Spooky - need help!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by alewisa, Oct 7, 2002.

1. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Ok, for some reason my main AMD machines are dying.

System 1 - Athlon 1gb, ABIT KT7-133 RAID board. Refuses to power on. (comes on for a split second before powering off). If I reset the BIOS, and disconnect and erconnect just about every lead and card, it works. Then, after 20minutes, just dies. Thinking it might have been cooling, I bought a mahoosive heat sink and fan. No joy.

system 2 - Duron 800, Gigabyte board. Same thing. Again, bought a new cooler. I fact, given the silly prices, I bought a Duron 1200 as well. Same thing. Machine dies after 20mins use. It is not temperature (it was running at 43 deg C seconds before). And unless I disconnect and reconnect, it will not power on.

neither machine is overclocked or tweaked... both use 300W PSUs. Both have 256mb PC133 on single stick. The Duron is as bare bones as I can get, with just a video card (GF2-MX), LAN card (Compaq), hd, DVD and floppy.

The Abit has a bit more, Parhelia, LAN, Audigy, DVD, CDRW, 2xHD, LS-120 (and was running on a 250W - upgraded PSU to rule out power)

any ideas?

2. skastel

skastel Massive Happiness

:hmm::confused: Does it simply click off? Will it power on right after it dies?
    hrmmm, this is fishey, I recomend, gutting one of em, and then reassemble it. You might be shorting out a spot on the MB, although it wouldn't make much sense for this to happen the way it is. It also might be power, although 300w is enough, and you did get new ones.
    :confused:Man, this is a dilley of a pickle (simpsons reference for good measure)

3. merry

merry gargouille

Shots in the dark

I use to have similar probs - the machine would shut off on me. However, after more than 20 mins, and not on plain desktop (meaning in games).

It doesn't happen anymore and I suppose it was the heat of summer (the temp readings are 7 °C less average).

I didn't disconnect cards or connectors, though. Sometimes it would start right of the power button. Sometimes I'd have to turn off/on the mains button (the one at the back of the case, right on the PSU, a 300W also) and then the power button on the front. In this case, before acting on the back switch, nothing would work, reset button, power button.

Could be that the PSU is heating too much, either of excessive ambient temp, either of faulty mains voltage. Would be worth a try to check the - ?? - 120 V AC on the mains (assuming a multi-schtecker, or on a mains socket you know is on the same line as the ones you have your comps on).

I take it that both your comps started acting up at the same time, so it could be 'environmental'...

4. acepaint

acepaint New Member

Do you have the power cables tied together to get them out of the way?Some site I was at the tech guy had a very strange problem with the power on a customers computer turned out that they had the power cables tied together to tight.

5. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re:

Yup, as though someone yanked the mains. Does not power on afterwards. Sometimes turning off the PSU power switch and then powering on will restart the Duron, but not the Athlon...

6. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Re: Shots in the dark

Not a factor in England, especially in the North!

Have had that!

Mains is fine. Everything else is running off same strip sets; the monitors for example, do not power down... neither does another PC attached to the same mains socket.

7. merry

merry gargouille

Re: Shots in the dark

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt and no solutions...

Heat can be a factor - you do have heating in the house, you do turn it on, especially when it's cold outside ... right?

I'm trying to pin down a factor that has to be somewhere in the ambient - both your computers used to work, maybe for quite a while, then - simultaneously ? - they crashed.

Remember that I did nothing in similar circumstances (actually I did, but failed), and it went away.

Mains is fine when you measure the voltage... with/without load. Switching PSs allow for large variations of the mains voltage, provided they work fine - maybe monitors' PSs work, comps' not that well.

Anyway, the problem is most likely within the PS or chipset - remember, power button and reset don't work - that's chipset stuff - do they have fans (edit: oh heck, do the chipsets have fans)?

Again, I wish I had a solution besides fantasy...

Good luck!

8. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

are u using XP? also what hard drives are u using? i would also suggest u take it apart and clean and inspect everything and make sure nothing is grounded out thats not suppose to be.

9. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

i had the same problem. the fan in the psu died. disconnecting/reconnecting cables may give the psu enough time to cool down, therefore being able to start. hold your hand behind the psu and see if any air is coming out.

10. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

u may need to take the PSU apart to see if its working cause my fan is very quiet and i can varly feel any ir coming out

11. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

Re:

it should be blowing a significant amount to ensure proper cooling.

heheh, i said blowing...

12. merry

merry gargouille

So alewisa - any developments?

13. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

sert

Every VIA board I've had has had problems almost exactly like that if the leads for the external USB ports are flipped around. Try running your PC with JUST your CPU, Memory, HD, and Vidcard installed and see if you get the same problem.