SSD drive discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

What drive? And to what firmware? Most drives do not erase anything anymore. W/ the exception of the 1.5 Vertex FW which isn't needed if you have 1.4/1.41

isaak likes this.
  2. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I've got Vertex on 1.4. I was just thinking, the next firmware update to come out, but if they don't erase anymore, should be right. Thanks Low :)

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I think 1.5 does indeed erase however it doesn't add anything. It just combines the garbage collect and TRIM in to one firmware but really that isn't needed unless you are dual booting Win 7 and an older OS.

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Hey guys, finally made the jump myself and I have to say its the upgrade of the year for any pc. Really amazing how much difference these little things make.
    I do have a couple of questions if any one can help. With TRIM enabled everything is taken care of, right? Meaning I don't need to run one of those cleaner/wiper apps to maintain the drive?
    Also when time comes to reinstall the OS what would need to be done? Would a format be enough? (full format, not the quick one).
    Thanks much

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

If you want TRIM you will be using Windows 7 and full format isnt an option. Just partition the drive, format and install. (you wouldnt want to full format an SSD anyway)

Before doing this you should update the firmware to the latest version.

Also, best advice is to stick with the Windows 7 in the box SATA/AHCI drivers... they are guaranteed to work with TRIM where as some others are not.

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Thanks bud, much appreciated. The stupid drive I went for (a-data) died on me after only two days of use. Just enough for me to install and activate everything lol.
    Anyways, I returned it for an intel and things are much better now. I took your advice and updated the firmware before installing windows and I did not install the intel drivers. I will be very happy with this one if it lasts as its much faster.
    I also went through and applied the ssd tips at ocz; I hope they maximize its lifespan.
    Thanks

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *

7. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Wow. That is pretty craptastic. SSD's rarely die, especially that early in its life.

And in all seriousness I can't really suggest you do all those tweaks on the SSD forums.

No way will I ever shut off indexing/Search as it is too useful. Ramdisks are an absolute silly idea to use as a pagefile. Take about an oxymoron.

You can turn off Superfetch and defrag on the SSD however Windows 7 won't actually use either of these on the SSD.

All the registry tweaks are completely useless. The only thing I do on new installs now is move the pagefile to a mechanical drive if it is a very small SSD (i.e. 30GB). Otherwise I don't do a thing. O I disable hibernation but that has nothing to do w/ a tweak. I've been doing this since ~2002 as I don't use it.

8. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Yea but I guess if something like an ssd is going to go it will do so in the first few days (I'm hoping anyways). I only blame myself for being cheap lol
    But I did not do all of the tips they mention and windows 7 seemed to have everything enabled even with the ssd (superfetch and auto defrag).
    All I did was checked to see if TRIM was enabled and disabled defrag, superfetch, prefetch, and set the pagefile to a fixed size on the ssd. I do not move the pagefile as its probably one of the things that benefits the most with the ssd.

Edit- I also disable "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" in the ssd properties. I don't think that disabled indexing completely

9. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Superfetch and Defrag are enabled. But they will never be used on the SSD. This is just mis-information going around.

TRIM is always also enabled. Checking to see that is meaningless. It is even on non-TRIM capable drives. It doesn't mean that the OS is capable of telling it the SSD has TRIM or not.

10. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I've noticed that there are a few different OCZ SSDs around the same price bracket, namely: Solid Series, Agility Series, Vertex Series and Vertex Turbo Series.
    Does anyone know of a good site to differentiate between these different OCZ SSD drives, backed up by some reliable performance tests?

11. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Solid Series = no not buy.

Now as for the rest.

Vertex 2 > Vertex LE > Agility 2 > Vertex Turbo > Vertex > Agility > Solid 2

12. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

What's the performance like with Solid 2 series vs the modern Velociraptor hard drives? Can you notice that much of a difference between them?

13. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Depends on your usage. Personally I think there is zero reason to buy a Vraptor now. Either step up to an SSD or buy a WD 2TB Black as it will perform damn near as good.

14. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I think its good with most SSD's now, but just be aware of the possible data loss when you update firmware... as in you may need to reinstall your OS if it's your main drive.

But otherwise my Vertex SSD is great to have and is a noticeable improvement to my system

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I recently bought an OCZ Agility 2 100GB SSD, the new ones that come with the Sandforce controllers, and noticed something of interest. There was a discussion going on in the OCZ forums on performance issues with these drives in relation to having "Enable write caching.." turned on in Windows. Apparently the Sandforce controllers don't like it enabled, and it was suggested to turn it off. Sure enough, once you do, performance goes up, especially with the writes.

So, if you guys have just bought a Sandforce based SSD (OCZ Vertex 2/Vertex 2 Extended, Vertex Pro, Agility 2/Agility 2 Extended, Corsair F200/F100, G.Skill Phoenix among others), do yourselves a favor, and disable write caching for it. When I get the chance I'll post a screenshot of my drives performance differences with and without it enabled.

16. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

cool I have been eyeing SSD's for a while now, I think that with my next upgrade i will get one to boot off :)

17. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

18. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I was impressed at first by mine, but lately there has been a huge performance drop...from around 170mb/s 512k write when I first got it to 127mb/s 512k write...

19. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Yup that's what got me thinking about SSD's seriously :D

20. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Have you got the latest 1.6 firmware and have you been allowing it to run Garbage Collection every so often? (Also what OS do you use?)