Some help with a quiz if you could

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mr Cairo, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So for years now I have run regular quizes for my sons karate club as fundraisers (My wife and I are the main source of spendable cash for the club)

We train in a school nearby that is a place for kids with special needs and others with autism all across teh spectrum and we use their Gym as its cheap and roomy , before lockdown one of the teachers attended a quiz and she has gotten in touch and asked if I can do a quiz for the kids and parents over zoom. The school has a live in facility so a lot of the kids and parents are at the school and grounds 24/7

anyway taking into account that not all can read and not all have the best attention span for questions we decided on 30 traditional general knowlege, TV films but also 30 audio visual questions

I need help sorting out 15 iconic recognisable but maybe not instantly sounds like The Netflix noise, Nokia ringtone, Windows startup, The THX whahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kind of thing, close encounters 5 tones

any suggestions ?

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Sound of a Tie Fighter flying by or perhaps the DeLoren from B2TF jumping. Sound of Ecto 1 from Ghostbusters siren.

This is actually quite tough.

Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Mosquito buzzing ... Whippoorwill chirping... Train pulling into station....

4. Mr Cairo

Like all of those I may add Godzilla and a Lightsabre as well .. and yeah I agreed without thinking its tougher than I expected

I wont do animals but Train in station could be something I can nick from Harry Potter so that would work . also for some reason that made TARDIS sound pop into my head

Dyre Straits likes this.
  5. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

The Intel "dings"... The sound that was at the very end of each commercial.

QB

Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What's the age of the target group?
    Because for example the examples you gave in the op, I doubt any kids will know them, no matter what their condition is. Apart perhaps from Netflix, which funnily enough I don't know the sound of.

Anyway, a couple from me.
    The sound of a sms message arriving. The sound of an Apple computer switching on. The sound of a mouse clicking. The sound of a basketball hitting the net. The sound of a baseball/cricket bat.
    The sound of my hopes and dreams going down the drain.
    You get the picture.

7. Mr Cairo

yes thats a good one

The school is a secondary school so in teh UK thats normally ages 11-13 but the quiz is a family one, its an odd situation I have met a lot of the kids and some engage some dont, some speak some dont so I have to try and find a way to hit a balance that means parents can encourage their own kids however they can

I dont know if I should make it more every day than I am though I mean i recognise all these sounds but my mind goes to film, sci fi and games so I may be looking at to narrow a field

8. Trusteft

Yeah, but, let's face it, if the kids were not around, you wouldn't do this. The kids are the real target here, right?
    I have no proper education/training on how to deal/train kids other than one seminar 20 years ago, I am hardly an expert not having children either.
    Film sci-fi, games are excellent choice, but are they the best choice for kids and kids with perhaps different way of thinking and processing stuff? Even more so, sounds which are more than a couple of years old? Do kids today even know Nokia? Windows startup sound? etc.

Funny thing, I was watching an episode of Warehouse 13 (I think it was an episode from 2012) where one of the guys made a Top Gun reference. His audience was some 20 year old and they didn't get it. Or for example how if any kids know Eddie Murphy today it is for his voice acting work in that movie(s) with the green monster, I forget the name, Kermit?
    Jokes aside, I think you get my point.

Perhaps a mix of entertainment sourced sounds and everyday sounds would work better? I don't know. Good luck though.

9. Mr Cairo

Yeah your right I think Im going to have to rethink this and go for more every day sounds ....

"Moooo"

"Cow ?"

"yes but what breed?"

I am keeping the Lightsabre sound though

Trusteft likes this.
  10. Trusteft

I can't tell if you are joking or not.
    Either way, I am sure you will come up with a fine solution.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  11. Mr Cairo

I am joking its just im used to doing quizzes for cash prizes and normally make them quite hard or logically difficult ... normal question is along the lines of

"In 1912 three restaurants called the Cafe Parisienne, the Verandah and the Palm Court all closed permanently at the same time , Why ?"

I will figure it out this really is just something new ... I will get it done then do a dry run on some of the club kids in zoom to see what they think, school is doing selection boxes and books as prizes for all kids that enter so I dont have to worry about that side of it, just worried that I have to entertain people I dont actually know as opposed to the Karate club where I know them all :)

THink I will just mix it and do one that adults should get and then 1 that the kids would probably get Tardis, Lightsabre, Possibly Spidermans Thwipp sound, ... see what TV shows are popular and if there are any sounds I can steal, then add in some common sounds like you all suggested and others and just just alternate them as Parent noise Kid Noise Parent Noise Kid noise

As for the question above the Titanic sank in 1912 and they are the on-board restaurants

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Trusteft

First time in my life I want to hug a judge.

Mr Cairo likes this.