Sin City

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by HardwareHeaven, May 28, 2005.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Anyone else seen this film? I saw it today and I thought it was brilliant!

2. LuCifer

LuCifer DH sig maker!

No I havent seen it.
    But It sure does look like a Good Film
    I'll Check it out.:)

3. e v o

e v o New Member

liked it a lot, as well

4. HardwareHeaven

Some wonderful creative direction and the visuals are some of the most effective ive seen. Best film this year.

5. e v o

e v o New Member

at first i felt like it was more detached than it had to be, but then i thought about it as if each were a comic.

6. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

It looked good, but I haven't seen it yet... I'll probably buy the DVD some time.

7. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

props to Miller

Shot literally scene-for-scene from the graphic novels. I was astouned by how literal a translation was. Rodriguez was right to share his directing credit with Frank Miller; anything less would have been a travesty.

There's a prequel to the Clive Owen segment, a Dame to Kill For, which is probably *better* than what they included in the film. Inspired casting of Mickey Rourke; a career-highlight certainly.

If not for its hyper-violence I'd recommend it to more people. 5 mins of that film has more creativity than thge entire Episode III. Also its a good example of how to use digital effects --- you shouldn't KNOW that its computer generated.

8. HardwareHeaven

indeed, well said uber.

9. bake15

bake15 New Member

i didn't even know it was out over here, cant wait to see it.

10. ToP3koms

ToP3koms Respect Human Rights

It was a great film on the big screen and definately one I will be picking up on DVD.

11. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

You should get the comic series Allan, different but well worth it. Like all artistic triumphs it will remain a cult favorite.

12. TJ-

TJ- New Member

It sure is a weird movie...

Well put together and the cast is amazing...

9.5/10 IMO....

13. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

it was ok, i would of liked more tie in with each story

14. CrapolaJola

CrapolaJola The Great DaK

i loved it, great story, cool visuals, and u cant deny the jessica alba factor either :)

15. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I saw it a few months back, it was good, but i found a few of the stories a bit boring...

16. HardwareHeaven

With Hellboy, Guillermo Del Toro lovingly recreated panels from artist/creator Mike Mignola's comic book stories and brought them to vibrant life, setting a new benchmark for adaptations that respect their source material. With Sin City, however, co-directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller have done more than just recreate the brutal chiaroscuro of Miller's stark post-modern noir artwork, they've captured the essence and the aesthetic of Basin City (as much a character as Marv or Hartigan) and brought its universe and characters to a stunning three-dimensional life. And unlike Hellboy, which suffered from a weak, confusing script, Sin City weaves a Pulp Fiction-esque narrative which snakes through the dark streets and crooked alleyways of this hellish metropolis like a fever dream.

In short, Sin City delivers a blistering ballet of bullets and blood, dames and danger at every turn. It's a kinetic masterpiece of pop culture for the new millennium (and a case could be made that this was the movie that CGI was invented for).

As a Frank Miller fan for over 25 years, I know his work and I know Sin City – and this Sin City will knock your socks off whether you are a fan or a newcomer to the dark delights of his devilish imagination and brutal style. Exceeding my expectations on all levels, this movie ranks as one of the most enjoyable cinema-going experiences I've had in years.

Everything works here. From Rodriguez's cinematography and editing, to the seamless direction (no mean feat when you consider Robert co-directed with Miller and Quentin Tarantino joined the mix as "Special Guest Director"), to the spot-on casting. The script gives Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen and Benicio Del Toro plenty of opportunity to chew the scenery – and they do, especially Rourke, who, despite having his mug buried under a thick layer of gruesome latex, delivers one of the best performances of his career and steals the show as Marv, the giant thug with a broken heart. The ladies hold their own, too. Jessica Alba, Rosario Dawson, Brittany Murphy and Jaime King are all great in their roles, particularly Dawson as machine gun-wielding Dominatrix/Hooker-Godmother Gail. And kudos to Elijah Wood (proving there is life after Hobbits) and Nick Stahl who deliver contrasting performances as vile villains, the ultra-creepy Kevin and the disgusting Yellow bastard, respectively.

Sin City is smart, stylish, sexy and sick. It's also violent and funny. Certainly not a film for the whole family, but for those of us who enjoy our movies rated R, this flick kicks the head and the gut like a mule.

Here's hoping Sin City makes a mint, for there are 10,000 stories in the naked (sinful) city, and this is but a handful of them. I'm already praying for a sequel.

A picture perfect "ten" for this cineast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

17. Vasot

Vasot Banned

Visual and Style =EXCELLENT !! ;)
    Scenario= BORING CRAP :tears:

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I understand that movies of the genre, if you can give it one, are rarely embraced by the public, and so be it, because to appreciate the depth of the entire body of work means that it appeals to an aesthitic sense of the surreal, and of course familiarity with the comic would be helpful but unecessary.

19. HardwareHeaven

There are mainstream films such as Star Wars Revenge of the Sith which just bombards the viewer with visual effects and a total lack of a cohesive story line and there is a film like Sin City which is lets be honest a little too intellicual and unique to be appreciated by the mainstream public.

Nothing new really, cinema has been like this for many decades :)

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Tis true, I say often, that movies like Sin City are like pearls before swine....