someone just tried to break in next door

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dom, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

Well, apparently someone just tried to break into the apartment next to mine. I heard a bang at the door and it was the landlord yelling and asking what happened out in the hall. To both me and my mother's surprise there were marks on the doorframe of the door next to our backdoor. Apparently made by a flathead screwdriver. Whoever tried to break in didn't manage to do so because my neighbor's bed was against the door. Which is lucky for them because the couple next to us have two small children and only their mother was home at the time.
    No one knows who tried to break in or how he or she got in to the building because there are two main doors on the first floor just to get in, which both have locks. I don't think my neighbor saw the person but apparently he left through the roof, which is just a flight of stairs away from the door, which he tried to enter. My landlord looked up on the roof and no one was there.
    My mother said she heard banging in the hallway at about 10:30AM EST, I didn't hear it because I was listening to music at the time, but we assume this is when the break in was attempted. When my mother mentioned this to the landlord, the landlord acted as if it was our job to check the hall each time we hear a loud noise out there. My mother didn't check because new flooring had recently been put down out there and she figured someone was putting molding on the floor base. But regardless of that or not it really isn't our job to check for burglars, especially when they could very well be armed.
    The landlord wanted my mother to call the police but she was just about to leave so I offered but she refused and said she'd have her daughter call, or something. Neither my neighbor nor landlord speak much English, so it's hard to understand just what might have happened.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I spent quite a time in the states and it seems its getting to be like that all over.

Glad no one was hurt.

3. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

man i bet that is scary, my friend lives in a shady apartment and sometimes i worry, she sleeps w/ a hammer

4. Danhill

Danhill New Member

Thats scary, hope they don't come again.

5. Dom

Dom New Member

It seems he got in through the roof becuase it's latch was broken off. Also the person who got in the building was apparently a tall black guy, he supposed knocked on someone's door on the first floor and asked for a guy named Rob. When told no one named Rob lived there he left, I don't know if this happened before or after trying to break in on the third floor.

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

that's kinda creepy....some guy tried to break into our neighbors house a month or so ago, but wasn't too clever and picked the house with the german shephard

7. Louiemaster

Louiemaster Masto Commando

holy crap i would be scared out of my pants if that happened to me. Once someone tried to break into the classrooms of our school at night. There were marks right where that little thing coming out of the door is (dont know what it is). Really scaring. But they didnt cancel school or anything so that sucks:(

8. Dom

Dom New Member

I'm not really scared at all. I am, however, concerned that this guy might comeback and try my apartment when I'm not home. I don't want no one trying to steal my stuff when I'm not here to protect it.

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

try landmines :)

10. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

did anyone generate a police report, or get a snapshot of this person? I dont advocate getting a gun, but if you have one keep three rounds at least in the chamber, my parents house was broken into by Meth freaks and they got away with my dads gun collection, and other stuff, most of it was recovered from a meth lab set up in a pickup truck. If my father was there he would have shot all four of the teenagers that broke, so in a way I am glad he wasnt.

11. Dom

Dom New Member

I do not own a gun. I do, however, have kitchen knives and a nice 30oz, 34'' metal Easton baseball bat.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

yeah, its hard to get a legit gun in New York I suppose, but if you can get a small 25 caliber or even a 32, you dont need to practice to hit center mass at 25 yards, aim low for the gut or groin at close range. arm and leg wounds might slow them down if they try to escape, for Gods sake dont attempt to wound them if they are fleeing out of a window, the bullet could travel 2000 yards before losing enough energy and fall to earth. I prefer a clean head shot, I am trained to do that with a number of weapons from close range, more effective and no one that can sue you if they are dead. You might not be a killer, but when it comes to your home or your life, I choose the later. When someone breaks into private property they take a risk of getting hurt.

I think in New York, you have to warn the thief or assailant that you possess a gun, and tell them you will use it. Having said that be wary of chasing them, they can double back and try to take the gun away from you. If you have to shoot them in the gut, shoot twice, the energy from the round will expand in the intestines or the hollow organs make them bleed internally fast enough to reduce the pain from the wound.

do not shoot them or hit them in the back if they are running, paralysis could occur instead of death or a contra coup injury to the brain and you have a screaming and paralyzed perpetrator on your hands, better to silence them for the benefit of everyone including the alleged criminal. Do not allow anyone to see you with a gun if at all possible. Do not show the gun to neighbors, they may be in colusion with the burglers, i.e. inside job. REMEMBER SHOOT TO KILL, if you gonna use a bat, for god sake hit them in the neck or the lower jaw, it will inflict enough pain or force enough bone back into the naso pharynx to kill them within minutes. Usually a blow to the abdomen, knees or calf muscle will immobilize them long enough for law enforcement to arrive and take over, but enough force accurately used can still render the burgler violent and dangerous, I prefer a clean kill if your gonna hurt someone.

