Sin City & Max Payne

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bananaman, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

Well, yesterday i went to see Constantine and saw the trailer for Sin city

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/

What struck me most was the amazing resemblance to Max Payne, the style, the voice - everything really. I truly thought that the title was going to be Max Payne (having heard nothing of Sin City beforehand)

has anyone heard anything about this film or think that it is a Max Payne rip off?!

still wanna watch it though

nana

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

It looked very maxy too me too... But I don't really wanna see it

3. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

Sin City is based off a series of comic books. If anything max payne is copying sin city, not the other way around:)

4. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

I have just been doing some further reading and it seems that i might be barking at the wrong end of the stick and indeed Max ripped off the Sin City comic - although the Sin City voice over is still very very MAx ;)

nana

5. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

trailer looks pretty cool. Looks similar to max payne, but nothing convincing enough to make me think it would be based off max payne

6. nuG

like i said in my above post. ITS BASED OFF THE COMIC BOOKS "SIN CITY" AND VERY ACCURATELY SO I HEAR :wtf:

7. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

did u like constantine?i didnt.

8. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

I thought it was ok - would give it 6.6/10 - worth a watch but i wont watch it again.

Rachel Weisz is class in many ways she added a point to the score ;)

nana

9. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

Sin City rocks

Rachel Weisz is the shiznit. Although I've seen her in an early 1990s Inspector Morse episode with a very heavy monobrow... just more proof that with the right handlers anyone can be a sex symbol. ;)

Sin City is the defining influence for alot of the recent ultra-violent noir videogames and movies. I think the movie casting is excellent, and although Rodriguez is a hack I think he'll aspire to greatness... he's made alot of personal sacrifices for this film, and shows a deep respect for the subject matter. I guess when you're making Spy Kids, its had to invoke the spirit of Orson Welles...

Any movie that stars Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Benicio Del Toro, and Rutger Hauer is going to kick ass. Alba as a stripper doesn't hurt either. :) Casting Rourke as the washed up loser with 'nothing to lose' is brilliant.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  10. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I just hope quintin tarentino doesn't ruin Sin City :(

11. nuG

how could he? pulp fiction, resevior dogs and kill bill all kick ass. how could he screw it up??? hes not even the director hes the "guest" director

12. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

tarantino...

I didn't think Kill Bill was as solid as his original offerings, as it lacked the strong plotline and narrative that his other films had in the past... but then again it was a stylistic exercise where he's demonstrating all the stereotypes of kung-fu action cinema and trying to supercede and evolve beyond it. I prefered Vol 2 to Vol 1 quite a bit, but on the whole it was still a very good movie.

Sin City will probably be as episodic as Pulp Fiction with the violence of Kill Bill. The only question is will the dialogue be vivid and gritty or hackneyed and laughable? The movie can easily be a major disaster, but I'm guessing it will at least have cult appeal.

To my knowledge Tarantino only filmed one or two scenes, mostly to learn about HD cameras as he's an analogue 35mm guy himself.

13. tek

tek New Member

Movie looks like its gonna kick some serious ass... just look at the cast

Jessica Alba O_O mmmmmmm

and everybody else is pretty damn famous like 10 well known actors.

movie looks promising, but I'm still gonna have to steal it :)

boycott RIAA fuckin punks!

14. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

Firstly, let's not blatantly talk about stealing movies.

Secondly, it's the MPAA, not the RIAA, that are in charge of movies.

Finally, why am I a "fuckin punk", and was that completely necessary?

Back on track...it does look to have cult appeal atleast...but with a cast like that I'm gunna have to atleast rent it.

15. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

Why boycott them? Because you object to their pricing? Because you want them to produce better music (or in the case of MPAA: movies)? then stealing isnt the answer.

The answer is STOP WATCHING AND\OR LISTENING TO THEIR STUFF! Honestly if you just dont feel like paying for stuff then go steal it...if your reasons are more noble, like boycotting RIAA\MPAA, then boycott them! Stop using their products. Stop listening to big name recording artists(get into some of the indie labels that arent under the MPAA\RIAA or maybe some underground stuff. go to FILM festivals)

If you simply "steal" (bad word to use actually because its inaccurate) their stuff then you're saying "YEAH its great stuff and I love it........but I'm a whiny punk that doesnt feel like paying" whereas if you REALLY boycott their stuff, you're saying "I do not feel that your products meet my satisfaction" and they'll change because they want profits.

jeez. :mad: