SSD drive discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

As promised, here are the screenshots I mentioned for the Agility 2 (I left it as MB/s instead of IOPS.. which, btw, I'm getting 12K IOPS vs the spec'd 10K). Left one is with write cache on, middle is with write cache on but buffer flushing off, and the right one is with write cache off.

I realized I made a mistake when I gave the reason for turning write cache off. What I should have said was that since the Sandforce controllers don't have a cache buffer having this option on or off won't matter (with it on Windows will send the command regardless, but it won't do anything), and you can see that in the scores. However, the interesting part is what happens when you turn off buffer flushing. With that turned off (which you can only do when write cache is turned on) write scores go down. Every single time I run the test the same thing happens: write scores are lower.

Lastly, OCZ has seriously pissed me off with these new Sandforce drives. Not because the drives are bad, far far from it, but I'm pissed because they've released an Extended version of the exact same drive mere days or weeks after releasing the regular drives. These Extended drives have the exact same hardware, literally identical drives, but their firmware has opened up an extra 20GB of space (100/120GB drive has 128GB of space, 28GB of that is spare on the regular drives, 8GB on the Extended). That isn't why I'm pissed exactly (only partially). What has me fuming is that THEY ARE CHEAPER! Not just cheaper, but they have a higher $$ rebate than the standard drive making them even more cheaper! Talk about a double whammy, guys. Thank-you very much, OCZ. I felt great about getting one of these, but now, hell, what a way to make a guy feel like a schmuck.

Attached Files:

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Just because I have it to hand, here is the result I got on our Vertex 2 review sample with the original firmware and a basic Win7 install. Took the screenshot when I was doing preliminary testing to make sure the drive was working fine and how it liked different drivers/controllers.

Attached Files:

• V2.png
      V2.png
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
  3. RyderOCZ

RyderOCZ OCZ Staff

@ Tipstaff,

We are planning on offering the "E"xtended FW for the regular Vertex2 and Agility2 drives, we just don't have an updater that can do it for the public yet.
    Expect it to be destructive (loss of data) when it becomes available.

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Updating now...thanks for pointing it out. Where can I find the Garbage Collector?
    I'm on windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

EDIT: Found it, Read speeds were down slightly and write speeds went up slightly. I'll test again after the FW update

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  5. Tipstaff

Glad to hear that, Ryder. Having had mine for just over 2 weeks now (first of which I wasn't able to use it) you could say finding out about the Extended drives caught me way off guard. It's good to hear that you guys will hopefully have something for us.

6. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Update done...here is a comparison of speeds. (the FW1.4 was when it was new)
    [​IMG]
    FW1.4

[​IMG]
    FW1.5

[​IMG]
    FW1.6

As you can see, there is still a huge drop in the 512K write, but the others seem to be stable.

7. Tipstaff

Out of curiosity, isaak, have you tried updating to the latest Rapid Storage drivers? It might be worth doing.

8. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

From the look of things to me the first result was a bug run. It is nearly impossible to have a higher 512k write over large file sequential writes.

9. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

No I haven't, in fact I have never even heard of rapid storage drivers lol. My drive is OCZ - would it matter that intel made these for their SSDs?

Hmm that would explain it Lowfat.

10. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  11. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

The drivers are for the chipset. So if you are using an Intel-based board you should install them now that they have TRIM working properly through them.

12. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I get an error: This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software.

13. Tipstaff

Actually, it does make sense that he wouldn't know it. Intel changed the name to Rapid Storage, but it's more commonly known as the Matrix Storage Manager. Problem is that Asus stopped at version 8.9.

Ah crap. I totally forgot about this. It's a common error with the P5K series.

Edit: I should ask, you are running the controller in AHCI mode in the bios, right? If not then the driver won't install.

