Skulltrail - XFX GTX 280 XXX 3-Way SLi /4870X2 CFx

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 17, 2008.

1. macbiter

macbiter New Member

ive an enermax Zardon. I think it might be it now you mention it. Im seeing an orange light on one of them. I know its not the card because ive swapped them around.

Ill head out today and see if I can get something else.

Thanks.

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You mut have been pretty close to the maximum load for that PSU - did you test the power consumption, and how did you split
    the system betwen the 12v rails?

I think I'd be wanting dual 700W Coarsairs for a system like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2008
  3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I measured output at the wall at it was around 900-950w fully loaded (and overclocked). We reviewed The HX1000W PSU here http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=592&pageid=4 and it was capable of holding 1200w load. I don't think it is an issue on any level. Hell of a bargain that power supply especially considering the utmost quality of the components inside.

4. macbiter

macbiter New Member

Well shock of all shocks, our local store had a corsair HX1000W PSU today and I bought it. I think I was the first person in the shop this morning ! I paid a little over the odds for it compared to online.

I hooked it up this morning and its all working great.

Zardon many thanks :) What a killer system this is. Cant believe i was just playing Crysis at 2560x1600 and then went into Maya and rendered a scene which would take forever on a Quad core :)

Gotta love Skulltrail, my mac is now over in a corner !

5. sammorris

sammorris New Member

£750 on the cards, £130 on the PSU, goodness knows how much on the skulltrail setup.. it's a bargain!

If I can just raise a 'back to sanity' point here though, I can run Crysis on all high at 2560, and max pretty much every other game out there at that res with AA, and it be pretty playable, using a single HD4870X2 and a £120 Q6600.

Tri-SLI on a skulltrail board is certainly a neat toy for all the rich folks, but for gaming at 2560x1600, it's not actually all that necessary... :p

6. coolmister

coolmister New Member

Yeah i managed to get QX9775's

I really want to get my hands on GTX280's just to give it a go more than anything but my system isn't the easiest to swap things around tbh.

Just wish this Intel Bios had come out a month or so before so i didn't have to pull the thing apart.............guess life ain't that easy though!

My system as it is currently...

[​IMG]

7. HardwareHeaven

@ Sammorris well to be fair you wont be gaming at 2560 on "very high" in Crysis. that said, the game pretty much is a waste of time anyway IMO so its pointless.

So while I appreciate your point, this thread isn't really for people on limited budgets in the first place ;)

8. HardwareHeaven

coolmister, thats a nice looking setup. You gaming on a 30 inch screen I take it ?

9. coolmister

coolmister New Member

Cheers Zardon, its currently plugged into an LG 15" :oops:

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That's where it belongs!

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

+1

12. HardwareHeaven

Oh. It might be a better idea to maybe put the money on the upgrade to a nice new 24 or 30 inch screen ?

13. sammorris

sammorris New Member

there's little difference between 'High' and the hacked 'Very High' config in performance terms, and there's no difference between the 'Very high' hacked config and the real thing in Vista, so realistically, not much difference.
    Oh, and agreed on the 15" screen. Honestly, I could still get away with my HD3870 for one of those...

14. HardwareHeaven

Actually between a single 4870x2 and 3x 280s in SLI in crysis (DX10) there is quite a difference in frame rate. its noticeably smoother at 2560x1600. Obviously its also a little more expensive.....

15. sammorris

sammorris New Member

Oh, agreed, you will still definitely notice the difference, but realistically, I doubt very many people could justify quadruple the expense on that account... haha

16. HardwareHeaven

Funnily enough its actually just over double the price. Yeah im being pedantic I know.......

4870X2 - £350 inc vat
    280 GTX £250 inc vat x3 = £750.

17. HardwareHeaven

18. mjohns64

mjohns64 New Member

Memory??

Just been looking at the Smooth Creations site - sweet..

I'm fortunate that I've got my bonus coming to me in a couple of months (just had confirmed - and it arrives just after Christmas) - so in the market for an absolute MONSTER that I won't need to touch again for a little while and I think this hits the spot.... good upgrade path...

However, I notice that everywhere I've been checking shows that the Skulltrail uses DDR2 memory - but if you check the Smooth Creations site, they are selling with DDR3?

See Smooth Creations | Xtreme Machines

So - a new version of the M/board that takes DDR3? A Typo? Or will the Skulltrail also run DDR3? (Everything I've seen says not!)

Cheers.

MJO.

PS - Great reviews and FAB site... I'll be coming back lots in the build up to putting my ordering late Jan!

19. HardwareHeaven

massive errors in that system unless the skulltrail motherboard is actually something else.

firstly QX9770 is a CPU which can't work in dual CPU mode, the QX9775 is the processor for that task.

Skulltrail cant take DDR3 it needs fully buffered DDR2 (and can take 4x4gb modules incidentally such as crucial sell). and why are there 4 video cards? different options?

Wouldn't go near these guys....... I have emailed them letting them know. Massive concerns about their technical department after seeing that.

20. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I'm in love with the red green and blue coolant on the second pic :drool: