Snap/Crackle/and a little more of Pop with Audigy 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dijego, Sep 27, 2010.

1. dijego

dijego New Member

Allright, i got the dreaded scp for some time and i haven't changed anything in hardware terms so it's probably not nforce-and-audigy-conflict related, or something similar since it was working fine with this configuration.

I have tried several Creative drivers but i'm always left with some constant annoying popping, which seems to be random. Lately, there has been even more problems, with metalic sounds and stoppage of sound reproduction, which seems to last in equal intervals until the sound comes back again. I know it's probably faulty sound card which served for a long time, but i tried today kX drivers and got some interesting results.

I installed the latest drivers before removing the old one from device manager. I should mention here that i also have annoying Legacy Audio Drivers in Sound tab in Device Manager which i just cannot remove! I tried everything, i disabled AC97 in BIOS, i removed Legacy Drivers in Safe Mod but after restarting they always come back and install on their own! And when i'm not in Safe Mode i even don't get an option to remove them.

Now, as i said, i installed kX drivers before removing Creative software (i left Creative mixer since i'm very used to it but it doesn't seem to cooperate with kX) and there was no crackle. Now, there wasn't any sound also as i would discover, but only because i haven't swapped Front and Rear yet. When i did that finally, i was strucked with a shear quality sound and crackle free! But after a while, and after playing some mp3s and Youtube clips there was some static and now the crackle is back. Now, i don't have that metallic sound like with Creative drivers but i still got some crackle and i got two kinds of it - constant crackle and crackle which starts when i start to play some sound and lasts until it is played, but this crackle which follows the sound that is reproduced occurs sometimes, and sometimes not, and i cannot tell why and how.

So, anyone had similar problems? I know i should buy a new sound card but i'm now curious to see what does it all mean and if i should try something more that i missed. All advices are welcomed, so shoot!

Thanx

2. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD New Member

Don't use Master Mixer output device and you should be fine.

3. silvertones

silvertones New Member

What is the master mixer output device?

4. ElvesBrew

ElvesBrew New Member

I have an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum w/ the front panel IO module. Any way, I was getting the SCP and I tried all sorts of work arounds and fixes and had limited success turning this down, disabling this, or uninstalling that depending on the particular flavor of the month. None of the tips that were passed around really fixed my problem although some would mask it.
    I did find that a temporary fix could be had by removing the PCI card, cleaning the card edge connectors, and reinserting the card in the PCI slot. That would clean it up for a few months until I moved the PC or wiggled the cables in the back by plugging in a USB cable or something similar.
    The last time it acted up I didn't feel like taking the card out and playing around with it so out of frustration I took a can of DustOff to it and the SCP went away. I played around with the PC the rest of the evening and had no further problems but the next day as I was using the PC I noticed that as the room temp started approaching 78 - 80 degrees F the old SCP started sneaking back in.
    As a result I took an 8" fan I had and mounted it in the side cover so it would blow over the area with the PCI slots and partially over the CPU area. Since then I no longer have an issue with SCP. I need to take a can of freeze spray and a straw so I can pin-point exactly which component is overheating but I haven't had time or time+freeze-spray to do this so I am not sure if it is a design flaw or just a bad cap or some other component that is failing to meet its published specification. Since I have had this problem to one degree or another since I first installed it I am thinking design flaw but hey, that's the way I ride. ;-)

EB

5. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

Weird that it seemed to be heat problem on your end.. Audigy 2 ZS Platinum working fine over here, though I did have some "SCP" when moving the mouse oddly enough. It was only when I had my new video card in (nVidia, of course..), but not so much their fault as it was mine for wanting a beast of a card on my old rig. It has a weird PCIe-to-PCI bridge built onto the card to connect it and I had a hunch it might have something to do with bus latency. PCI Latency Tool 2.3 was my savior in the end, and now I have it rigged up to drop the latency on the bridge to 000 as a startup task in Task Scheduler and that fixed everything.

