SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with THX certification

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 23, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

VR-Zone has done up a report on the new Creative SB Audigy 2 launch at Creative's HQ at Singapore today. Audigy 2 delivers 106dB SNR with THX® certification, 6.1 surround sound for movies and gaming, 24-bit/96kHz recording, and also provides digital music enthusiasts with the next generation Creative MediaSource™ player. Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 Platinum are both slated for worldwide shipment in October and has an estimated street price of US$129.99 and US$199.99 respectively.
    http://www.vr-zone.com/#2669

There are also product shots and specifications on warp2search
    http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=7174

2. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

There's only one company who makes the better sound card

thats Creative....no compeition!

Long live Audigy!

3. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

Creative = garbage

They couldn't make a sound card if they tried:

1) Bloated software
    2) High CPU utilization
    3) Original Live issues..no bus mastering
    4) Asking people to pay for drivers (original live)
    5) Poor Tech support

Here is a real sound card:

Good drivers, inexpensive, great sound and best of all <1% Cpu utilization

http://us.hercules.com/products/product.php3?id=39

[​IMG]

4. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Doom must own some 'other brand' sound card.:sigh:

10 bucks says he's an AMD user too!

AMD users are always causing a fuss. :eek:

5. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

The crappiness of Creative's drivers has turned me away, as well. I don't think I'll ever buy a Creative product again.

6. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

You don't have to be an AMD user to know how crappy Creative is.

7. Frodo301

Frodo301 Outraged

Re:

And this is coming from someone with a nick of a Nvidia Amd chipset? :rolleyes:

8. mr  pinky

mr pinky New Member

drm embedded?

9. tenndevil

tenndevil Banned

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/27232.html

"To protect against unauthorised duplication, Sound Blaster Audigy [or Sound Blaster Live!, in the other readme] shuts down its digital output when encrypted files are played back through a Microsoft DRM supported audio player (for example, Creative PlayCenter)."

Creative will of course by no means be the only company whose products do this, and we wouldn't be at all surprised if many of them didn't feel the need to inform you of the feature on the packaging, in the manual, in the licensing agreement or even in a readme several folders deep in the software. But one can pick up the odd clue. Here, for example, is one of Microsoft's lists of audio chip manufacturers supporting WMA format. Note the reference to Corona (WMP 9) and, way down at the bottom: "Windows Media offers the industry's only integrated digital rights management solution."

lovely between creative and microsoft you won't be able to listen to a damn thing, the above article should make the hercules sell....

10. Desert_Siege

Desert_Siege Professional Slacker

I have an Audigy now and can GUARANTEE I will never buy another one

The only Creative product I have bought in the last three years that was worth a crap was a modem, and that was probably because they didn't make the chip. Between the CRAP drivers, even poorer support and the very high price in relation to competing cards, they will NEVER get any of my money for sound cards again. This 'Fraudigy' Gamer has caused more problems in more games and apps than any other product I have owned. They screwed me once and that was on me, but it won't happen twice, that I can guarantee. If companies prospered by the quality of their products and service, Creative would have been bankrupt long ago. Just my $0.02 :bleh:

11. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

I'm not going to step on anyone's toes here, but come on...
    Creative may not be the best, but they are still damn good - and who's to say the 2nd Generation Audigy is going to suck? You're not even giving it a chance and its hardly been released!

Sounds to me like alot of people out there don't know how to manipulate their hardware.
    Anyone can buy and install an expansion card. Getting it to work just the way you like it takes a pro. Bitching and complaining only show signs of someone who's given up because it wasn't 'fast and easy'.

Ok, now you can start flaming...but make sure you're not insulting yourself by doing so.

12. Shaith

Shaith New Member

The only thing you can say good about Creative is...

uhm...er...I forgot.

Must have been all the absolutely crappy drivers and products they've produced.

Hercules might be the brand name, but Guillemot is the producer behind that card, btw - the same folks who produced the Home Studio Pro 64, which was THE musician's choice for sound cards for quite a while. They've since produced a few here and there, but their coup at the palace was the acquisition of then-defunct Hercules.

With respect to the Audigy 2: Don't have to give it a second chance. Why should I? The Live was mediocre. The Audigy conflicted with hardware and was a consistent BSOD machine.

