SSD question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by LeanWolf, Oct 25, 2011.

1. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Hey again!

So I've got my new updated rig up and running (turns out it WAS the power supply on my old rig that had died). Anyway now I have a Corsair F60GB SSD with with my OS (Win7Pro x64). The problem is that every time boot up windows fails to load and I'm fairly certain its because the SSD takes too long to start up/get detected. I push ESC to restart and it always loads up fine the second time.

I've checked over at Corsair and it might have something to do with problems with Sandybridge and SSDs, but they don't seem bothered with updating the firmware for anything but their latest sata 3 drives.

I thought I'd ask here because most here seem to have latest hardware rigs so maybe you could shed some light. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also: my boot screen always goes to my second display (my tv) until windows logon appears on the monitor. It never did this with my old rig and is somewhat annoying combined with the boot problem. Anyone know a fix for this?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

try a different DVI port for the primary display..

as for the SSD issues... Many motherboards have a delay option for detecting..... it sounds exactly like you said.... it's not detecting it, by default most are either 0 seconds or 35 seconds (35 being utterly rediculious)..... set it to 5 should do the trick.. but an SSD shouldn't take that long... odd..

Also ... make sure your running in AHCI or RAID mode on the controller... you definitely don't want it running IDE.... (IDE is default)

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Have a look at the motherboard BIOS updates and if there are any, see if they mention some drive related improvements.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

SSDs are instant on though (or at least fast before the drive detect), so unlike WD drives there is no "delay". You can try what was mentioned, but I doubt that's going to help.

One reoccurring issue I've had is with some older SATA2 Sandforce based drives not working properly on SATA3 ports/controllers. They just fail to run at all, or appear/disappear during boot. So, what I would do is switch the drive to another port. If I remember correctly the first 2 ports on that board, the white ones, are SATA3, so I would try switching the drive to the first black one (since they are using right angled connectors it's important to note that the bottom one is always the first port, in this case bottom white is 0, top is 1, bottom black is 2, top is 3, and so fourth), and at the same time move whatever optical drives you have to the very last black one (top port of the very last connector).

I would also look in the bios to see what your boot options are, specifically in your bootup list (if you followed my above suggestion you should do this anyways as the boot list will have changed). Take out anything except the SSD and the optical drive, and make sure the SSD is first in the list too. Things such as USB devices (card readers, flash drives, usb keyboard/mouse, and network boot) can all stall the bootup. I've seen computers just sit at post whenever an IBM USB mouse was connected due to the way the controller works in the mouse, and I've seen this happen with some fancier USB keyboards too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  5. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Thanks for the advice guys; unfortunately I've already know about/tried all the things that you suggest ;)

Judas: in BIOS (or UEFI as I have ;)) I don't see a delay for detect, but I have a delay for input that was set to 1. I believe its the delay for pressing the key to enter bios before loading the OS. I changed it to 5 and we'll see how it goes next boot.
    Yes I know it must be in AHCI for trim to be working on my ssd :)

mkk: yup latest bios! ;)

Tipstaff: well that's just the problem, if i enter bios on the first boot the ssd is not even in the list of available drives in the boot menu, which is why it fails to find an OS. On the reboot it reappears and works fine. Yes I know that its a SATA 2 drive so I didn't waste a precious SATA 3 socket on it. ;) I disabled all other possible power ups (USB, mouse, lan etc), maybe I should turn some back on to give the SSD time to be detected :D

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

update the firmware on the SSD since that is the only thing that you haven't done...

7. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Thanks tem but I've checked that too (see OP). ;)

Changing the delay didn't work because it checks for drives before asking for the key to get into setup.

So nobody else experiences this problem... anybody have their OS on a Corsair Force series SATA 2 SSD?

8. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

On my experience using an F60 before I got my Agility 3 I'd suspect a weakness in the motherboard BIOS. I had something similar happen on cold boots with my previous Gigabyte P45 motherboard that they solved in the next BIOS. Maybe contact ASRock as the motherboard makers often have beta BIOS'es in store for various issues.

9. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

If you want a touch more delay, is there an option to verify all the RAM at each boot, that should spin it out a few seconds

10. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Thanks for another tip, I've set the Fast boot option for RAM to disabled. I'll see how that works on next boot.

I have a rather noob question: I'm running AHCI but not using RAID, so do I need the Intel storage manager driver? After OS installation I installed the INF drivers and that's it, do I need anything else?

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Got Force 3 GT with OS on it. No issues running AHCI mode :)

12. Tipstaff

Time and again I've had nothing but problems with Corsair Force drives. My own F115 is fine, but I've had too many issues with F60's and F120's that I gave up on them (BSOD's galore, disappearing partitions, hibernation issues.. bah).

I was talking with my biz partner, and he reminded me about something. We had this very same issue with 2 x F120 drives that I bought at the same time (apparently were from the same batch). They refused to consistently show up in the bios on the couple of Intel's own P67 boards he tried them on. Boot up, there it was, reboot, gone, reboot, nope, reboot, yep. In any case he was about to take them back when someone with an older chipset (a 40 series) asked for a couple drives, and sure enough they worked on that system flawlessly, so it was win win, bye bye drives.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  13. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

It seems the only Intel storage driver is the "Rapid Storage Technology", merging RAID & AHCI - for anything from Atom netbooks upward.

14. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

Nope disabling fastboot didn't fix it.

It's very odd, the drive works flawlesslessly, it simply isn't found on the first boot. It's a consistent annoyance that eats into my otherwise very quick bootup time.

Matth: so.. is that a yes or a no? :confused:

can nobody answer my noob questions? are they not-so-noobish after all or perhaps too noobish? :D

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Just a thought..... have you tried a different power plug on that drive? Not one on the same cable, but on a different cable entirely.

16. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

That's an idea.. i currently have all 3 HDD on one cable and the DVD alone on another. I'll try anything at this point, thanks :)

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

It "shouldn't" make any difference, but that 12v rail could powerup slower than the MOBO power...... Not normal, but possible.

18. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

19. Tipstaff

Don't think this will help. The issue is during bootup, before Windows is even loaded.

Best 3 pieces of advice I've seen:
    - backup the drive (image it to file), flash the drive with the current firmware, do a secure wipe of the drive, then dump the image back.

- update OR downgrade the motherboard bios (going one step down at a time)

- From Corsair: "RMA" <---cheeky

20. PinzaC55

PinzaC55 PinzaC55

When my PC is booting it shows "No Hard Drive Detected" for a second then opens up. Doesn't seem to be a big deal whatever causes it.