Sony Vegas Movie Studio locks up: Threads Merged

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by dogwalker, Sep 23, 2007.

1. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I'm new to this board, hope I picked the correct forum. I've struggled with fixing this problem for weeks, finally resorting to reinstalling Windows this weekend, but still have the problem.

My son recently got me interested in video editing - in my case, it's editing our Hi8 home movies and putting them on dvd, but hopefully with a little flair.

So, I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum, and when it works, I love it. Unfortunately, it frequently completely locks up my computer. If it would simply lock the application, I could handle that, but this really bothers me.

Trying to fix this, I've swapped hard drives (went from two PATA to two SATA), removed my gigabit NIC and opted for onboard LAN, have uninstalled applications, and finally reformatted.

Oh, and I installed VMS on a second computer in my study, and it works fine on that one. Unfortunately, my sons usually have it occupied, and it's not as beefy anyway. I'd really rather have this running on my personal computer.

No other applications lock up my computer, but then again, since upgrading to this computer, I haven't done much (gave my previous one to the boys) other than games and photo editing.

I have the 7.9 Catalyst drivers. I can't help but wonder if my motherboard is a piece of junk. Even though I've had ECS mobos in the past (K7S5A's) with no problems, I read so frequently that ECS mobos are no good.

OTOH, I've also read that lots of people have problems with the X1950XT in various situations.

Today, though, I'm going to remove the Audigy card, and that's the last card I have, other than the video card.

FWIW, I do get weird messages in Event Viewer for ATI, and I have googled for them, but haven't found anything consistent.

Under ACEEventLog

0000000001: 2007-09-23 11:05:58:828 Exception <atixcode.dll>: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {981145A7-E08E-48F3-A1C4-52C28BCAAAF9} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared.TC_Component::CheckTrancodeComObject processID:02792 threadID:(CCCThreadNew:Wizard) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared, Version=2.0.2756.30593, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

and

0000000001: 2007-09-20 23:03:20:171 Failed to merge manifest file: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml with exception: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml'.

Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.MergeManifest::ReadManifest processID:01804 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Foundation.XManifest, Version=2.0.2756.30635, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

2. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Sony Vegas Movie Studio locks up

I'm not sure whether to post this on the Drivers (since I have an X1950XT) or motherboard (since I wonder if my ECS PT890T-A is the issue). I've struggled with fixing this problem for weeks, finally resorting to reinstalling Windows this weekend, but still have the problem.

My son recently got me interested in video editing - in my case, it's editing our Hi8 home movies and putting them on dvd, but hopefully with a little flair.

So, I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum, and when it works, I love it. Unfortunately, it frequently completely locks up my computer. If it would simply lock the application, I could handle that, but this really bothers me.

Trying to fix this, I've swapped hard drives (went from two PATA to two SATA), removed my gigabit NIC and opted for onboard LAN, have uninstalled applications, and finally reformatted.

Oh, and I installed VMS on a second computer in my study, and it works fine on that one. Unfortunately, my sons usually have it occupied, and it's not as beefy anyway. I'd really rather have this running on my personal computer.

No other applications lock up my computer, but then again, since upgrading to this computer, I haven't done much (gave my previous one to the boys) other than games and photo editing.

I have the 7.9 Catalyst drivers. I can't help but wonder if my motherboard is a piece of junk. Even though I've had ECS mobos in the past (K7S5A's) with no problems, I read so frequently that ECS mobos are no good.

OTOH, I've also read that lots of people have problems with the X1950XT in various situations.

Today, though, I'm going to remove the Audigy card, and that's the last card I have, other than the video card.

FWIW, I do get weird messages in Event Viewer for ATI, and I have googled for them, but haven't found anything consistent.

Under ACEEventLog

0000000001: 2007-09-23 11:05:58:828 Exception <atixcode.dll>: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {981145A7-E08E-48F3-A1C4-52C28BCAAAF9} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared.TC_Component::CheckTrancodeComObject processID:02792 threadID:(CCCThreadNew:Wizard) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Aspect.TransCode.Graphics.Shared, Version=2.0.2756.30593, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

and

0000000001: 2007-09-20 23:03:20:171 Failed to merge manifest file: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml with exception: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\skins\ccc-skins.xml'.

Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.MergeManifest::ReadManifest processID:01804 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Foundation.XManifest, Version=2.0.2756.30635, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)

3. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I posted details in the Radeon drivers and Motherboard forums, but basically Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum locks up my computer completely, so I'm wondering if anyone here has specs similar to mine but runs it successfully. I've tried several things to fix this, to no avail.

I can sometimes run it for an hour or so, but it eventually locks up on me, and sometimes in the weirdest way. Last night, for example, I had Vegas up, then clicked on the Windows Start button to start DVD Architect, and my computer locked on me (immediately, when I clicked on Start).

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Greetings and welcome to DriverHeaven!

First, as a new member, it's important to know that it's not necessary to post the same problem in several different threads. It actually makes it harder to keep track of replies and help.

Since I don't have the program you're having trouble with, I can't really offer a whole lot of assistance at the moment. Mostly, I can keep the help in one place.

Good luck!

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hi there!

Just to make sure is your Vegas updated to newest version? And what you are doing when it hangs?

6. Dyre Straits

All previous posts have been merged. Since this is a video editing issue, continue all discussion/replies here.

Thanks!

7. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Thanks for merging them, it'll help me, too. I brain-farted, didn't think about having to track so many threads! Oh, and yeah, I applied the latest Vegas patch, but now I may need to reinstall, since I just removed the Audigy sound card. Now when I start Vegas, I get a warning "CTASIO Warning"

And thanks for all the quick responses!

As for what I do when it freezes, unfortunately, I have no option but to power the machine off, which I hate doing.

