So which Windows 7 do I need?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Matth, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

I have a scanner which has 32 bit drivers only (Microtek Scanmaker 6000), so that pretty much confines me to 32 bit, though some people reckon they've hacked 64 bit drivers by mixing models.

So, as I understand it:
    If I go OEM, that means choosing 32 or 64 bit from the get go, while if I go retail, I can change?

Next question, Home premium or Professional.

Is XP mode needed only for some specific things, or for a lot of XP era software?
    Is there a compatibility setting to run older stuff without using XP mode as such?

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Yeah with retail you get both 32 and 64bit versions, which could be beneficial later if you ditch that scanner. XP mode isn't very useful for home users, but rather there for companies that may have some mission critical software that can't be run otherwise. Running older programs isn't generally a problem and where the problem lies is usually with regards to the UAE security feature introduced in Vista. Any serious software companies dealt with that problem alraedy after the introducion of Vista, and if you have some program for which there are no updates then you can turn off UAE altogether. Quite a few users disable UAE anyway since it can get in the way, even if it has its benefits on overall system security. Similarly, running 32bit programs under 64bit Windows 7 or Vista is largely unproblematic. If problems arose they tended to be UAE related even when 64bit was still a relatively new thing at the launch of Vista.

If on a budget, a Home Premium upgrade package will do nicely. One can use the upgrade disk for a fresh installation as well, all it needs is to "taste" a previous Windows installation disc during the process. Edit: might be this was not a correct optional procedure. Here is an article with several methods for doing the clean install: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp And sometimes it will just work like any regular installation with the need of a special activation method.
    Might be worth mentioning also that when in a pinch, one can run any edition of Windows 7 as unregistered for 30 days. After that, using the CMD command "slmgr -rearm" in an elevated(run as administrator) CMD prompt even renews that 30 day period two to three times more. (Usually three times but I've seen it sometimes stop at two times for no apparent reason)

I've had Win7 Ultimate installed on my main computer but downgraded to Home Premium because there was nothing there that I needed, or wanted to have running in the background all the time either for that matter.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Ah, right
    Make older programs run in this version of Windows

So XP Mode is the workaround for the odd thing that won't run in compatibility, rather than THE way to run most XP stuff.

That's saved me a few quid then!

From what I read about upgrade, it does a HDD check, not a "show me a CD" check, though there are workarounds, though is the aggro worth it to save a tenner, now if I wanted Pro, then I'd be scraping for cost savings.

Some places (like ebuyer) seem to vary the prices randomly, I thought they were a lot closer together last week, and kicking myself for not getting it when the retail was today's offer, when it was as cheap as OEM!

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

heres the facts:

Doesn't matter which you get.. retail OR oem, you can swap back and forth using the same cd key for 64bit / 32bit .... But i recommend the 64bit OEM copy.

Home Premium is pretty much everything anyone would ever need... anything beyond that is a waste and completely unnecessary.

The only time you'd go any further is to get Pro, and that's specifically for XP mode... which generally i find for anything but hardcore business applications that refuse to advance beyond DOS, it's useless even for most games.

You can MOVE an OEM copy of windows to another machine ONCE, however there are cases where you can move it 2 or 3 times, but no guarantees. Personally i've moved a oem copy without questions 3 times, no problems at all. However it's best not to push your luck.

Retail can however be moved repeatedly from what i've seen. But i've noticed that microsoft seems to know how many times it's moved and likes to start poking you after about 5 moves.

NEVER, just don't EVER attempt to move or run more then one copy of the same keyed windows version. Just don't, trust me, i saw this happen and microsoft will NUKE that key faster then you can do anything. I had a customer insist on doing their own install, and instead of using different keys for apparently more then 1 computer, a day after she attempted to activate on both machines with success.... she lost the key.

5. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Oh, so that will work? and not get busted? so long as a disk in the appropriate flavour can be got hold of?

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I went with the PRO version to get the XP mode. That's because my wife has an old genealogy program that wouldn't run in Vista or 7. If it wasn't for that, I would have gotten Premium.

I recommend that you get with the UPGRADE version and install the 64-bit OS as opposed to the 32-bit. It's possible to install the upgrade version on a clean formatted drive. Usually it will install and allow you to activate it with no problems. Occasionally some people have problems getting it activated, but a simple Registry edit will get around that.

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Still figuring out the driver issue - Microtek released 32 bit drivers for a bundle of models, and 64 bit only for the "DI" series, though there seem to be some reports of success using the driver inf from the 64 bit with the other software - but if it's that easy, why didn't they make a full 32/64 release for all currently supported models?

At the moment, I don't need the 64 bit, and support for 64 bit is just too damn patchy. Is 64 bit any faster, like for like, a friend reckons it is, but comparing 32 bit RC with 64 final is not like for like.

8. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

There's not a huge difference even if 64bit is faster and more secure, so you'll probably want it eventually. Btw, you'll want to upgrade the memory to 2GB RAM in either case, if your System Specs are up to date.

9. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

If the encryption included in Professional is something you might need, then there are good free alternatives that you can get instead, like TrueCrypt.

As others have said XP mode is in general nothing that normal home users would ever find a use for, with a few exceptions.

So, I really don't see any reason to get anything else than Home Premium.

10. Judas

don't even need the appropriate disk as all the disks have all the main versions on them .... you just need to punch in your key and it'll automatically pick the correct version for that key....

11. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

Judas is correct. Home premium will have everything you need, especially if you aren't aware of what the pro/ultimate offers. He's also correct in that all the CDs (I guess DVDs now) have ALL the Windows versions on it. Depending on your key, the DVD will choose the version for you. This is why you can activate home premium, and then when you upgrade to say, ultimate, it can be done by just inputting the ultimate cd-key and the extra stuff will be in your Windows without having to reinstall, etc.

12. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Isn't the version keyed on the disk in 7? I remember quite a bit of discussion about that Vista feature being removed.

13. Judas

it wasn't removed ..... they just removed the N versions of vista on the latest sp1/sp2 disks in north america.... all the ultra/home/basic/starter are still on the new disks...

In vista/win7 .... you don't even need to punch in a key when you install, you can uncheck auto activation and proceed to install ANY version you like without a key... and then get asked every so often to activate...

do the slmgr -rearm command to extend it for 4+ months....

In the end.. you are not purchasing anything but the cd-key.. which you can pick anything you like .. so if you have a friend with win7 x64..... pop it in.. don't punch in any cd key.... and pick the version and trial it .... trial both versions and see what you want/need and then purchase the one you want

14. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Have you actually seen a Windows 7 DVD providing a selection menu like Vista? Because there's discussion on the web on how to get that, which suggests that the discs themselves are keyed to the specific version -- i.e., you can only install Ultimate off a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, unless you create a new DVD off it that doesn't contain the file saying which version it is.

15. Judas

considering that nearly every single month i install windows 7...... using a home premium disk.. i can install any version i want with the EXACT same menu as vista...... nothing is different.. so i don't understand there being any issue unless they made a major change for other places..

all my disks are OEM home Premium 64bit.... and they come with basic/premium/ultimate and i beleive starter is there too... don't put in a cd key... hit next.. and select the copy you wish to install.. simple as that