SSD drive discussion thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 13, 2009.

1. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

With all the new drives coming out, what is the best bang for the buck with looking for one for my Desktop and my laptop both, they only really need to be 64GB or the desktop one could be 128GB but I don't really see a need to have all of my programs installed on the SSD

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I get mine when Newegg throws a sale..... That's at least every two weeks for the 64GB sizes, with rebates on top of that they can be had reasonably priced. (NOTE: I didn't say "cheap")

OCZ makes a good drive in the Vertex2, and the Kingston V100+ is fast too....... I've got both, a pair in two different systems (mine are in RAID 0, but I've seen the perform singly)

I also have a Corsair, but am not overly impressed, it's okay but the other two brands are much faster.

3. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

so is the new tech just not out long enough yet to make the older drives cheaper? or is the older technology more expensive

4. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

is there much of a difference between the v100 and the v100+ series from kingston?

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I think primarily that the SSD is a "hot topic" they aren't being sold in the quantity that would make them a "hot item" yet...... so when a new version comes out they don't dump the old ones cheap. Also latest tech is SATA 6gps (sata 3) and not everybody has a board capable of that so the SATA II drives are still viable for many people, so prices will stay higher than one would think. (or hope)

As far as V100 vs. V100+ ??? I wouldn't know from experience, I believe the controller has improved so the + version is more reliable and specs out quicker. The ones I have benchmark about the same as the OCZ.....

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

At the moment, I would stick with Corsair or ADATA for anything below 128GB due to the fiasco that is OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60-128GB. Just read up on the net about it. The only exception would be if you buy the OCZ Vertex 2 Extended drives larger than 128GB, or 60 and 128GB drives that have the model numbers OCZSSD2-2VTX60G and OCZSSD2-2VTX120G. These are revised drives with proper 16chip specs (old model numbers were OCZSSD2-2VTXExxxG).

7. Ralph_Machio

Ralph_Machio Like Sleeve of Wizard

Ok, bare with me.

I'm going to buy an SSD and two HDDS. I want to set up a RAID 1. I do use Itunes with about 30gbs of music. I use AV editing software (Premiere, Sonar, etc.), along with some smaller programs. Speed is a factor in my large apps and some of my games. I will have several games installed at a time (some Steam). I would like to have 1-2gbs of storage space. I'm guessing my SSD is going to have to be 180-240Gbs.

Now my knowledge of using multiple drives is just using two separate HDDs in windows XP. One as an installation, the other, simply storage. I would instal on my C drive and manually move files to the D drive. Pretty inferior, I know

I've been reading up on TRIM, RAID, and so on, yet I still can't figure out how I'm going to install Windows and manage these drives the most effectively. I mean, I know how to read instructions on my motherboard bios and so forth. And I've wached videos on how to install a SSD boot drive along with an HDD. But, I still don't know how I should set this up, partition, run, etc.

Somebody save me!!! I've gotten some good advice here and there on a few things, but I'm still at a loss with the entire picture. I'm close to having enough cash to buy all my components and starting. Any advise will help. Even, on what drives you think I should buy.

System components I've decided upon-

Case- Corsair Obsidian 650D

Motherboard- G1 Sniper 2

Cpu- Intel i7 2600k 3.4Ghz

Ram- 16Gbs Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz so far (if anyone could advise me how to max it out that'd help. I have 4 240pin slots, and max memory supported is 32Gbs)

Cooling- Corsair H100

PS, SSD, HDDs- Still up in the air

8. caqde

caqde Active Member

Well given that you want to install applications onto the main drive. Which in this case would be an SSD there is a command for Windows Vista/7 that could save you a lot of grief. Here is a MaximumPC article about how to use it ->

Maximum PC | How-To: Use Symbolic Links to Master Vista's File System

Basically with this command you will be able to store applications and folders that you don't need on your SSD onto your Harddrives while still making the applications think that it is on your main drive. Like say your Itunes folder could actually be stored on D:\Itunes Music\ by using the command {mklink /D "D:\Itunes Music\" "C:\Users\caqde\Music\iTunes" } This will make Itunes think it is in your users music directory but actually be in a completely separate location.

It is a cool command and really useful for relocating things like Steam games. Just don't try an relocate things like your Program Files directory :).

9. Ralph_Machio

Interesting article,

Thanks for posting it.

I would be worried that I would be moving folders I shouldn't be. Is there a way to automate the process? Is there an option like that in Win 7 Pro?

10. Ralph_Machio

Also,

Does anyone have any experience with the Corsair Force 3 240gb?

11. caqde

caqde Active Member

Only thing I can really offer is a GUI for mklink itself, What I would really suggest is only moving the folders of programs you install and stay away from system folders. The worst that can happen then is the program would fail. Oh and make sure the program is not running when you move it.

https://code.google.com/p/symlinker/ <-- GUI app for Mklink

Although on a thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have such an application to automate this process. It is just that no one has either A) made one or B) bothered to post it on the internet.

Tipstaff likes this.
  12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Dude, you just made my day. +rep for that, caqde.

13. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

New Intel SSD Toolbox v3.0.0 out. Looks nice with lots of options. I'm wondering how accurate the Estimated Life Remaining is. GJ Intel. Also updated firmware on my X-25Ms. Got a little boost.

[​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Quite a big boost in write performance there.

15. griff

griff New Member

I have been running 3 GSkill 64gigers in Raid0 for the last three years with no problems at all. Here is a screen shot of a bench late 2011.

Attached Files:

16. potnop

potnop New Member

I'm looking to buy an SSD. So far I have to 512MB drives but windows can get pretty slow sometimes, especially starting up, or when I pause a VM, or when I have 2 3DS max instances running, photoshop, and Starcraft 2.

I looked online and I see they are pretty expensive so I want to make sure I make the right purchase. What kinds of specs are the right thing to look for? I'm not sure if I should settle for a cheap 60GB one or get a 120GB one.

I have a lot of games which take a LOT of space, but maybe I'm better off just getting a 60GB drive and keeping OS only stuff on there. I usually install things into program files by default but I might have to install everything on the 512 GB drives from now on.

17. juninho85

juninho85 New Member

i'm very happy with a crucial M4 128 gb...very stable and speedy :)

18. pt49

pt49 I'm just a NumbNut

The system I'm building includes several SSD's.

I keep seeing referals to HDD's in new builds that use SSD's, and being a noob at building my own computer, I would like a simple explanation of why I need a HDD in a system with several SSD's?

I expect I'll be setting up a RAID for my drives (remember I'm a noob builder)... as such, do I include the HDD (if I include one) in a RAID configuration?

Maybe a concise explanation of how a HDD works in a modern computer with SSD's would help.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

The reason people put a HDD in a system is because they are much much cheaper per GB than an SSD. So the most common setup is an SSD boot with a HDD storage.

I assume you will be using Raid 0 for speed, you'll want two fast SSDs preferably of the same type and size for best results. Then for mass storage a large HDD on it's own.

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

For workstations that are used for Video/Audio/Image editing the ideal solution is one SSD for the OS and software and one or two HDD's (if two then RAID0).