However, I do have an update. I don't know for sure that the problem is fixed, but I know it hasn't locked so far. What I did was remove the Creative Audigy card, and am now using onboard audio. I had done that before, but had obviously done it wrong.

While I don't like this option long term (for one thing, I now have no mic, since I chose to use the jacks for 5.1 speakers; and for another thing, I want to relieve my cpu), if this truly does fix my problem, then heck, I'm thrilled.

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

The ASIO problem is because in the audio settings there might be some references to creatives ASIO driver. But the freezing ocours when you are capturing video from Hi-8 Tape?

9. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

No, I'm sorry, I think I typed my original post too quickly (PIMF). I imported my videos using WinDV (I might import in VMS sometime). Everything was fine, but when running vegas, my machine would become unstable.

I couldn't see how a sound card could cause my app to crash when I wasn't playing sound. For example, one stress test I found by mistake (from my son) was simply scrolling left and right in the track viewer. This was guaranteed to lock VMS up within 20 seconds. How can a sound card cause that? It's not playing video or audio, just scrolling quickly left/right.

I thought I had uninstalled the Audigy drivers, because I went to "Add/Remove" and removed the only Creative entry there. However, when I restarted, sound still came from the Audigy (this was just a test), so I guess some drivers are still in the system. I'll try to find them.

Afterwards, I went ahead and removed the Audigy, and did the stress test with no lock up. I'm VERY hesitant to hope that the problem's actually fixed, though, but I'm certainly hopeful.

When I removed the Audigy, I also noticed that the motherboard connections to the front audio jacks were loose. I don't know if they were always loose, or if I had pulled them a little when removing the Audigy. Either way, the front mic jack doesn't work, although the speaker jack does.

So now I'm wondering...
    (a) was it the Audigy card, or
    (b) was it fact that the front connections (they're a bundle) were very loose, shorting somehow? or
    (c) there's something wrong with the front jacks, and connecting them at ALL causes the error

I'll be testing these, leaving the audigy for last. If I still work fine with the front jacks connected (or not), ok.

So, if it is the Audigy, I'll need to get some other firewire connections, and possibly a sound card to relieve any load on the CPU when playing games.

But first things first!

(and the first thing is to try to remove whatever's causing the CTASIO warning)

As I said, I don't see how the Audigy could be the culprit, but I guess there are drivers loaded into memory and what-not, and ... I don't know. I just hope it's fixed. :)

10. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Ok, searched within VMS, and ASIO is a setting you can select in Advanced, but only when an ASIO card is in use. Now I can't go into "advanced" to turn it off. So ... I'm going to reinstall the Audigy and see if I can turn ASIO off then. Fun stuff, huh?

I got the ASIO turned off by following advice from this site (crossing fingers I didn't break something else): How To Fully Uninstall Creative Vista Drivers & Solve Install Problems from nomoregoatsoup

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  11. Dyre Straits

Will be watching for an update and hoping for success.

12. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Well, so far no lockups at all! Removing all those drivers stopped the ASIO warnings. I'm still hesitant to get my hopes completely up, just because I've had so many false starts and then lockups. But it's looking really good.

Don't know why the sound card would case system hangs, but maybe it's an irq thing. I've left a note with ECS support asking if it matters which slot I put sound cards and firewire cards in. Either way, I'm going to just replace the Audigy. I'm looking at AuzenTech and M-Audio, maybe Turtle Beach.

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Is it possible that having the card there impedes the air cooling/flow, increases the heat and causes the problem? the.

14. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

BlueMak, great sig!

Now that I've thought about it, I wonder if it's just the drivers. When I removed the Audigy, Vegas complained about ASIO, and now I read that Creative's ASIO is very poor. When I installed the Audigy, I didn't use the CD but rather, went to creative and downloaded what was supposed to be drivers only, but wow, it dumped stuff all over my windows and system32 folders, and didn't remove them when I uninstalled the card. I had to remove that stuff to get the ASIO warning to disappear.

So maybe the Audigy is fine hardware-wise, but weak in drivers in one or two key aspects which are only exhibited in Vegas.

15. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

dang, dang, dang

Sadly, my system just locked up on me. I guess my system is just not going to work for Sony Vegas. I was showing my son a nifty text effect on my computer, and my PC froze/locked up on me. I know Vegas works on dual core systems, what I don't know is whether it works on my particular chipset, my video card, etc.

I guess it wasn't the Audigy after all. And now, I have no cards in my system, and this is a new system. I have to believe there's something unstable about my hardware, and now I am at a complete loss.

After getting my hopes up, this is such a disappointment. Well, I guess I'll just have to give it a break for a while and think about other options. Thanks for offering suggestions, though.

I may try another clean install, and never put the Audigy in (I have uninstalled everything, but there are still Creative files in windows and system32, but I don't know which are safe to remove).

16. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity what is you brand/wattage of power supply?

It also would be nice to find some a program that stresses the sub system just as much.

I've used this one a few times. You can trial it for 30 days.

PassMark BurnInTest download page

17. Dyre Straits

Download and run CCleaner. Run the Cleaner and then the Issues applications. Be sure to select to FIX ALL issues and run it a few times until you get the No Issues Found result. This will take care of orphan keys in the Registry for you.

CCleaner - Home

Good luck!

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah I thought that it wasn't about the creative's card. It just some part of your system that is unstable. Now for you rig you need at least 500W PSU.

19. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I have the stock 450w psu which comes with the Antec Sonata 2 case. I'll try those recommended utilities.

Now, I used to play World of Warcraft a lot, with no problems. Is it possible Vegas is stressing the system more than WoW? I guess it could be using the cpu a lot more heavily.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Video encoding is one of the task that eats CPU power so you might look some better PSU. I've used this Seasonic's PSU for years now and it's rock solid. :)