SSD Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by isaak, Mar 13, 2010.

1. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Hey guys, as some of you may know I've got an OCZ Vertex Series SSD.

I have been very happy with this drive so far, but tonight I ran a quick benchmark of the drive and came up with some disappointing results:
    [​IMG]

This is compared to a previous benchmark I ran when I first got the drive...

[​IMG]

Does this happen to everyone?? It's only about one or two months old.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I don't know much about SSD's but won't fragmentation hurt performance on those as well so a defrag might fix it?

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I don't think SSD's can be defraged........ Seems I read that somewhere, maybe in one of Lowfat's posts. (I may be wrong about that, memory is not what it used to be ;) )

4. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Tyrons is right...I heard defragging was actually bad for them.

I knew performance would drop over time, but would it really be this sharply? I'm just wondering if I'm missing something....

5. ExitiosuS

ExitiosuS Simian Masterpiece!

A defrag means nothing to an SSD, there is no such thing as a fragmented file on a SSD, there are no rotating platters fetching locations, etc...

And yes, a defrag is bad for an SSD because the lifespan of an SSD is based writes, not spindle hours. There really is no need to place files in a logically "connected" order, causing a large amount of writes and re-writes on areas that do not require it.

Though, after two months, the performance drop seems quite large. There is probably something to it. On my SSD, I've had it for about a year now and I've not seen any performance drops. I'd say to keep an eye on it, check three months from now. It might be coming into its own, now... but, maybe someone more experienced might have something more insightful to say with regards to that performance drop.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I think I should ask the obvious questions since there is no mention of it: which operating system are you using, isaak? And, what firmware version are you using?

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Windows 7 64bit, firmware 1.4

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Update to 1.5 This thread has the 1.5 FW update for Agility and Vertex drives

Then that night logout your system to the user prompt and leave it to idle overnight. The improved garbage collection in 1.5 will then kick in and should bring your performance back up. (1.5 is also faster than 1.4 from what I remember anyway).

9. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Another thing you could try in addition to the advice given is to kill hard drive sleep in windows. With sleep enabled I noticed my WEI score/benchmarks were dropping over time so I disabled it completely. Everything went back to normal within a couple of days. Worth a try imho

10. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Just a question before I flash the drive: does it erase all the data on it? if so I'm really not keen to do this during my exam time so I may have to postpone this for around 2 weeks. I've never done this before so if there are any handy tips anyone has I would surely be grateful : D

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

There's always that risk. There's been so many firmware mishaps with SSD's that it's best to assume that the drive will be emptied even if the instructions do not clearly say so. You could always image the drive before to be safe, but with much work to do I say wait a little. I'm sure the drive still is pretty fast in real practice in spite of the difference in numbers. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  12. Stuart_Davidson

I agree with Mkk. If you are doing something important and the flash is not critical, wait.

13. dipstick

dipstick New Member

1.5 should not be a destructive flash but you should prepare for the worst like already mentioned. Its would be a good idea to skim through their ssd forum too. Lots of info buried in there
    OCZ Flash Support And Discussion Forum

14. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys. Would an .iso image be the best way to back up the computer and then run from that after the SSD has been flashed? as I said I've never done something like this before.

15. Stuart_Davidson

Windows Backup And Restore allows you to create an image (which you hopefully wont need)

16. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I'm done with exams now and ready to do this. I read through the OCZ flashing guide - am I correct in saying that I'll need to install Windows onto my other HDD to boot from, install the jumper on the SSD, switch to IDE mode, then boot into windows on the secondary harddrive and run the FW update?
    I have a feeling thats the old way...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  17. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

OK. Update done and I am up and running on 1.5

Here are the new speeds...still not fully back but I'll try what Veridian suggested and leave my system logged out for the night.

[​IMG]