on the iPhone 4 and Touch 4, I have to admit are a lot better. Interestingly, Apple has apparently gone back to using Wolfson DACs for the iPad 2, and supposedly the next iPhone. Here's hoping they continue to do so for their entire line of players.

My biggest complaint with Apples players is a lack of any custom EQ setting. Time and again they say it's because it eats battery life, yet they go and add an EQ that has 22 selectable pre-sets that when in use eat.. wait for it.. battery life. :rolleyes:

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

wait until you see the difference in the quality of the photos!

8. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I just use the kit lens at the moment as I just sold my 50mm f1.4. First time I've used a lens with image stabilization and I can't believe how good fre hand pics can be without flash.

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the kit lens is actually sharper than the kit lens for the 350D, even with IS switched off... but why'd you sell your 50 1.4?! That's a great lens!

However, if you have the budget, get a 15-85 - one of the sharpest lenses available for the EF-S mount

10. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I do mostly indoor shooting, generally of computers. I can rarely fit the entire object in the frame.

It will likely be a while before I buy a lens though. Camera + iPad has pretty much broked me out for a while.

11. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

i bought a Forme Element hard tail mountain bike today ... i can't be arsed taking a photo as it is p!ssing down

[​IMG]

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Already seen this in 2D but really want to watch it in 3D with 9.1 surround in my living room :drool:

[​IMG]

13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

What's that second screen stuff about?

And 9.1 surround? You so crazy :p

14. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

9.1 speakers is no crazier than 6 core processors and quad SLI it's one more upgrade...

Not sure what that 2nd screen stuff is about, probably pop up facts or something that takes you to a web page while the movie is running. Sounds distracting.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Who said that 6 core processors and quad SLI aren't crazy? I certainly didn't :p

9.1 is probably a better upgrade than quad SLI actually, if you have room for it.

Sounds like a pointless gimmick :p

16. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

I got these in last week. I've been breaking them in, and now they sound absolutely astounding! You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon now.

[​IMG]

17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

what model ?

18. skylineaddict

skylineaddict Sleep Deprived Ant

Sennheiser HD 428.

They are truly amazing. For the price, they cannot be beaten. In fact, they sound better than Dr. Dre Beats (I've tried, but not bought, the entire line) and all of the Bose products I've tried. Jeeze, I sound like I work for Sennheiser.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  19. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

20. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

I've had a pair of 428's for a year and are loving them :) can look a bit weird, but they're sturdy, comfy, and have lasted me this long. I honestly love Sennheiser...best audio equipment hands down.