Some advice on upgrading my monitor

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by bratboy, May 28, 2009.

1. bratboy

bratboy New Member

Okay I'm about to switch to a new monitor that has HDMI connnector. My 4870x2 cam with a DVI to HDMI adapter so was planning to use that but I'm not sure how best to proceed. I am hopeing since its a WS mFlat Panel this will be an easy switch

Should I just remove the old monitor in device manager shut down connnect the new monitor and reboot and rerun the ATI driver pkg so it installs the HDMI resolutions or is there another step I am missing in the process?:)

Appreciate any advice
    Jess

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i would suggest against using HDMI unless you really have to (reasons being long distances/long cables or something)

your best connection still is DVI, no conversions. (until display port becomes the norm)

The only reason to use HDMI would be if you don't have DVI available on your monitor. OR if you want to transmit audio through the hdmi cable to a tv anyways.

The monitor is one of the most important things you can get, a good quality higher end style monitor is worth every penny and it's typically one of the longest lasting peices of hardware you can buy like a keyboard or mouse or even a set of speakers.

I highly recommend samsungs midrange to higherend LCD Displays, Samsung has LED backlit LCD displays on the burner right now, but obviously they come at a premium.

3. bratboy

bratboy New Member

I already have the monitor. Not the greatest, Dell 2407WFP-HC, but nice and new and it has Component, DVI and HDMI connections on it. The main reason I was considering using the HDMI connection was I thought it would produce a better image but if not then it makes no sense to use the adapter that came with my Sapphire card. The cable running to the monitor will only be approx 3 ft.

4. Judas

Yeah it's not going to improve anything... they are both digital signals, and quite likely on the monitor, the hdmi input was designed for 1080p signals not computer style signal.... (i've ran into that kind of weird thing on some "questionable" brands/models of monitors that wouldn't accept a 1920x1200 resolution and resulted in a stretched 1920x1080 resolution instead)

5. bratboy

bratboy New Member

Well duh apparently the whole HDMI thing was moot. according to the manual at dell it doesnt have an HDMI connection, silly me. Here's what it says for DVI:

Video display capabilities 480p/576p/720p/1080p (supports HDCP)

Anyway here is a link to the online manual:
    Documentation

Still need to make sure what steps I need to take when swaping to the new panel.

Do I need to delete the old panel which Win7's device manager lists as Generic PnP Monitor and uninstall my current drivers or do I simply need to pwr down my system switch monitors reboot and then possibly rerun the ATI driver pkg so any new or different rezes are added.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. Judas

i've NEVER rebooted or shutdown or even removed the older monitor profile or device driver....

i just unplug the dvi cable, hook up the new monitor, plug it in, and windows usually automatically detects and adjust the resolutions and frequencies automatically without a hitch.. the EDID information should snap everything around the moment the dvi cable connects to the computer.

but that's just me.. (i hot swap monitors like crazy reguardless of lcd or crt...)

7. bratboy

bratboy New Member

Well went just fine. just powerd down the monitor switched cables and it identified and set the proper rez without me having to do a thing. Boy seems things have changed alot since the "Old Days" where you had to manually do everything.

Now if I could just get a chip implant for my head:D

8. Judas

actually they have a chip implant for your brain.. but i wouldn't recommend it...

9. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

you have the HC version of the 07? isnt there inverse ghosting?

i ALMOST got the regular wfp2407 (last september), but it was getting old & had no hdmi

10. bratboy

bratboy New Member

Honestly not sure how to check for the issue but at least so far it looks pretty good to me