Sony Vegas Movie Studio locks up: Threads Merged

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by dogwalker, Sep 23, 2007.

1. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I'm at work, was talking to a fellow, and another difference occurred to us. I connect to my Dell 24" monitor through DVI, while my other computer (the one which works) connects through VGA. Is there any chance this could be an issue? I forgot to try turning down video acceleration, so I plan to do that tonight.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I think it has nothing to do with your issues. Since it's just different method to transfer the signal to display. And I also think that Video Acceleration wont solve this issue.

3. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I thought I'd give you an update. First of all, thanks for all the suggestions here. I learned a lot, including how to run memtest (I wound up putting it on a floppy and letting the tests run twice, with no errors).

I bought a new power supply (an Antec NeoHE 550w), and ran my computer all weekend, running Sony Vegas for many hours, and never locked up once. It's hard for me to understand how this can be (and I'm still nervous that it's a fluke), but I suppose there may have been just enough instability in power that somehow was exhibited only in video editing, even though games ran fine.

So, I'm skeptical, but so far, indications are that I'm good to go! If so, I've learned something valuable - namely, that the power supply cannot be overlooked as a source of strange, erratic problems. I'd always thought lockups were temperature, then ram, then drivers.

I also found what I imagine my next motherboard will be, when I upgrade in a few months - an Asus P35 board with onboard eSata and firewire.

Thanks so much for all your time and suggestions!

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Yeah since the encoding takes all the power that CPU got it means that it will need good and steady PSU to power all. That's why I got this 600W PSU from Seasonic. It was the only one that managed to finnish Tom's Hardwares steer test in 2004 and it's still running stable. :)

5. dogwalker

dogwalker New Member

Ah, thanks for explaining that, and that makes good sense. I imagine these apps do push the cpu much different than any other apps I've used. This was a tough experience of trial and error, but now I have another arrow in my quiver of known solutions. And you can be darned sure I'll get good power supplies for any other upgrades I do!