Oh, and of course use SPDIF/AC3 as the mixer output device for Windows. ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. Dave_Scream

Dave_Scream New Member

Îòâåò: Re: Snap/Crackle/and a little more of Pop with Audigy 2

Hi. Did u use Windows 7 ? my PC just hangs up alltime when im trying to start PCI Latency timer 3.1. im using Windows 7 32bit

7. Dave_Scream

Dave_Scream New Member

Îòâåò: Snap/Crackle/and a little more of Pop with Audigy 2

so now we have this recommendations:
    1. for output use not 1/2 but 2/3 in main windows play device
    2. use profx src plugin everywhere
    3. if u use windows xp - then try pci latency timer software (not work in w7)
    4. try another PCI slot for ur soundblaster

4 step helped me... i think devices was on same bus so popping and crackle was. now testing.

8. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

Re: Îòâåò: Re: Snap/Crackle/and a little more of Pop with Audigy 2

Yeah I run Windows 7 32, and I recall the newer versions were hokey, but the main factor for me was that the newer versions didn't even show the PCIe-to-PCI bridge and 2.3 did, so I recommend trying the older version. I went ahead and updated the PCI hardware ID list too. Only trick is that PCI LT needs Admin rights to run so to get it to run on startup without UAC being a pain in the ass I run it as a task in scheduler.

Run it, change your latencies until you have them how you want them, Apply, Save (under Settings), then set up the following task:

Name: LtcyCfgApply
    Set user account to: Administrators
    Run only when user is logged in
    Run with highest priveleges

Trigger: At log on of any user.
    Action: Start a program -
    Program/script: "C:\Program Files\PCI Latency Tool\LtcyCfg.exe"
    Add argument: /a

It's a pain trying to find any version of PCI LT, let alone old versions, so here's my copy -

PCI Latency Tool 2.3 w/ 2010-11-24 PCI ID's List:
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    :) Cheers!

Can't stress setting as SPDIF/AC3 output enough on Windows 7 for getting rid of SCP without changing any kX settings. Everything is default on mine except for setting up the Mic in AC97 and swapping Timbre in for the EQ. Works a treat. Changing and cleaning slots would be my next step if that doesn't work. PCI Latency is something you shouldn't mess with generally, I haven't adjusted my kX card latency at all, just the PCIe-to-PCI bridge of my *video* card which was interfering; but note that mine is a pretty unusual case now due to that card.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. Dave_Scream

Dave_Scream New Member

step 4 didnt helped me... when im turn on my computer today after hibernation - crackle appear again... maybe its because of memory leak accumulation? it accumulates when OS online a big period of time cause i use hibernation instead of "restart" or "full switch off".

now i will try to dl PCI latency tool 2.3 thanks to osm0sis.. its was hard to find for me old version of that tool.

alright!!!! version 2.3 works on my Windows 7 32bit!!!
    [​IMG]

so i set 0 latency for my SoundBlaster card.. and crackle sound still appears ((( im listening audio throught ASIO...

foobar2000 -> DS 4/5 -> kx routing 4/5 to asio 4/5 -> Asio host processing -> output to asio 12/14 -> kx routing rear back

cracks appears when im browsing - open or refresh some page for example

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  10. Dave_Scream

Dave_Scream New Member

tried to use asio4all above Direct WaveOut 4/5:

so the scheme
    foobar2000 -> asio4all -> kx 4/5 -> asio kx -> asio host software -> output to asio 12/13 -> k1lt Rear Out

no crackles... will check yesterday after hibernation.

UPD.
    did not helped too.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  11. osm0sis

osm0sis Member

I think the main problem is that you don't have an Audigy 2. Your screenshot of PCI Latency Tool shows a 10k1. This is an Audigy 2 (10k2) thread so I assumed you had one. Which is kind of annoying since you should have started a new thread rather than hijack this one... Check your card for a SB serial number, then check the kX compatibility list.. your card might not be fully supported.. seriously man. ugh.