SP2 RTM ON Betaplace

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Louie6666, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Louie6666

Louie6666 Just One Sick-Lizard

For those of you that have been testing SP2 The final build is now availble at https://windowsbeta.microsoft.com downloading at pretty good speed as we speak :)

Not even sure what the final build number is yet will post back in about 25 mins :)

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

3. Louie6666

Yep its 2180

just need the patched uxtheme now :)

4. kohkohnut

kohkohnut New Member

Sorri but wats RTM?

Are those links dat u pple posted above the final SP2s? :confused:

5. REGENERAT1ON

REGENERAT1ON NGO Crew

yep.. this rtm (release to manufacturers) suppose to be the final.

real info about the file:
    MD5:59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7
    Original filename:WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
    Size:266mb

Whats new?

Windows Installer 3.0,
    Windows Media Player 9
    DirectX 9.0c
    better HTTP SSL handling
    Improved Windows driver detection
    updates for almost all windows components (against unknown bugs)
    and few useless minor updates
    improved COM+ processing
    updates & added:Outlook Express,Messenger,Group policy,Alerter,Bluetooth,Client Administrative Tools
    Security Center panel

Improved Security:
    *Added Popup blocker to IE
    *Minor security updates to IE
    *Improved Windows Firewall (controlling Applications internet access,now Firewall is based on one service.. less ram usage and more advanced configurations. now Windows firewall act like Professional firewall software)
    *Data Execution Protection (DEP) helps protect against damage fom viruses and other Security Threats

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  6. kohkohnut

kohkohnut New Member

huh?but i tot SP2 was delayed again? :confused:

7. REGENERAT1ON

REGENERAT1ON NGO Crew

"As Stated In Official MS Beta Newsgroups:

Final testing is complete and at 10:08am this morning we signed off on build 2180 as Windows XP Service Pack 2, releasing it to manufacturing. The final build will be available to beta sites immediately at http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/download/dl3.asp. You will find both English and German versions there, Japanese will follow early next week.

Next week the service pack will be available on the Microsoft Download Center for general download. In the interim we're making the update available to you via the beta web site.

If you are running RC2, or any other build released to beta sites, we invite you to turn on Automatic Updates, and starting on August 10th your system will automatically download the express version of Windows XP SP2. For typical home users this is about a 75 MB download; for those on RC2 it should be less than 30 MB. As soon as the background download is complete, you will be prompted to install SP2 and to accept the EULA (SP2 does not install automatically even if Automatic Updates is set to automatically install security updates). If you have a modem connection, don't "Cancel" the update once it's in progress; just disconnect and when you reconnect later, it will automatcially pick up where it left off until it completes.

Q: What's next?

A: For the next 2 weeks the beta newsgroups will still be available to you. We'll be in the newsgroups and hope you'll discuss your experience with early SP2 deployments there. On August 18th the newsgroups will close and we'll move on to finding and fixing the bugs in Windows 2003 Server SP1.

Thanks for all your time and effort in driving the quality high in SP2 and finding those tricky issue that only seem to occur in the wild and never under laboratory conditions. Be sure to verify and update your contact information at http://beta.microsoft.com so we can get in touch with you in the future.

I hope your experience testing SP2 was a good one. We've saved the chat logs and when we build the next beta program I'll see what we can do to implement some of your suggestions."

8. kohkohnut

kohkohnut New Member

Thanx for the explanation :D

Sorri another dumb qn here,on a freshly installed WinXP,do i have to install SP1 before installing SP2?Does SP2 include the patches in SP1?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

That's not a dumb question. :)

If you start the installation for SP2 and it says you need SP1 first, then you'll know for sure. I don't have the immediate answer as to whether it's needed or not. Possibly, it is.

10. Dyre Straits

11. Killer_uk

Killer_uk Active Member

12. kohkohnut

kohkohnut New Member

13. Dyre Straits

Must be a LOT of people getting it. All the links are really slow. Guess I'll have to trust the DSL to stay connected during the next 4 hours. :(

14. REGENERAT1ON

REGENERAT1ON NGO Crew

lol neowin removed all links.. what a losers :p

15. dlmoye

dlmoye New Member

The link for www.tcmagazine.net is the best link that I have found. Took about 30 minutes to download SP2 RTM at avg speed of 150kbs. The rest of the links that I have found are very, very, slow.

16. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Thank you

I'm so glad DH has some mirrors, like Regeneration said, NeoWin removed their links :lol: :D Thanks folks!

Gonna download, install and slipstream all before the night is done (Hopefully) :)

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

use download acellerator add the one then the other as a mirror... downloading it from both sites with 2 connections each I got it at 200-300k but thats just the way i work ;)

but then again I had stated downloading at the time i posted that link.... by now there are more people downloading it

18. Louie6666

Seems nice enough so far...I appear to have lost some cpu speed in certain benchmarks....probably just me...last install was so well tweaked...may take me a while to get it just so!

Did A slipstreamed install, wish they left the old ati drivers out! No crashing solid as a rock even with me running silly overclock on Tbird 1.4ghs@7.5x206fsb

Oh yeah you can slip stream it straight over sp1 copies & the original gold build of xp, have tested both methods....wouldn't install over top...do a clean install...runs cludgy otherwise...

Weird My mouse keeps drifting upwards intermitantly...if anyone elses notices this let me know

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  19. BONEHEAD

BONEHEAD New Member

20. Burt McGirt

Burt McGirt New Member

Will it work from scratch???

:confused: I have yet to see this answered or properly addressed.....will SP2 install on a new install of XP (one that hasn't had a SINGLE update yet i.e. servicepackless)?

and yes, that is a rather stupid-fast link, get'n at 255 KB/sec!