[Solved] CPU Overheat + Corsair H100i v1: ("CPU Fan Error" + "CPU Over Temperature Error”)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ControlAlternateDelete, Jul 4, 2021.

1. ControlAlternateDelete

ControlAlternateDelete New Member

I have a 6-year-old, self-built, AIO water cooled PC (specs below) that for various reasons has only been in regular use for the past 3 years. For those last 3 years, there has been no change in configuration and things have been running smoothly (successful stress test done a year ago). Two days ago, I received a "CPU Fan Error" and “CPU Over Temperature Error” on bootup and on subsequent examination, the CPU was found to be running consistently at 99-100 C at idle (rapid linear increase).

SPECS:

Cooling (liquid): Corsair H100i v1

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

MoBo: Asus Maximus VI Formula

PSU: Corsair HX1000

Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540

From my reading, the possible reasons for this "CPU fan error and overheat" could be:

a) Cable connection issues (to the PSU and/or motherboard)

b) Thermal paste has dried up

c) Poor seating of CPU cooler and/or dust clogged exhaust fans

d) Failure of the AIO water cooler

What I did:

A) Cable Connection Issues: Since the configuration has not changed and the computer has been running smoothly till now, I assume that this cannot be the issue. In any case, all connections were found to be secure (including the three pin "CPU_fan") and I even changed the SATA connection to the PSU with no improvement.

B) Thermal Paste Drying: Old thermal paste was removed and replaced with fresh paste

C) Poor Seating or Clogged Fans: Seating was confirmed to be solid; exhaust fans (horizontal, located at the top of the case) are visibly working and dust free. Mild vibration in pipes is felt.

D) Failure of AIO Water-cooling: When the status of the H100i was checked using Corsair's Link application, it showed coolant temperature at 70-80 C (on average), pump fan speed at around 2500 rpm and exhaust fan speed at around 2700 rpm.

After all this, I still am receiving the same errors.

So, my question is how should I proceed? Everything seems to be working! Despite this, the CPU is not being cooled.

A) Cables seem secure.

B) Thermal paste has been replaced.

C) Despite the CPU fan error thrown up, the Link software shows both the pump fan and exhaust fans are running. In addition, the high temperature of the coolant would seem to indicate that it is taking up the heat from the CPU. Is it sufficient to say the water cooler is working because the fans are working? Could the fans be working and the water cooler still not doing its job? Any way to check that?

D) Additional Question: The CPU is currently running at 100 C at idle/minimum load, as soon as Windows loads. Is that solely because of the lack of heat removal or could the CPU itself be at fault? Shouldn't a CPU at idle run at a much lower temperature even in the absence of cooling?

Finally, where can I find the fan settings in BIOS? I cannot seem to locate them.

I do not want to buy a new CPU cooler only to find out the problem is something else since the refund/return policy where I am is non-existent. Any help is appreciated. If any other information is required, I will try my best to provide it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

First of all, I never had watercooled PC and never will as I do not trust them. Having that in mind, my "2 cents" on the matter.

I will start with the very last D) you mentioned. A modern CPU without cooling might reach very high temps even on idle. Having said that...I have been through the time when CPUs did not require cooling at all and times when they would just die without one. At some point in the 90s the CPUs would also be made so that if the temps went very high they would lower in clock speeds so that they don't burn. I have to admit I don't know what is going on with current CPUs on this situation as I have never had anyone try this, including myself, in decades. When the CPU reaches 100C, do the fans speed up? Does the CPU slow down?

Do temps go up in BIOS?

Thermal paste doesn't dry up from one day to another. So you wouldn't see such a huge difference in just 2 days. Even if the thermal paste when you replaced it was completely dry, it wouldn't make any sense to be the culprit in this case.

Do you have a backup cooling solution for the CPU? I am talking about a non watercooled one. If you do, test with that one too.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've seen a few cases where the AIO pump has failed and yet the reported speed is the usual. Another is that the impeller on the pump has failed, resulting in the pump still running but not moving any coolant at all really.

In almost ALL cases in which i've dealt with AIO, 3-5 years tends to be about average before some form of catastrophic failure occurs.

Your arguably best diagnostic solution is to simply pull the AIO off and out, drop a heatsink of some measurably decent quality on there, and then see what it returns.

A full bios cmos reset is often a good idea too as a followup. Just in case some weirdness happened where it says it's doing one thing while doing another.

IvanV likes this.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Sounds like a pump failure of some sort. It's hard to imagine a different cause.

The coolant getting hot means that there is contact between the waterblock and the CPU. That doesn't mean that it's working, though, if the coolant temperature is measured inside the waterblock/pump, which is most likely the case, then the coolant might not actually be moving and the water that's in the block is getting hot, but it's not going anywhere to dissipate the heat.

With the coolant at 80°C, if it were circulating, the radiator would have to get quite toasty! Still, I wouldn't torture that CPU by powering it on in this state again just to check this.

As Judas said, put any air cooler that you have that is compatible (even the stock one if nothing else) and it should keep things reasonable at least on idle. I have a similar CPU as you, the 4790K, and with the stock cooler, I saw it shoot up to around 90°C under load while turboing (so I disabled turbo boost until I got a decent cooler), but idle temps were fine-ish and, with turbo boost off, even the load ones were... "not great, not terrible", so it would be safe to use and make sure if swapping the cooler would solve your problem.

