Sony Vegas Movie Studio locks up: Threads Merged

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by dogwalker, Sep 23, 2007.

1. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I'm at work, but I'll be glad to try another psu. I'm not too confident, though, because of some of the scenarios in which I've locked up. For example, last night, I had events on three tracks:
    (1) text
    (2) some texture (for the text)
    (3) a video

I was in the Pan and Zoom of the text, zooming in (pulling the text larger and out of the screen), when bam, I locked. That doesn't sound intense, but who knows.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

that sounds like some memory issue...
    more likely that the softwares buffer overflow ...

3. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

temeteus, is there a way to test that; more importantly, is there a solution?

I ran Prime95 for about an hour, haven't tried memtest or any other ram test yet. I have OCZ Platinum something (I'd have to look, sorry).

Oh, before reinstalling, one time my machine locked up when I simply ALT-Tabbed back to VMS. After reinstalling, I was in VMS, and wanted to launch the DVD Architect program. When I clicked on the windows Start button, my machine locked.

I now realize I have a lesser motherboard (an ECS PT890T-A), it was a Fry's combo, but before I run off changing power supply, motherboard, video card, I'd like to have some idea what the problem is, and that's extremely difficult with hardware, drivers, etc (at least, it sure is for me).

I *really* appreciate all the suggestions. What do you guys think of trying SpeedFan to check the cpu temperatures? The mobo has no utility supporting this.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

what is VMS?

Google gave me few ideas but I think you aren't running any Virtualization software?

5. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Oh, sorry - Vegas Movie Studio. Sorry about that.

VMS: Vegas Movie Studio
    DVDA: DVD Architect

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

ok, I recommend that you don't run Vegas and DVD Architect at the same time, since Vegas usually east a lot of memory, all when rendering. I usually do the effects and stuff and then render the movie to DV avi and after the render is done I just close Vegas and create the DVD stuff. And I haven't had any issues and I've been using Vista for some time now. I think you should rum memtest86 about 10 times to make sure that your RAM is ok. And make sure that all power cables are in place on your mobo and capacitors are ok.

7. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Yeah, I generally have just Vegas running, and that's where my lockups occur.

I suspect ram, but would wonder why I've never exhibited any problems, even in the (far too many months of) playing World of Warcraft and other games.

If not ram, I'm down to motherboard, power supply, or video card. I don't know how to check the capacitors. I can google that, but if you have any tips, I'd appreciate that.

thanks again

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I'm 100% sure that it isn't video card issue, or are you seeing corruption in the screen all the time?? Capacitors are easy to check just look them and if there is leaks it looks like this :

[​IMG]

9. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Good point, you're right. I have zero problems in anything else. Granted, I haven't done much else, other than play Ghost Recon and World of Warcraft. I did do some slideshow work, but that was several months ago. I use a different package for that, and I can try that.

I'd have to think this is a Vegas issue, except for the fact that it's frequently touted as the most stable video editing package for PCs. I sure don't this issue widespread on the Internet.

Thanks for the capacitor tip! That'll be easy to check when I get home.

Oh, I doubt this matters, but another difference is that this problem computer has USB mouse and keyboard, while the other PC has PS/2 of both.

Also, I work at 1920x1200 on mine, while the other PC works at 1024x768.

10. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I'm consolidating all these comments into some notes to try when I get home.

Just curious if any of you have dual core intel systems and run Sony Vegas 8? And if so, what video card...

BTW, what do you think about the motherboard I have - the ECS PT890T-A? It's been fine, far as I can tell, but now I'm starting to see its shortcomings in BIOS and lack of Windows utilities (nothing to monitor temperatures or voltages).

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Since you asked. ;) I will never again purchase a motherboard based on a VIA chipset. I've had way too many issues with the ones I've owned previously. I spent way too much time troubleshooting issues than actually enjoying the use of the PC.

So, if you can swing it, there are some really nice mobos for a little more money and a lot less headaches. Intel-based chipsets, and Nvidia-based chipsets are highly recommended. I'm using an ASUS P5N-E Sli presently with my ATI X1950 Pro. I've only recently had the use of Nvidia based mobos, and they have both performed well.

12. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I agree, Dyre, the more I've read, and I'll say I'm really frustrated with ECS support, as well as the fact that the mobo doesn't support good investigation (i.e. can't get voltages and temps within Windows; I've even asked ECS, and they confirm this). I doubt I'll ever buy ECS or VIA again.

Last night, I didn't get to do much, but I did check the capacitors, and they're ok. I think my PSU specs are good, but I'm going to try another one, in case there's something flaky on the rails.

I ran CCleaner, and was really surprised to find lots of orphaned or missing dlls. I have to admit, I was hesitant to "fix" those without first looking some of them up.

I've run prime95, but haven't tried that passmark tool yet. I'll try that as well.

I just saw on the sony forums where another fellow is getting lockups in Vegas Movie Studio 8, but he didn't get them in any earlier versions. He has a core 2 duo chip (E4300), but differs from my setup in all other ways (he has an Intel chipset, nvidia video card, better psu). Maybe it's just something with VMS 8 and dual core, although you'd sure think more people would be having problems.

13. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Hey, one thing I've never done is install drivers for my monitor (Dell 2407WFP). I mention this because I noticed Windows Update listed them as optional. Does that matter at all?

14. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Nope.

15. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I downloaded and tried SpeedFan. Looks like a nice tool. Shows my temps as ok. The cpus are both 50C and the hard drives are 40 and 44. Are those ok, or are the hard drives too hot?

Here are the voltages. It shows only one +12v rail, although I supposedly have two.

Vcore1: 1.30v
    Vcore2: 1.81v
    +3.3v: 3.23v
    +5v: 5.00v
    +12v: 12.03v

Well, I'm heading camping this weekend. I guess I'll mess with this Sunday or next week, although I'm about ready to try Premiere Elements and knock on wood.

16. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm kind of partial to PC Wizard 2007.

PC Wizard

Using its Temp module, the hottest of my four HDDs is 38C. They are all in the front lower part of the PC case with a 120 MM Fan right in front of them blowing air onto them. Are yours being air-cooled in any way?

17. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Wow man those are bit high if you ask me.

18. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

What's high, the hard drive temps and/or the cpu? I looked, and I can mount a 120 mm fan just inside the cage where they're mounted.

They're mounted at the bottom, with the backs facing out. I'm going to buy the 120mm fan (Antec TriCool) Sunday and see if it cools them.

The case does have a TriCool in the back, which I was running on its lowest setting. I've turned it up to its max and now the temps are:
    cpus: 50 and 50
    hd0: 29
    hd1: 38

I'm suspicious that they'd drop that much, so I'm going to try the PcWizard Dyre recommended.

[edit]
    rebooted, just curious, and now they're
    cpus: 50 and 50
    hd0: 40
    hd1: 42

How about the voltages? They look fine to me, although I wish I could see the second 12v rail (I imagine I can't, because it's attached to the video card?)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  19. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

memtest86+ since it has pre-built iso images :)