Sony joins new controller wars to compete with Microsoft

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 3, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Following on from Mig's news post earlier today, there is a video of content on the BBC site which makes for good viewing.

Sony has given the public the first view of its new game controller for the Sony PlayStation 3. The Motion Controller for PS3 uses two controllers that work in conjunction with the Sony PlayStation Eye.

The firm said it was a technology demo, but then said the new system would be available early next year. The news follows Microsoft's announcement on Monday of a controller-free control system it is calling Project Natal.

2. lepel

lepel New Member

Poor Wii. Now it has nothing special anymore to make it stand out from the other consoles.

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Looks like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

True Lepel but honestly I am surprised this didn't happen sooner.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

won't really matter.. the wii has already sold tons of consoles, and games..... still beating out the competition world wide if the figures i was reading are correct.

All nintendo will have to do now is build a brute of a console capable of matching the audio and graphical powess of the other console and then come up with something more inovative with the orginal wii design... they've had a few years to further improve the wii and take it to the next step.

5. HardwareHeaven

actually by the time nintendo bring out an HD console they will need to compete with the next generation. nintendo never focus on the power of their consoles, more just affordable featuresets and cool ideas. The only issue here is that the Ps3 and 360 already have HD and are bringing out control systems to compete (or surpass) the nintendo.

I will be honest and say that none of these motion based control systems interest me. If I play a game its normally late at night and im tired out, pushing a button or 3 is about as far as I want to go. If I want a work out, ill go to the gym.

Just goes to show how fat many people are if the biggest selling point of a console is to keep fit and jump around in a room. Ill pass ...

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Judas I don't know how many games Wii sells. All I know is I bought the Wii a year ago and in the 3-4 months I had it (or more accurately I was in the same place with it) I used it about 10 times. I find these games as fun as 3D glasses movies. They MIGHT be fun the first time you try them, but after a while you can't find the paper glasses or don't care enough to go through the ritual when you just want to watch a movie.

Most of the time I am too lazy, too tired or just want to play a game that doesn't make me sweat. Plus, I have yet to hear about someone playing a wargame and having the mouse slip through his fingers to break the monitor.

All this technology is cool and I will be very excited when they create "holodeck" entertainment, but for now...nah.

7. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I've been a nintendo boy my whole life but this generation I had to jump ship to xbox. The wii controls were cute at first and it's great that I can play a game with the older members in my family, but when it comes to the hardcore game experience the platform is worthless. I lent my wii to my fraternity before I graduated in 2007 and I haven't asked for it back yet. I've played a couple games since then on my roommate's wii, but I couldn't even tell you the last time I turned it on. Last game I played was Mario Galaxy.

I'm really sad that sony and microsoft are going to jump into this gimmick-fest with nintendo just for the sales it generates. I do think right now that sony has the best offering (this from someone who refuses to buy a playstation) but I'll reserve final judgement until there's more details from microsoft. Specifically, how the heck their system will fare in situations where you want buttons in your hand. Nintendo's transformers-remote with all of its clunky attachments and cables I can do without for the rest of my existence.

8. Judas

i always find it really interesting and funny when i hand someone that is a hardcore halo/gears of war/cod nut, a wii controller and load up metroid prime 3...

the first few moments they say how gay the controls are, then about 15 minutes they start to get the hang of it and start litterly jumping around, after 30 minutes they won't give me the wiimote back OR leave me house.

9. YAYitsAndrew

As a lefty there's really no salvation for the wii. My whole life I've been using my left thumb to move around characters and I'm very good at it (think Super Monkey Ball). Now that I have to use my dominant hand to point at the screen I'm stuck with my right thumb moving characters around. I actually had a hard time beating SMG but not because the game is hard. It was because I kept walking off edges.

It's the same thing on the DS. I have to draw with my left hand and the games with a lefty mode (thank you for that at least) have you using the buttons as your d-pad. Guess how good of a substitute they are.

10. Judas

not good obviously..

but the numchuck and wiimote are completely interchangable..

for metroid prime, it doesn't matter what hand you have either in, the buttons corrispond exactly with whichever action you want to do...

i played left handed without a problem aside from having to get used to it again.

11. HardwareHeaven

Well you need to stop hanging around with 5 year old kids .... you get locked up for that here.

incidentally judas its nunchuk, unless you meant numbnuts?

12. Judas

na.. not 5 year olds..

and yes... nunchuk

13. Trusteft

Confused...so, you finally realise how righties feel since they started releasing arcades and pads with the movement stick on the left in the early 90s?

14. YAYitsAndrew

I don't think there's any correlation between handedness and controlling characters. I use IJKL on my right hand to move around in all FPS games for example, so you can learn either way. I do think that the industry has set precedence by using the left stick for so long, though. Since pointing at the screen IS something you try naturally with your dominant hand, lefties have to forfeit long-standing skills. Makes me feel like a colorblind player, like I have a physical handicap on the wii.

15. Trusteft

So you are saying lefties dominant hand is their right?

16. YAYitsAndrew

No? I can't quite figure out how you got that from what I said either.

To restate: regardless of dominant hand, you learn how to play games with a certain control scheme. For as long as I've been alive controllers have had the d-pad on the left. Now that the wii exists with a new control scheme, the transition has been seamless for righties. They're naturally pointing at the screen with their right hand, which leaves the control stick in the left hand where it's always been. This isn't the case for lefties. As far as being left handed is concerned, using pointing + nunchuk is equivalent to being handed a controller with the stick on the right side.

The DS does this as well, since you have to draw with the left hand and move characters around with your right.

17. Trusteft

That's the thing, the dominant control scheme with the control pad on the left side is the wrong one for the righties. You see when the arcades etc started to expand a lot from the mid late 80s they changed the control design and the movement sticks were moved to the left side so that they make the games harder for the righties. Of course after so many years this change is not as a problem for most gamers, righties that is.

So I was confused with what you said since if anything else, you should have it even easier to have the control stick on your left.
    Thus my original point, you will get used to it.

18. YAYitsAndrew

What arcade games had the stick on the right side? The arcade I used to play DDR at when in high school had a bunch of vintage stuff and the only weird thing I remember is roller balls on some games. (Take THAT Golden Tee.)

Having the stick on the left side isn't wrong for righties. Classic controllers don't use any dominant hand traits so no matter your handedness you can use it as equally as anyone else. If console makers started making controllers backwards then both lefties and righties would have to deal with an equal handicap.

This is unlike the wiimote and ds stylus because they mimic writing which IS reliant on your dominant hand. So now after all these years of handedness not mattering, lefties find themselves with two things they want to do with their left hand. Use the d-pad on the DS and draw with the stylus, or use the nunchuk control stick and point the wiimote on the wii. Righties are playing games just as fine as before and lefties are learning a new control scheme, which by your own admission, is a way to artificially inflate the difficulty of a game.

19. Judas

i understand the problem...

as i can grab the wiimote and try to play reversed and it's a WHOLE new ballgame when your trying to point and be as precise with your non dominate hand meanwhile the dominate hand was never controlling the non dominated controls before so it's a double wammy in terms of having any form of familarity.

20. Trusteft

DDR? LOL, dude, I am talking about early to mid 80s when proper right sticks were used in 99.9% of the systems. If you don't remember that is fine. from about late 80s and heavily from early 90s, they changed it for good.
    If you don't remember, for whatever reason, that is ok, I don't really care or it matters much since it's in the ancient (gaming) past. But, you can learn to use your right hand no matter what you may think, but for that to happen you have to keep trying and not give up.