If the firearm is not registered you have violated the law, so get a good visual image in your mind, and for gods sake if you know them use your own judgement but I still advise you protect yourself with deady force only if absolutely necessary.

A posted warning on the apartment door with permission of the super should suffice. Things you cant do:
    1. put broken glass or booby traps on the skylight, windows or fire escape.
    2. post signs that express your desire to kill any potentiol burglers.
    3. Advertise that you are willing to encounter burglers or thieves on their terms in your domicile.
    4. Hire or deputize people to act on your behalf should the any attempt be made on your person or apartment.
    5. Use chemical booby traps or one way doors, if you trap the burgler and expose them to bleach and ammonia bombs you could be prosecuted for murder, and false imprisonment so be careful.
    6. do not stalk the burgler or perpetrators back to their homes or place of business and threaten them in public.
    7. Do not under any circumstances make firebombs or neck snares for the windows or hallways, these can pose a hazard for law enforcement and tenants..
    8. Do not continue to pursue the burgler or thief if he takes a hostage, I cannot stress that enough, if you attempt to shoot him or her while they have a hostage, even if you are successful, you can be prosecuted for manslaughter.

Check local state and city ordinances DOM but I believe you have the legal right to shoot to kill with a registered weapon upon violation of your property or person of the parties concerned have been warned and the police have been contacted...or you could just set up a camera system and hope for the best, one outside your door connect to your PC might be useful.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  13. Dom

Dom New Member

Yes, if an intruder enters my abode I do have the right to terminate him.

But I don't want nor need a gun.

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

how about nasty remarks..that always gets them...
    yo momma jokes...then when they are trying to think of a snappy comeback..
    Use the ole willy stargel baseball bat..lol

15. Borealis

Borealis New Member

I'm a caretaker at the complex I live at, we've had alot of break-ins during my tenure. Out car has been broken into 2 times in 2 years, someone destroyed a pop machine (which we got alot of free pop from :D ). The landlords have told me to "patrol" our building and I flat out refused to do it, that would require hazard pay. I'm not a security guard, I'm here to keep the place looking nice. Not protect filthy slobs that I hate to begin with.

I have told them on occasion if I ever do run across someone, I will buy a gun and put a bullet in them if needed. They were warned about this up front and they had zero problem with it. I do however carry *ahem* sharp stuff with me if I am creeping around the building late at night. I also wear steel toe boots, so between sharp stuff and steel tipped virgin boots I'm ready to go, unless I run across someone else with a gun.

There is a very very good reason my wife doesn't allow me to own a gun. :duh:
    She knows I'm dumb enough to actually shoot someone with it.

I was also told a week or so ago a guy sat in his car in the garage AFTER calling the police and blew his head off a couple years ago. It's really creepy down there nowadays after learning that. One other guy drank himself to death on halloween last year(we liked his dresser so it's currently sitting in my daughters bedroom). Very very creepy cleaning dead peoples apartments especially when you know EXACTLY where they died at, it's like you can almost smell and feel the death in there..........god damnit I hate this job.:mad:

I can post a pic of the creepy car if anyone wants to see it?

16. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I think knives are a good idea. Big, ****-off shiny ones. Knives are good because they don't make any noise, therefore the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious.

glad you're OK, buddy :)

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

what if you accadently shoot them 511 times? :D then i could claim temp insanity j/k

Acually I prefur my compond hunting bow with broadheads.... makes no noise! thunk!

actually if there with in 10 feet and armed with something, knife , screwdriver, gun anything... thier with in lunging distance andmove any closer it's useally a legal self defence kill ;)

btw if they get hurt in your place, and survive they can and will sue you :rolleyes:

18. Borealis

Borealis New Member

For breaking and entering, trespassing and possibly attempted assault and battery vs. self defense. I doubt that would fly in court.

19. Dom

Dom New Member

I remember some dude broke into someone's house through their kitchen skylight... He fell on to a knife on a cutting-board and sued. I believe he won.

20. Borealis

Borealis New Member

He should've died...