So are you getting a PS4 or Xbox One? Or both?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Calliers, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

So, with both console's specs and information revealed now, are you going to get a PS4 or Xbox One, or both? And why?

I'm definitely getting a PS4 this Christmas, especially with the estimated starting price being predicted to be so low.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I know this will come as a surprise to the regulars here, I will wait for the final details regarding DRM and whichever console doesn't use any type of online activation, that's the one I will be buying.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, not much surprise there. I'm just curious, though, if both of them fail that criterion, will you look for the "lesser evil", or will you buy neither?

In my case, the short answer would ne that I won't be getting either of them. I guess I'm a PC die-hard. I love the PC controls, I love the flexibility, the versatility (and the console makers trying to mimic as much of PC functionality as possible seem to hand that to the PC as well)...

Also, there is the economic factor. It's another system I'd have to buy and I also think that the local games market is still fairly undeveloped (if it weren't for Steam, I guess I'd still mostly depend on torrent sites to get my games).

I'm eagerly waiting for the new consoles finally come out, though. New consoles are always exciting, each generation brings a push in what games can be like and therefore shapes gaming for years to come.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

:oops:

Just realized I posted this in gaming news, would a moderator kindly move it to gaming discussion? Thanks in advance!

5. Trusteft

Neither. I will probably buy a Wii U/PS Vita/ 3DS XL at some point and focus on PC DRM free games as much as possible. I might buy the occasional super cheap on sale DRMed PC game (3 euros or 5 for 2 games), but why waste my money on leasing when I can use them for something else!

Thankfully there seems to be more and more interest by developers for DRM free gaming on the PC. It's not like I am going to run out of games.

6. Calliers

I can't wait till the PS4 comes out, I've decided I'm getting another PS3 in the mean time. Thing is I can't decide between the garnet red limited edition or the white limited edition. The red one comes with a bundle of all God of War games (which I won't play, will just sell them probably). The white one comes with 8 or 10 free games, some of which I'll play, and 1 year free subscription to PSN Plus. The white one is also $50 cheaper at $299. So far I'm leaning towards getting the white one.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I currently have no interest in either. I rarely even turn on my 360 anymore.

PC Gaming keeps me plenty busy when I want to play games.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Same here. That, or my iPod Touch.

Although.. I say that at the moment. I'll probably look at both a year from now when there's more games out for each, as well as more solid info on each unit before I pick on, or both to get. Plus I'm considering a career change, so I might not even have time or interest in playing console games by then.

9. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Probably won't get either (never owned a 360 of PS3) but if I did, it would probably end up being the Xbox for two reasons. First, most of my friends are Xbox guys and I can't see them jumping onto Sony's ship. Second, Kinect is a lot of fun with the kids.

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

This. Also, console gaming is ridiculously expensive, even when the consoles themselves are "cheap". On PC most games I play are free or £5 in a Steam sale. The cost of the platform is just the cost of my graphics card (£40), as I'd have a PC anyway. For a console, I'd also need to buy a TV, though that doesn't apply to most.

Added to Ivan's list of conveniences is that PC is the platform with the most exclusive titles, and the convenience of just having everything in one place.

As for getting a PS3 and a PS4 Allan, your disposable income is nuts. I thought you only cared about LoL and GTA-V anyway? Neither of those are announced for PS4.

11. Trusteft

You don't need to buy a TV for your console, this isn't the 80's or even 90's.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Okay, good point. As long as I didn't want to have both the console and my PC on screens at the same time, I'd only need an adaptor.

13. Calliers

I've weighed playing games on PC vs. playing games on console and playing on my landlord's PS3 the other day I realized I now prefer to use game pads rather than keyboard and mouse. Now I know I can get a game pad for PC as well but I decided that it would be nice to own the new PS4 when it comes out as well plus consoles you don't have to tinker with settings and inside the console and all, just put the disc in and enjoy. I've grown out of having to take my PC apart to solve problems or dust it or w/e and tinker with it for whatever other reason. I just wanna have a box for games and that's it. :)

As for which kind of games I care about, there's others I like as well that are console exclusive, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel and GT5 come to mind.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Fair enough.

I feel like your best bet might just be getting a PS3 for now and holding off for a few years on the PS4, then - lots of upcoming games are for PS3 (GT6, GTA-V), and there won't be a huge repository of games for PS4 on launch, let alone cheap, used games.

15. Calliers

I think you might be right, I guess I'll hold off buying a PS4 for a while. At least until a limited edition comes out. Do you think they'll release one maybe a year or so after releasing the PS4? I'm fairly excited that the PS3 I'll be getting will be limited edition white.

16. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I be getting ps4 I allready got 200 save up for the new console pricing point is great news for me :). But I will keep my ps3 next my ps4 :).

17. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I might get a PS3. I gather they will be really cheap when the 4 arrives. :)

18. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If they really bomb I might consider one as a media centre, depending on my accomodation arrangements this winter.

That said, I have a plan in the works for a ghetto HTPC casemod in an original Xbox case. I'll post more if it comes to anything, ofc :)

19. retard

retard New Member

I would like to buy PS 4 but i think it's better to upgrade my computer... PS 4 won't bring me the money :D

20. bananaman

bananaman banana muncher

This gen I really preferred my Xbox, but I am leaning towards PS4 as Sony really seem to be putting gaming as their focus... however, i have both preordered and will see which one to cancel nearer the time (roll on E3!)