Sony's Universial Media Disc facing last rites

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by niceguyrichy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Exactly a year after it was launched in the United States, the Sony PlayStation Portable's days as a hand-held movie-viewing device might be numbered.

Disappointing sales have slowed the flow of movies on the proprietary Universal Media Disc to a mere trickle. At least two major studios have completely stopped releasing movies on UMD, while others are either toying with the idea or drastically cutting back.

And retailers also are cutting the amount of shelf space they've been devoting to UMD movies, amid talk that Wal-Mart is about to dump the category entirely.

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

With large memory cards, you don't need UMDs ever... Well for movies :p Games yes! :D

3. calidan

calidan Frozen in Carbonite

It's stupid to buy a movie twice. Why buy it for the PSP when I can watch it on my big screen.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

that's waht you get when you stick with a proprietory format… and try to call it universal

5. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

I wonder if this affects the adult UMDs

I beleive they called it Universal because anyone could make a UMD without cost, except the equipment to make it, and Sony didn't control who would make them or what they would be of. Although Sony was the only company I know that had a Device to play them.

The movies on the PSP off the memory card arent at full resolution they have those locked for just the UMDs, atleast last I herd

6. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

if they designed it with mini-dvds (which they're ALREADY USING in their camcorders) you'd have a greater support base.

but you'd also have more chances for people to pirate them. so its a two-way street.

7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

DVD price......1/5 DVD resolution......1/10 the average TV size.......yea.......

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the whole issue with UMD movies is their cost. They cost too damn much. They are almost the same price, or more than a regular DVD. If you want to sell UMD movies cut the cost of them in half. I would more than gladly pay $10 for a UMD movie, but I won't buy a UMD movie for $20+ when I can get a regular DVD for the same money, and spend 30 minutes compressing it onto a memory stick in a picture quality I can live with.