Sony headphones joke.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The earpads for my headphones (Sony MDR-7506) are almost gone after 3 years of daily usage.
    They are dissolving . Not only it's not safe, it damages the audio quality and it's not safe as pieces fall off and might get in say food or drinks I have near me.
    Time for action!
    Early this year I ordered a pair of replacements from a third party. Very cheap, like 5 euros or something, but from a company I have heard before. I received them and did NOT try them for reasons I don't know. A couple of days ago I said enough is enough and I decided to swap in the new ones. Very nice blue color too!
    From the first few hours this proved a bad purchase. I don't know how it is possible, but the new earpads make my ears HURT. A lot. Painful.
    I tried to get used to them, but by last night I decided I rather not be in pain. I removed the new ones and put back the old ones. I am lucky I didn't throw them away, but kept them in the packaging of the new ones.

I thought I will get a couple more weeks out of them till I see what to do.
    So, again last night, I decided to order the official replacements. Not for 5 Euros, but for 30 total including shipping.
    Almost 1/3 of the money I spent to buy the headphones new (on sale). Too much money, but what can I do?

Few minutes ago I received a phone call from the shop. They called to clarify I didn't make any mistake in the order.
    I ordered 1 PIECE. Not a pair. ONE PIECE.
    The information is in the store/product page, but somehow it didn't register in my brain.
    So if I wanted to continue and purchase a second piece, to have a pair, then I would need to spend about 60 euros. 2/3 of the price of the headphones.

First of all, bravo to the shop for calling me.
    Second, I cancelled the order. I refuse to pay so much money for two small pieces of cheap FOAM. Yes it is foam, I can see it in all its yellow glory.
    So, not only the pads are poorly made, Sony asks for a stupid price for them too.
    Fuck off.

I am now looking to buy new headphones, not Sony.
    Even if I end up paying more money.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

HAd a pair of skullcandy ones thrown in as a gift with a new TV the earbud rubbers are very painful to wear for anything over a 30 minutes and they dont stay in without them ....I miss basic over the head headphones .

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

So tempted to get an AKG pair. I used to love them till I got the K99 and lost all faith in them. What a terrible terrible waste of money.

4. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I use my Steelseries Arctis Wireless over the head headphones, proper headphones mind, not earphones, for listening to music when I go out and they serve me well. :)

I also use them for my Xbox Series X.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

among many other reasons i refuse to wear or get headphones.

6. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

They're fine if you get decent ones, but they cost a bit. Good ones do, anyway.

7. Trusteft

Spent most of the day reading reviews and watching videos on various headphones and headsets.
    I have no reason to buy a headset, I have two standalone mics which I like very much. A Blue Ice and a Zoom H1n.
    So it's kinda funny I am now between two headsets as they appear to be of good build quality, good sound, very comfortable headphones.
    Asus ROG Delta Core, which for now is my first choice.
    Asus TUF Gaming H7 Core, which is my second choice.

I am going to wait till Monday to decide, because...there is no reason to hurry now. No one is going to ship anything on Sunday.

I will probably spend more time tomorrow, trying to find others too.
    My only issue is the price, they end up being about 80 Euros. I am feeling a bit cheap today.
    On the other hand, the Delta Core comes with extra pair of earpads...so...

8. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Ouch! They are as bad as the inkjet printer people!

I have AKG M220 headphones, which is the Massdrop version of AKG K240. I'm perfectly happy with them. I don't know how much do they cost in Greece, but they ought to be under 80€.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

This is exactly what I thought. I almost typed it last time.
    This is partly why I am leaning towards the Asus ROG Delta Core. They come with replacement pads!

10. Trusteft

So the reason the replacement third part earpads for the MDR-7506 are so bad is because they are smaller and harder, which turn the headphones from over ear to on ear. All third party pads are very similar which ruin the headphones. I don't know how people give them high ratings.
    With the official earpads costing close to 60 euros with shipping....after lots of research I ended up buying the
    Presonus HD-7 monitors for 50.5 euros total...
    So far not only they are more comfortable, they sound better too.
    [​IMG]

11. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Funny, I saw an ad for that exact model yesterday! Enjoy them! :)

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Trusteft

It's still early to know for sure, I need more time with them plus they need to get used to settle in (or whatever the term is), but I have to say so far I have some opinions about them.

1. They do have a cheaper feel to them when I touch them, but that is mostly due to the much lighter built and less slim design compared to the MDR 7506.
    2. The warm up the ears more. Not to an annoying level, but it is quite cold too. Time will tell on this one.
    3. I can't figure out why yet, especially since the impedance is lower than on the Sony, but for some sounds/music the volume needs to be higher.
    4. They are far more comfortable to my ears/head. Partly because they are lighter, but also because of the increased size of the headphones and of the earpads. The weight is balanced out more and there is very little contact with my ears. I am comparing to the original Sony's pads and not the smaller replacement of course. The replacement pads as I already have mentioned, SUCK.
    5. The sounds are very clear, high and mids. Difficult to compare them easily with the Sony. What is very easily noticeable though is the bass. Even though these are definitely flat monitors, the bass in them is there where needed. Surprisingly I haven't tried them with appropriate type games yet, but with EDM and 80s Pop, the bass is BEAUTIFUL. It's loud without drowning the rest of the piece. The type of sound you want to have.

So far I am impressed. The sound on these monitors is better than the 2-3 times more expensive Sony monitors.

Also I feel better for not having spent more money than they cost, to buy original replacement pads for the Sony.

Calliers and IvanV like this.