Sli?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by deadeyeselh, Jan 27, 2008.

1. deadeyeselh

deadeyeselh New Member

I like to stick with ATI for graphics cards and was wondering about all these motherboards that have SLI chipsets. Does this mean that they will only support Nvidia cards in SLI mode or can they also support ATI cards in crossifre mode? This is proplably a dumb question but im clueless...But if they can't support crossfire cards can you recomend me a not too expensive motherboard that will.~cheers~

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

SLI mobos will only support SLI. So no CF support. If you want CF get mobo that has intel's chipset ;)

3. deadeyeselh

deadeyeselh New Member

Can you name a motherboard that has one that has CF?

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

well, idk if it's true or not, but from what i've heard CF can be done on an SLI MoBo. To my understanding this is because the CF technology is open source. like i said, i'm not sure about this, but that is to my best understanding.

really though, you should stay with CF on an intel/AMD based chipset board and SLI to an NVIDIA based chipset board.

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah it is possible but it to do it you need to know a lot of different things how things work. And I don't recommend to do that if you don't know what needs to be done.

For CF mobo there is a lot of different boards. So best way is found the best one for you is to go the manufacturers sites and take a look what they got. But I say that you are good with any board that has Intel's P35 or newer chipset. :)

6. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Amongst other boards check out the Asus Maximus Formula and Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 boards. Both are crossfire, DDR2 and have SATA RAID.

You said not expensive but everyone has a different idea of what that means. How much is your budget?