Spdif/ AC3 Passthrough

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patriarch, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Patriarch

Patriarch New Member

Howdy

I have been wondering lately why AC3 passthrough does'nt work on the Sb0102. I used to use the 3537 drivers and at the time i did som fiddleing with FFDshow and managed to get my external AMP to recieve at broken up ac3 soundstream. When i say broken up i mean that only the rear channels were passed through, and the amp did switch to DTS/AC3. This leads me to believe that the 3537 in fact was very close to have passthrough capability. I know CL drivers could indeed accomplish this, but as CL states in the manual, to achieve this speakers must be set to stereo only and digital out. I assume the reason why it does'nt work with KX's otherwise superb drivers is because the FXBUS/SRC modules maps to the wrong hardware address, or could it be the generic spdif outputs on the epilog somehow manipulates the audio stream? I have tried almost all kinds of connections in the DSP and can't get it to work.

I realize that Euguene spends a lot of time on the drivers but would'nt a driver comparison with the original CL rather easily stimulate the creativity? I hope it could. I really love KX but I am a stubborn person and i would love to have AC3 passthrough working. In addition the post about live AC3 encoding was of particular interest to me. But maybe I might be better of getting a Turtle Beach Montego DDL or the HDA Mystique, for that kind of capabillity. The bummer about this would definitely be that I'd lose the mighty flexibility i have with KX.

Regards Anders

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

passthrough does not work on 10k1 boards like yours

3. xzero1

xzero1 New Member

Lose flexiblity, not with 2 cards. Warning on montego from their website: "If the game is not encoded with Dolby Digital or DTS audio, then you will only get 2-channel stereo output from your speakers NOT 5.1 when using the digital output from your sound card. These games will only do surround sound using the analog outs from the sound card."
    Dont know if this applies to the Mystique card.

4. xzero1

xzero1 New Member

Update: I have emailed Turtle Beach and to be fair they have amended information concerning the montego sound card. See the link to their explanation: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5884013.asp.
    Can someome reading this explain why some surround games work only with analog outputs with this card? If so what use is DDL? If I can get surround sound using analog why (with DDL on) won't this pass through the digital output.