Space debris cleaning missions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bearnard bale, Jun 17, 2021.

1. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Today space debris became rather an important issue to be solved in the space exploration area. That is why a lot of space companies wanna make some ``cleaning`` missions to clean the Earth`s orbit from this space junk. So could you please name some ``cleaning`` missions which are about to be launched in the nearest time?

arb65912 likes this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Lol, I admire your interest in space. :p

arb65912 likes this.
  3. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what these missions are but I like the concept.
    There is definitely a lot of debris there that poses danger .

bearnard bale likes this.
  4. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Yeah, I have already mentioned in another thread on this forum that space debis is dangerous for spacecrafts. So to deal with it we need to make particular ``cleaning`` missions in order to reduce the chance of collision space junk with a spacecraft

5. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

There are 4 ways how we can handle with space junk 1)we can design & program sats such that they switch to a lower orbit when we replace a sat with a new one automatically and burn up in outer atmosphere 2)we can use high power lazer that could burn them up in the orbit. 3) we can send them toward sun where they would burn up. 4)or we can adopt a technique that require less sats. I guess the easiest way to cope with space junk is to make them burn down in the atmosphere. However, it depends on the size of some space debris. It can be so large that it won't just burn down in the atmosphere

6. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

On the website of space flight news 2021 I found another ``cleaning`` space mission which is called ‘The Claw’. So it`s another space debris cleaning mission which is gonna be launched soon

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

ELSA-d spacecraft captures "space debris" in orbit for the first time

[​IMG]

Private orbital debris removal company Astroscale has validated its magnetic capture system that is designed to tackle the problem of space debris. Its End-of-Life Services by Astroscale-demonstration (ELSA-d) servicer satellite managed to capture a simulated piece of space debris in orbit for the first time using the system.

Space debris is a serious and growing problem as popular orbits around the Earth become increasingly cluttered with defunct satellites, boosters, and other flotsam that present the hazard of an increased probability of a bit of debris striking a working spacecraft at hypersonic speeds.

In recent years, there have been a number of proposals put forward to deal with this, including devices installed on satellites to increase atmospheric drag as well as experimental capture devices. In general, the most promising technology has involved end-of-life systems installed in new spacecraft, or spacecraft that can rendezvous with aging satellites still capable of maintaining attitude to deorbit them.

8. clubrope

clubrope Well-Known Member

Maybe he wants to be an Astronaut.

Calliers likes this.