If I was trying to shoot an apple out of your mouth and shot you in the shoulder instead, would you give me a second chance? Hell no, you'd have learned your lesson after the first shot. Run before you lose something vital.

Well, the same applies to Audigy2: Run before you lose something vital. Data. Work. Sanity. Time.

I'll go with crappy onboard AC97 sound before I use another Creative product.

13. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

Soundblaster RULES!!!

14. bb_forrest

bb_forrest New Member

Not that I usually get involved in these things but.....

"Sounds to me like alot of people out there don't know how to manipulate their hardware.
    Anyone can buy and install an expansion card. Getting it to work just the way you like it takes a pro" - nForcer

Who the f&^k do you think you are?

Without ever meeting you I would put my IT knowledge up against yours (and take care here kid, I've been doing this stuff for over 20 years and know a lot of stuff you don't. If you want to list your qualifications up against me great (but be warned that it had better be more than 5 years with a PC and a degree).

I have an Audigy, 3 of my friends have as well. Mine works ok, one of them works great, the other 2 have problems.

We are all techie's and have been playing games and building PC's since before Doom (my first experience of a PC was with Dos 3.2)

If we can't sort it out then I don't know what chance non-"Pro"'s have.

Come back when you have something helpful to say and not just get high and mighty on people.

For the record, I won't buy another Creative product as their European Driver support sucks ass.

Compaq seem to release drivers before Creative.

They want you to buy the software that comes with the card.

I believe Philips have a new card coming out (and if it's anything like their TV that I have just bought I'm getting 1).

15. Louie6666

Louie6666 Just One Sick-Lizard

rules ....lol

AWE32 & 64's were good SB128 was excellent, anything after that and stopped looking at them..Too many problem stories from people that weren't pro's & couldn't get them working properly
    ("Sounds to me like alot of people out there don't know how to manipulate their hardware.
    Anyone can buy and install an expansion card. Getting it to work just the way you like it takes a pro" - nForcer)
    ....you arse, you shouldn't have to be a pro to get your soundcard sorted...I think I'll stick with my £30 Au10 with A3d, EAX & AC3...If i was going to upgrade which I do not feel need to it would be the phillips accoustic edge(nice price & performance)....Hey I'd even take the new creative if someone else was paying for it :)

16. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Re:

Sounds like Creative's Company Slogan.

17. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

It also sounds like we have a considerable amount of users who either have a low self esteem, or they want to look big by making up lies, or posting info from other websites. What really makes me laugh is the people who get offended and make a 2 page post and no one wants to read it. Take it easy guys, its not like we are going to announce your superiority (or lack thereof) to your friends - its just a damn fourm!

bb_forest, you didn't make a post before mine so I'm not pointing this to you. I have a higher respect for those in the IT field, as for those who aren't (and who think they are), grow up! And some of the complaints I'm seeing are rather simple ones to solve, which baffles me as to why these guys haven't gotten then figured out understanding that they atleast know what the problem is rather than just bitching.

Creative has made some damn fine products. The only complaint I have about Creative is thier prices, and bloated software packages. Drivers only please!

18. Happynic1

Happynic1 New Member

erhh,, aren't you one of them too, nforcer?

I have seen many that couldn't or is too afraid to even open up their system to do any upgrade at all, they are not dumb or nothing, they just aren't good with computers stuff. This is like the old You CAN, but you COULD NOT.

Oh I'm sure getting it to work just the way you like it DOES take a pro, I know I can't get my sound card to make coffee or tea for me, but HOW about getting it to work like it's suppose to. Did you not know about the conflict/problem with the NEW SB live 5.1 and those Via chippet set motherboards about 1.5 years ago? It was a huge problem. And guess what Creative did or try to fix the problem, They did shit. It was Via and some nice programmers that make a patch to fix or help out a bit of that problem. Most move to other sundcards because of that.

As for Driver releases, creative nearly never releases useful update drivers. And none of them really improve the proformance they mainly just fix alittle bit of problems which they mess up in the previous driver.

Back in the days of Sound blaster 16 and 3 x cd-roms, Creative truly RULEZ, but not anymore.

19. RadeonMAXX

RadeonMAXX Made Man

So when does this bad bay come out? I'm ready to order.

20. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

I want one, me too, me too, me too...