software to manually shut off hard drives?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Vampyromaniac, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of some software utility that allows you to manually shut off a hard drive whenever you want
    (so that you don't have to wait for Windows Power Management to kick in.)
    I couldn't find anything like that thru google :(

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

program like you want to see, someting just for the HDD power management or HDD idle timer is not available yet, atleast not for win XP, noone is interested in creating one for win XP, i think.
    but i'm not sure, maybe there's one available somewhere.

in win XP, when you set monitor's and HDD's turn-off feature of the Windows power management, the monitor's idle timer works and it'll be turned off as you've set it up. but the HDD may not turn off at the time that it has been setting to turn off and this because of the win XP is performing some background maintenance tasks, the tasks will reset the HDD's idle timer.

-------------------------

here's a full article about the above,
    Hard Disks Do Not Turn Off After Your Computer Has Been Idle. ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313300&Product=winxp )
    so i think, in order to turn off the HDD the programmer will have to write a software that can kill alot of Windows system tasks and 3rd party programs too, it's not easy and it may probably cause more harm than good to the Windows system.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  3. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

nuts :(

4. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

okay. sorry.

5. RCAS

RCAS New Member

In Linux you have an application that lets us do that, but for Windows I haven't seen one. It must be because of the Bad Power API Documentation.