Sony posts $1.2 billion loss as mobile business falls off a cliff

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Oct 31, 2014.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Sony had a particularly rough quarter, due in large part to its mobile business.

Sony overall generated $17.4 billion in revenue but posted a net loss of $1.2 billion during its fiscal second quarter, which ended September 30, Overall, revenue was up 7.2 percent compared with the same period last year, due in large part to the popularity of the company's PlayStation 4, Sony announced Friday.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Lolololol, new mobile chief.

I wonder why people don't buy more Sony mobiles, I've had one before and they are pretty solid products.

3. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

The mobile section is really a tough market....

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

is that an actual loss, or just less profit compared to the similar period last year... which companies love to quantify as a loss.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can tell you why I don't buy them even though I used to for the most part in the 2000s. Android. And lack of physical keyboard.
    Since they are exactly like 99% of the other phones out there, why one would buy them instead of the much cheaper rivals?

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I don't see Sony's phones as expensive. They have highend models, like Z3, but so do HTC, Samsung, LG and so on and Z3 is a brilliant phone. They have Z3 compact, which is the only compact model of a highend, which isn't totally gimped in hardware.

Then they have phones for the midend segment, like T3 and for the low end series the have the M series. All fine phones and fairly priced, but they need more phones in this segment. The built quality on Sony phones are high, they have had waterproof models for some time, they have a good screen with excellent battery time. I'll buy Sony any day over crappy Samsung.

But Sony has been facing the same problems, like eg. HTC and LG, that the market has shifted and they realize that to late, which is the results they are seeing now. The market isn't all about the highend phones more, because of excellent cheap Android phones like the Moto G and even the higher midend segment has taken a hit, with the Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and some good priced Windows Phones.

7. Resistor

Resistor Get it Going..

Way too many phones out there... In actual fact that Samsung's market share had slide off. Company like Xiaomi is coming up...
    It is just cutthroat a market except for Iphone due to their great marketing and placing themselves as the Premium smartphone!