BTW, for cooling, I've been using the old reliable, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, for almost 7 years and it's perfectly adequate for a CPU like ours as long as you're not chasing any OC records. Mine is happily working at 4.4GHz all cores with a manually set voltage to reduce the heat output and the cooler is handling that with ease. If you really don't want to pay much, you can also look at LC-CC-120. It's even cheaper than the 212 and supposedly the performance is on par.

5. ControlAlternateDelete

Trusteft, Judas & IvanV: Thanks for the detailed replies!

Thanks for the info: that means the CPU is not the issue.

When the CPU reaches 100 C the fans do not increase speed greatly (maybe 20% increase).

Exactly: Which once again points to the cooler itself.

So that would explain the fans running with no effect.

While I should have researched this beforehand, throwing out a complete AIO system every few years seems really wasteful.

Okay, so neither the fans speeds nor coolant temperature are clear indicators.

Unfortunately, no. After six years I have no idea where the original stock cooler is. I'll see if I can track it (or a replacement) down for testing.

I was considering the Noctua NH-D15 or the DEEPCOOL Assassin III but both are too wide for my current setup (they would overlap the first PCI-E slot). I'll look into the EVO. Any other recommendations that are slightly smaller than the Noctua NH-D15 or the DEEPCOOL Assassin III?

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Trusteft

Exactly.
    Though it's a waste to get one in the first place.
    At least as far as I am concerned .
    The only time one will NEED one is to perhaps do some heavy overclocking.
    Other than that, what's the point? It's not sound levels as they come with fans too. It's not saving room, as the whole system needs more space than a normal cooling solution. It's not safety or durability because it can't be. It's not cost.
    So, other than people who need it for some heavy duty over clocking, the only other two reasons I can think of for going for watercooling is for saving some room over the CPU area of the motherboard (for which you need more space elsewhere), because you like how it looks inside. Or because one gets a nerdgasm for the idea they use watercooling for their home PC.
    All of them terrible reasons, though IMO perfectly acceptable if one is aware of them in advance.

Good luck either way.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you want a nh-d15... loook at hte nh-d15S... as it's offset so that more room can be given to the first pci-e slot. For those systems where the pci-e is lined up with the first removable slot for the rear of the case, this is the solution, otherwise many boards tend to put the first in the 2nd spot which would allow for the standard nh-d15.

Personally and professionally i get asked about AIO and custom cooling loops, and unless the customer insists otherwise, i simply state the facts and let them decide:

Liquid cooling has several points of failure that no heatsink of any quality does, leaks, pump failure, and the coolant itself becoming a problem (impurities, turning to sludge, clogging)
    If any point of failure occurs, it can be catastrophic resulting in complete destruction of many parts if not all leaving you with a shell.

The worst that can happen to a heatsink typically is the fan failing and the system throttling, i've never seen a fan failure cause destruction short of fan blades flying off and managing to destroy something else (never seen this though just the concept of it as being possible).

With a noctua NH-D15S, you could EASILY have complete fan failure and the heatsink in most cases can continue to operate the system basically problem free without much concern for temperatures in most cases.

Also in heavy overclocks and such, a high end heatsink pretty much often matches that of a highend liquid cooling solution. The only real exception to this rule that i can certainly understand for the simple fact of being realistic, is cooling that which isn't easy to mount massive heatsinks to or isn't as practical, and that is a GPU usually. Though a few people that have managed to mount a cpu heatsink of any size to a gpu often get very good results, provided they find a way to keep the vram and other parts cooled too (which again isn't often practical).

So i can understand the desire for some enthusiasts to liquid cool a gpu, though personally i'd still avoid it since it's still rather unnecessary compared to just getting a 3 slot gpu with massive heatsink.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that the Noctua NH-D15 is a bit of an overkill for your CPU. The NH-U12S is a much more reasonable option and should fit your motherboard better while still outperforming the 212 EVO that I'm happily running. There is also the NH-U12S Redux, which apparently performs about on par with the original U12S and is even more reasonably priced.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  9. ControlAlternateDelete

: |

Trusteft and Judas: Thanks for the detailed explanation on water cooler issues. Since I don't plan to overclock anytime soon I will be switching to an air cooler, if I can.

This is the actual issue: because of my setup I cannot move the first PCI-E card (all the slots are used or covered up by other cards). I will be starting another thread on this forum about recommendations for air coolers that can fit my space (with measurements) and I will try to link that post here if that is possible/allowed. Your opinions there would be most welcome

Thanks, IvanV: I'll look those up now.

Much obliged to everyone, for being so helpful. Will leave this post up till Sunday in the unlikely event any new ideas crop up and then will close it with thanks.

Trusteft likes this.
  10. ControlAlternateDelete

11. ControlAlternateDelete

Went through all your recommendations and based on them, product availability and what PCPartsPicker.com was able to show me about their positioning, finally settled on the Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition.

Installed and working great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marking this thread solved, repping and closing (if possible and allowed).

Thank you all for reading and esp. Judas, IvanV andTrusteft for your help. You made a complex issue, straightforward.

IvanV and Trusteft like this.
  12. Trusteft

Happy computing/gaming.