Software Pirates Get a Third of What You Spend

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, May 15, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: ABC News
    ________
    The rate of global software piracy has remained static for three years, but the cost to companies that make the programs is rising, the Business Software Alliance said Tuesday.

The BSA survey, conducted by the U.S.-based market research company IDC, concluded that for every $2 spent on legitimate software, $1 went to pirates.

2. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Bullocks.

3. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Africa.... who actually thinks people over there would even buy the software if piracy wasnt available? Im unemployed in a rich country, I can barely afford food through out the month, I cant imagine someone in Azerbaijan spending 100$+ on software.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It's too bad that someone at ABC gets paid for writing that story.

5. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Nor $500+ on a computer.

6. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

How many of us can afford a Ferrari? Just because you cannot afford something doesn't give you the right to steal. Stealing is stealing. I'm not trying to say I don't d/l programs and the like but there is no justification for stealing. I do agree that most programs are way overpriced and not worth the purchase. If its not worth the purchase the people shouldn't d/l it or buy it.

7. |2A|N

|2A|N SE7EN57

Hey the government takes our money, thats stealing also!
    What goes around comes around!

8. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

I think thats a crappy article lol. I own all of my software, and proud of it. Stealing is stealing but since the beginning of time, of someone can't afford it they seem to find a piece of it.

9. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

If you think a certain piece of software costs too much, you probably aren't the target user. Photoshop isn't about pasting domo-kun into a pop tart box to win a contest on fark. It's a tool that you can use to make a living.

Of course there are exceptions, but generally software cost is determined by your intended market and level of support.

10. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

If piracy has remained level, its obvious the efforts of software companies to create and implement copyright protection into their work is not effective.

I wonder how much money would be saved if they would just admit that whatever they do, someone is going to get around it. They would have to spend the time and money on protection, which would certainly help their gross margin and overall profit, right?

Its not that I agree with piracy, but its obvious that whatever they do, someone figures out how to hack it. If it was my company, I wouldn't be spending a whole lot of time trying to implement protection that is going to be hacked apart anyway.

11. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Copyright protection isn't about stopping piracy, it's about raising the barrier to begin pirating.

Sure you know how to find a crack or patch or serial number and then properly apply it, but you're a power user. For a lot of people the sheer fact that you have to put effort into finding how to steal the software is enough to deter.

What REALLY doesn't work is having some stupid pop up when you launch the program that's like "this software is not free, you can demo it even though it's fully functional but then you have to buy it". That altruistic crap is probably never even read because users don't read... especially if there's more than three words.

Seriously... how many of you are paying for winzip?

12. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I can nearly guarantee you anyone who knows how to use bit-torrent or a News Group knows how to come across a crack for software.

I'm not saying the devs to hand out their software and hope people pay them, but the intricate protection schemes are proven not to work.

13. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

What you are saying is true, pretty much no protection will stop 100% of people from pirating something. I think the point is that the protection doesn't have to work for 100% of people. But the companies do need it to work for at least some % of people, and to persuade the Average Noob that it would just be easier for him to buy it.

To the article, if they want to sell more in those 3rd world countries, they should cut prices. If they set 3rd world prices based on demand in 1st world countries, they shouldn't complain about 3rd world piracy. "It's the economy, stupid."