Soundfont release transients missing

Discussion in 'SoundFonts and MIDI' started by Michael Berg, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Hi. This is not related to KX but soundfonts in general. I'm posting here because I can find very little support for soundfonts. My problem is this; I have tried to make soundfonts from wave files of organ pipes using Vienna. If I loop the sample, the release sound of the pipe (ie the last part of the sample after the loop end point) is not played. It will play if I play the soundfont without looping. Can anyone help me out with this problem?
    Thanks,

Mick Berg.

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Sounds like your the release is set too short.

1) Make sure the INSTRUMENT release is set correctly
    2) set the MELODY PATCH to 1.00 (itsa a multiplier of the INSTRUMENTS setting by default IIRC)

3. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Thanks for that advice. I'll try it soon. But where do I find "Melody Patch"??
    Mick Berg.

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Maybe I got the name wrong..

A 'PATCH' is made up of 1 or more 'INTRUMENTS'

You will see the DRUM stuff - in the PATCH area - as DRUM kits are also made up of INTRUMENTS.
    It also where the BANK and PATCH numbers are assigned.

Ok - it seems it has changed (assuming your using Vienna..

The PATCH / INSTRUMENT - is at different 'levels' in the 'tree'

1st - what are you using to edit a SF2 file and version.

5. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

I am using Vienna 2.3. I just installed 2.4, but it doesn't seem to have anything new that affects my problem. I don't see why it should matter what the patch number of the soundfont is. In my application I'm not bothered about banks and patch numbers.
    The setting of loop points and volume envelopes is done at instrument level. I suspect that the soundfont system is simply not capable of doing what I want. The samples are very long - up to ten seconds. I have my MIDI system (Building Blocks) set to treat a note-off as a Note-on with 0 velocity.
    I have KX driver on one computer and Audigy drivers on the other - I will check out the problem on the Audigy computer and see if anything is different there.
    Mick.

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I mentioned banks/patch to indicate there were 2 places that the RELEASE can be changed.
    1) Instrument level - absolute numbers
    2) Patch level - 'Adjustors' depending on version of SF compatibility - is either 'add' or 'multiply' to Instrument level levels

So if the Instrument release is set to 5 seconds - and the patch is set to ADD (new for vienna 2.4 I beleive) and its set to 5 seconds also - IIRC it will be a 10 second release - BUT ALWAYS decreasing in volume over that thime. BUT if set to 'default' (un-CHECK - 'ADD to original generator value' )- which AFAIK is a 'multiply' factor - *should* set a 25 seconf release.

The SF system - while capable of 'release triggered' samples is possible - it WONT play the release at full volume unless the release is SOO SLOW that the sample finishes BEFORE the release level falls below an audible level.

So depending on your concept of 'working' (considering the above statement) - the answer is YES and NO.

Keep in mind also - that the release *could* be the first part disreguarded ('stolen' for 'polyphony management') - thus this could also cause the problem as well.