SLI'ing 2 9800pro's???

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by IamLakota, Mar 24, 2004.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Remember the the way you could hook up two Voodoo2's together in SLI I wonder if that can be done to a couple of 9800 pro's????

2. Forge

Forge New Member

Nope.

ATi did some research into multicore/multicard acceleration a few years back, with the Rage MAXX, but they used AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering, card/core 1 does frames 1,3,5,7, card/core 2 does 2,4,6,8), but it largely sucked and was a PITA to implement.

3Dfx did SLI, which divided the scene by lines, ATi did AFR, alternate frames, and I think someone else tried to do portions of the screen (top 1/2, bottom 1/2), but none of it worked well enough to be worthwhile, with the exception of 3Dfx's stuff.

Back to the simple answer: Nope.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

PowerVR has implemented multichip architecher quit well... it works VERY VERY well actually..... however.. it's not feaseable for the standard desktop user.. however.... majority of all the arcade machines you sit down to will have a pvr multichip solution.....

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

why would they? SLI and it untroduces latency .... (mich like nvidas new bridges for pci xpress)

there are allready cards made by them that have 2 and 4 cores but i think they are 9700 based and there were made for speacail and millitary use..

one i know of I think had 4 x 9700 pro cores and 1 gb total ram (256 ea)

but the costs was unreal!

5. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

The cost would most deffiently be outragoues!

6. Nuke209

Nuke209 New Member

can someone explain SLI and how it works and pictures?

7. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

now thats my kind of card! :lol:

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

it's basically bonding two cards useally though a ribbion cable (like a hdd uses) to work togeather/ share resourses to produce the result faster... but adds a kind of latency to the equation only really utillized by voodoo, but nvidia bought them out and shut them down

9. free_refil

free_refil New Member

Remember the 3DFX card that shut them down, had 4 VPU's, and each processor ran 1/4 of the screen... It required an external power source pluged directly into a power socket. I remember there was an article about it in some magazine...

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the Voodoo 5 6000 disn't shut em down.... it was the idiots running the bisness.. (well part of the people were idiots)..... That voodoo 5 6000 still produces some seriously amazing results.... image quality is still untouched... still on of the only cards to run 8x FSAA.... seriously.... that card has some horse power yet ..... Man.... what i'd do to get ahold of one of the Alpha Rampage cards.....

11. free_refil

free_refil New Member

Well, I had remembered the article stating that that particular card had "set their fate", or something to that effect... Oh well, as long as people remember it, it shall go down in infamy!

12. Ryan666

Ryan666 New Member