For those that want to know, THIS ARTICLE on TechReport is the reason I suggest upgrading to the latest 9.6 Intel driver. Specifically, "IntelĀ® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device." This was good for me as I have the Agility 2 as my boot, with my apps and some games installed on it, but I get to keep my WD Raptor RAID0 setup intact for all my other game installs. Mind you, even though TRIM is now working with the controller set to RAID it's only good for SSDs that are by themselves. TRIM is still not supported for SSDs in RAID arrays. Oh well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

When I changed the mode of the harddrives from IDE to AHCI my computer would BSOD just after the windows logo finished...
    I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to BIOS commands so it's possible I've missed something, but it could also be that one of my harddrives is IDE whereas the other two + optical drive are SATA?

15. Tipstaff

It's more that the SATA drives are running in an IDE compatible mode. They run just fine, full speed, but the hard drives could run a bit faster due to the NCQ support that AHCI (and RAID too) has. For more on this I would suggest reading THIS article. It explains things very well (and in lamens terms too. LOL ), and even shows benchmarks too.

As for switching over, unfortunately you can't just switch over.. sort of. Previously there was only 1 way to install AHCI support into the OS: during install. That meant setting up the controller to AHCI mode, then installing the OS, inputting the driver needed when asked, or in Windows 7's case, not having to do much as the driver (most times) is there in the installer. Sometimes it will install the correct driver for the controller you have, but most times it will install the basic Microsoft driver. However, with Windows 7 there is a way to switch over to AHCI mode on some controllers, but it's not 100%. Read on.

Give THIS article a read on how to do it (disregard that it talks about the RC version as this works just fine with the non RC). Even easier, on that page the guy even created a registry file right HERE that you just have to right-click and merge then reboot. It's really easy to do, however, I do recommend making a System Restore point prior to doing this JUST IN CASE something screws up. That way you can always use the Windows 7 install disc to do a back step prior to these changes. Mind you, I've done this dozens of times with no problems, and you should have little to no trouble with this. But again, be sure to do the System Restore point FIRST, then start messing around. Once the system reboots into Windows it will more than likely reinstall the controller drivers, maybe even get you to re-activate Windows (I've had this happen in rare cases). Once you've done all the reboots needed be sure to install those Intel Rapid Storage drivers I linked to, or at the very least the 8.9 Intel Matrix Storage driver off of Asus' website.

isaak likes this.
  16. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Here are the latest results in AHCI mode:
    [​IMG]

I'm still a bit disappointed with the 512k write, but everything else has moved up slightly so I will settle for that :)

thanks Tipstaff!

17. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I thought that I would wait until the next generation of solid state technology, but when I read a couple of reviews of smaller SSD's using the Sandforce-1200 controller with impressive performance in spite of their size, I couldn't delay. I got the Corsair F60 60GB(56) and have been very pleased with it for almost a week now. It's great as an OS drive now and when I get another SSD made with the upcoming memory technology this will make an excellent gaming drive. Some quick tests with mission loading in Call of Duty 4 netted just about halved times compared to the Samsung F3 1TB, a relatively speedy 7200rpm harddrive. That and loading times in Starcraft 2 has me wanting another SSD for games already, but there should be new impressive affordables out by this winter already.

I must not forget to add that It's also nice to have a system drive that is completely silent. I'm sold on SSD's now that they've had some time to mature.

18. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

any eta as to when the next sandfore controllers will be out? they will be restricted to Sata 3 right?

19. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Go a little boost on my new system. Using Intel RST drivers.

[​IMG]

20. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

I don't fully understand SSD's. I know windows gets installed on there so it boots quicker, but what about other software and games?

Obviously SSD's are not for storage so are you supposed to install .exe's on there but have it source the necessary data from another drive? I don't get it.

Let's say a game: football manager 2010. If I run it off the SSD it will be quicker, right? But I don't want the 2GB folder clogging up the SSD, can you configure it to read the files from elsewhere? Or am I getting it totally wrong.

If I'm right, any good tutorials you can recommend? Thanks!

Edit: not strictly games. I also mean software like Photoshop and photodex producer (video editing)