Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Louiemaster, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Louiemaster

Louiemaster Masto Commando

Is it weird that my computer will still have its fans and lights on after I shut it down? I can't hold the power button down and have it shut off, I have to switch the button on the back of my comp to off.

This only happens sometimes(usually after I'm playing games or something) and I'm wondering if there is a setting in my BIOS that I need to change.

This is a custom built PC also.

2. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Do you have your BIOS set to like an advanced halt state? Where its still running, and starts up faster? Sounds to me like you do, post some system specs to help everyone better help you with your problem :)

3. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

It sounds like a windows service or process isn't shutting down properly at random. It could also be what he said and your bios power down settings could be wrong. In that case though it would happen the same way every time you shut down your system.
    Have you read up on how to properly configure your bios.
    There aren't to many settings that should be left on auto. If you know or can find the correct default or proper settings depending on your overclock then set it manually. Auto settings in a boards BIOS are for first boot only. There are just to many different hardware configurations for the board to detect everything with the proper settings.

4. Louiemaster

Hmm I doubt it because it won't even boot up when it's in this state. It actually doesn't respond to anything. The fans are spinning and the LED lights are on but nothing shows on the monitor. Keep in mind this only happens sometimes.

Some extra information: I have tried leaving it in this state for a while to see if it shuts off by itself with no luck.

System Specs
    Manufacturer:Systemax
    Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, ~2.2GHz
    Memory:1022MB RAM
    Hard Drive:250 GB
    Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    Monitor: Dell P1110
    Sound Card:Speakers (Realtek AC'97 Audio)
    Keyboard:USB Root Hub
    Mouse:USB Root Hub
    Operating System:Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)

5. Louiemaster

I'll try your advice but is there any way this could be a hardware problem?

6. ChaosMinionX

It certainly isnt windows causing this, something on the Mobo is not right....could also be a hardware failure, minor at best....Have you cleared CMOS and reflashed a bios? and when did this problem start occuring.

Windows has no service that delegates fans and LEDs of the actual hardware, upon further examination of your problem I would clear the CMOS and reflash a bios to it and see if that resolves the problem. For exact info on how to do this most of it is done by cutting the power to the board, removing the battery and switching a jumper then powering everything back up...but exact method to do so varies from company to company and board to board.

7. Louiemaster

This problem actually came with the computer. I have reset the CMOS before and it didn't fix the problem.

8. ChaosMinionX

Did you call the company? The Mobo might be bad, its definately hardware related that all that is staying on.

9. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

Guess I should have read your post a little better. Can and can't are two different words,lol. Because you can't hold the power button in and shut down then it most definitely is bios or hardware related like ChaosMinionX said. Mobo's can do weird things when something is going out either on the board itself or something attached to it. There should be some sort of error beep as long and you have a mobo speaker hooked up and error beeps are enabled if something is failing.
    Are your HDD led's flashing or solid when this happens?
    Do your optical drives still open and close when this happens?

10. Louiemaster

No error beeps though I'm sure it is enabled.

Never tried opening the optical drives before. I'll try that and check for any HDD lights if this happens later today.