SOTW Discussion

Discussion in 'Heavenly Visions & Echoes' started by Sandok, Mar 13, 2006.

1. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Yes, those would be the only legal ways of doing it ;) I was just curious if anyone actually did that.
    and that's pretty much what everyone's doing, especially with the latest anime theme. :p
    Thanks Jeff! I was trying to be a little original like you, but I honestly think it could look much better but I haven't bothered to put more work into it. Which gold buddy were you refering to? I can easily draw my own stuff, but I don't have a scanner and can't draw with a mouse... I'll be getting a tablet sooner or later!

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

It looks damn good, the chap I was referring to used to be called Disastropy, now he is Gutterpunk, he works for walmart in the IT department, he is very very creative and a damn good guitar player.

3. Gazz79

Gazz79 New Member

They ussualy cut the renders out of wallpapers that have been released by gamedevelopers or animedevelopers.

I sometimes user ingameaction images for my sigs but they are usssualy low quality. (this silent hill sig worked out pretty good tough)

4. LuCifer

LuCifer DH sig maker!

Deadel has a point, I usually grab random stuff from where ever and then either crop what I want or modify it. I'll claim Sig or whatever to be my own work of art.. but not my actual character or whatever I rendered and even then Its not like im selling the stuff or making profit you know its just to sharpen skills in PS and things of that nature.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I just think relying on copyrighted or free stuff is like a sort of cop out, unless of course people do more than a few colour changes, it is the design that sells it to me, or the composition really. If I could get the animated stuff down below the size limit I would sure use that...(heavy sigh)
    I just like originality..

6. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

I don't like it when someone takes an image and just resizes it sticks there name on it and claims that as there work. I admit lots of the images used in my signatures are not of my own making. However sometimes thats the whole point, take my current sig for example. Its from the game 'Final Fantasy VII' the signature has been designed, constructed and edited by me but it is not of my property. Although i wanted to show i like the FF series, so using images the only way to do that was to 'take' images from the creators.

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I particulerly like the animated sigs, even though they can be rather large as gifs, I like the flash stuff, now that really drills in the talent of the person making it, or even the theme as well, although I have to admit that Photoshop merely allows someone to take what they have already created or captured and manipulate it for an effect, I think a sig should be totally unique to the person making or using it, like a seal pressed into wax, as unique as a snow flake....

Or maybe I am just an old fart...:w00t:

8. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

No i agree with you if you take it as simplistic and pure as you can, when you think of a written signature it is something that should be difficult to copy and specific to you - i.e. Unique to the owner of it.

Though this poses a problem in the theme of it as i was trying to state in my previous post. I wanted my theme to be Final Fantasy because that is what i like and the only way to do that is use other material and manipulate it to my style and taste. I guess you could say that i could draw the character i wanted to use myself so it is my work, but there would still be copyright issues with that so to use a theme that a mass magority would know you have to use something commercial like your Stew from Family Guy in your Avatar - people relate to it and enjoy your av because of the character they know, where as if it was a self drawn babey they will pay it little attention.

I understand i am contradicting myself - i think they should be unique and an image from the user alone, but to use a theme or for people to relate to it, thats impossible

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Yeah I am confronted with the same issue myself, I believe in purity, quite a few years ago I ran into alot of flack from fellow artists at the one and only show I ever did, I caught hell from them because they said I was too contrived and cliche, that I used common themes and even accused me of stealing material as well, and I was just sketching, painting and carving. I was so pissed, as I was just getting over surgery on my right hand for nerve damage, but what drove it home was that my work was so common and wasnt unique enough for my fellow artists to appreciate...
    ironically, my customers enjoyed it..LOL
    and they bought two of my sketches..
    and I got to more work than I can handle..
    so whadday know..
    a strange irony isnt it..LOL

10. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Anyways, to change the subject I just wanted to say: Congrats to the winners! Those are some great sigs!

11. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

Yup, congrats, although i must also say i was dissapointed in the very very few people that voted. I thought you'd all want a say in the winner..

12. Sandok

Sandok New Member

The problem is PMs are a very dunno... Not simple and esthetic manner... What we really need is a poll per week on the results and we vote! Everyone can vote just once anways so we all vote on what we think is the best! I think it's much prefer but complicated since you ain't a mod jufo....

Have you asked? :D

13. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

you mean make a thread and put in every entry and let people vote, that'll take a long time to create each week! and if you mean just make a thread and people just say the name - it wont work, people will talk (as they are suppose to in a forum) so it will be mixed up and complicated to follow.

I think the PM is the quickest and simplist way, its just making people go to a tiny bit more work to vote..

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I didint know you could vote..
    or do you have to on the "A" list...

15. BoroVC

BoroVC Active Member

I think the PM vote thing could be too easy for tactical voting.

16. danjufo

danjufo DH.Sig.Maker

I dont see how PMs would be easier to do tacticaly than clicking who you vote for on a poll. I have to open each pm so i know who each person is voting for rather than just looking at the figures so i would notice patterns earlier than on a poll (imo)

To vote you wait till the end of the sotw (Sundays) and then you have Monday - Wednesday to PM me your vote

17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

nah, just PM danjufo who you think has submitted the best sig by the end of the week :)

18. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Exactly! Someone spent alot of time and effort creating beautiful artwork, all you did was steal it, crop it and photochop it, how does that make it your work? The original artist would sure disagree! I find it amusing that some people are actually worried that someone will steal the images that they originally stole themselves. :lol:
    On the other hand I agree that it shouldn't be a problem when it's obviously not your work, like using screenshots from games, tv or movies.

19. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Yeah..
    My stuff might look like crap...but its mine......(warm feeling)

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Dunno my current sig is 100% made from scratch but sometimes, (like this anime one) I didn't do much to it... Thus it sucks :p