Software package to opperate and run a local only "database" from multiple machines

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Judas, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've got a custom with a particular problem.

Obviously everyone wants to have stuff free.. or as cheap as possible... the problem is, most of all the software packages out there are intended for use by large businesses with dozen if not hundreds of employees (and of course a high price tag)

The customer I've got wants to be able to something like one note.... combined with the spreadsheets of excel, and the addition of a basic inventory/order/job assignment type of system into one that allows multiple machines to access the same file open and update it on the fly in realtime without requiring other machines to close and re-open the file.

This would be similar to how say some accounting programs allow multiuser support. One that comes to mind is QuickBooks that has "mutli-user" mode which then relies on either a single machine or a dedicated server for the source file that allows multiple computers to process transactions or allow book keepers/accounts to add and change things without kicking everyone else off the system.

A bit of googling really turned up nothing. Add in the fact that majority of the "potential" solutions are online based (cloud) which "could" work, but none of them seem to allow this ability.

I figured i'd post this question here just in case someone might have an idea.

The major issue is the intended use, Almost all of the available software applies to one specific designation of use, and completely negates or doesn't include the other portions. I have no doubts there is anything out there that'll do it realiably let alone have the features required.

They figured if Microsoft's One Note has the ability to update in realtime with multiuser support over a network... they'd probably use that initially until they found something better... but i'm not finding anything.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Re: Software package to opperate and run a local only "database" from multiple machin

Google Docs? Multiple people can edit the same spreadsheet simultaneously, as long as they don't try to edit the same cell.

3. Judas

Re: Software package to opperate and run a local only "database" from multiple machin

that's the thing..... these guys aren't exactly technically inclined to begin with.. so you can pretty much guarantee they'll do that.

The other thing is that they were looking at google docs, but they'd need to split it so many ways, they want to try and keep everything on the same page without having to create and format a new page each time, and like I said, try to avoid using something internet based.

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

For free and (practically) out-of-the-box you're probably looking at Google Spreadsheets with templates that can be copied.
    When someone else is using a spreadsheet it does notify each person where the other person is and, in the case of a spreadsheet, which cell they're currently looking at or editing.

The alternatives, to my knowledge, would be to use a programmer that would probably do something like create a GUI for some SQL tables or use something like Sharepoint, which, if memory serves, allows multiple users to modify the same MS Office files at the same time. Both of these, however, are quite expensive.

Simultaneous use is a tricky thing to overcome. I don't know how I'd code that, personally.

5. Judas

so basically the same conclusion...... google docs..... or invest in some seriously expensive software.

Probably the best thing about this..... all the machines are windows xp and they only recently upgraded one of the machines from windows 98se.

Oh joy!

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

A database with no price tag... http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/start/

That's the backend, looks like Open/Libreoffice Base can be connected to it, using the ODBC driver