SSD drive discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 13, 2009.

1. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

You won a 120GB one, right?

If I were you I would install games on a seperate harddrive and leave windows + programs on the SSD.

And yes, the configuration of the files requires you to change the install directory of the game/program when you are running through the install wizard. You may have to choose 'custom' install so you can manually select a drive location other than that of the (default) SSD. This means the game/program would run off the nonSSD harddrive.

Hope that makes sense and thats what you were after... you will certainly love the upgrade :)

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Basically, you've got a small, fast drive, and a big, slower one.

So, things that don't need to be on a fast drive can obviously go on the big one. That's backups, music, movies, mydocuments etc. as well as most of your programs.

Things that will benefit more from a fast drive need to go on the small fast one. So, firstly, that's Windows. This means that, as iplayer says, everything will try by default to put itself on the same drive as your Windows installation. You'll need to tell it not to.

You will still, however, have some spare space on the SSD when Windows is installed. You can use this space for things that will benefit you most - programs that are slow to load but that you use very regularly. Personally, I'd look to put my most played game at any one time on the SSD. If you've got room, it'd also be awesome to have Steam on there, but that might be wishful thinking.

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

You have to be careful with Steam, especially if you're looking to download games, you can't change the save/download location once Steam has been installed to a certain directory. The same thing can happen with iTunes, where if your library becomes too big it slowly fills the SSD with your music.

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I avoid Itunes like the plague :p

Thing with steam is, it's really no big deal to delete games you're not playing anymore. You can always download them again later on, after all.

5. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

Okay I'm convinced. Windows and Photodex Producer will go on the SSD - everything else on the regular drive. Thanks for the replies!

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

That sounds sensible enough, though you could go for a little more if you like - it is a 120GB drive :p

7. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I have to agree with whats been said above...

I have a Corsair F40 (Thanks to V3 and HH) which i use for windows and applications... (And to add i can't flash it to the Firmware 2.0 as my Mobo dos not support ACHI) so im stuck at 1.1.

Most of the apps i use along with windows 7 (Fully updated) im down to a little over 8 GB free space (40GB SSD) and im want to keep an XX amount free for future windows updates etc... In time i may upgrade to a larger SSD but for now im happy.

I have no complaints at all,Both boot up and shutdown is very fast.Compared to HDD's.

15GB of pictures
    5GB of Music
    5GB of Utility's
    250GB of Steam game files has to go somewhere... So regular HDD are in use.
    100GB of DVD games also.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I'll be getting a small SSD soon, tomorrow actually if delivery stays accurate, and read in a review something about a registry tweak to make the default drive for future program install something other than C: (once the OS is on C: ) Anybody know for certain how to do that and would it be applicable to Win7?

That way you don't have to change anything during program installations, and some programs don't even have a "custom" install so they dump themselves on C: anyways....... I would rather any program install look for D: automatically..... Possible? or not.

9. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

When i got my 160GB SSD i put Windows (duh) on it, apps and since i like to have alot of games installed i decided to put Steam on there and all other games on HD. All of a sudden alot of games i'm getting (retail) require Steam so my SSD was filling up fast. Shortly after i decided to build a new PC and redid my config.

[​IMG]

SSD1
    C : Windows, apps, pagefile

SSD2
    D : Internet cache, downloads, extract folder, save folder
    E : TV recording, images/sound/video import/edit/render, scratch disk

HD1
    F : Games

HD2
    G : Media (documents, music, pictures, videos, ISOs...)

This way, i get fast bootup/shutdown, fast app loading, can keep bulky games and files with no need to delete, and i can multitask with ease (record tv, download, render, game, scan) that would bog down a lonely mechanical drive.

I would love to have a 1TB SSD though and put all the games on there. However sometimes there is more to loading a game's level, and app for that matter, than just reading the files off the disk. It has to unpack, calculate shaders, do pre-cache stuff, whatever, you won't always see a 200% boost in loading times.

As for installing, never seen an app/game that didn't allow for you to change the default install folder.

10. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

How big of a drive is needed for Windows 7 and a few basic programs like firefox and a few gigs for random stuff

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Its going to depend on the random Stuff you want to install...

Im managing of a Corsair F40 (40GB) with around 10GB spare space..For future updates etc...I got the drive for nothing (Thanks to HH Admins)

But if i were going to buy a SSD i would go for a minimum of 60GB..

12. Tyrsonswood

I've got Win7 32bit on a 32 gig with 18 gig free. I haven't done any pruning either, that is as installed. Google Chrome browser is on there, things like CPUZ, Hardware Monitor and GPUZ along with Radeon drivers and AMD Overdrive.

I'd go for a 60 if I were to do it again

13. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I've got 20.3gb left on my SSD, with things like windows 7 64bit, ms office, drivers and small monitoring programs

14. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

On a 60GB SSD, I have Win7 (which took up about 20GB of space). I threw in Starcraft II (a necessity), along with browsers/vlc/unzipping packages/MS office/etc and am running at about 15gb free. I then have 4TB in other drives for storage.

15. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

+1 lol, I should've. It takes so long to load :(

16. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

You can always reinstall/copy the folder to the drive (if you have room!).

17. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Can it just be copied?

18. synthesis204

synthesis204 New Member

It can. I did it to move it from my desktop to laptop (assuming Windows to Windows).

isaak likes this.
  19. Drowningshrimp

Drowningshrimp New Member

Intel is a very good brand, but this is one that I like even more; Kingston.

They have a 64GB for £90, with extremely fast read/write times.

20. Tyrsonswood

You should see the Kingston in a 2X RAID 0........ Blistering fast!