SSDs are about to get cheaper as prices expected to drop by 10-15% in Q4 2020 & Q1 2021

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

According to industry analyst firm TrendForce, coming via the Storage Newsletter, the memory market (including DRAM and NAND flash) is still in a state of oversupply till Q4 2020, and SSD prices could drop significantly soon by the end of this year.

Storage Newsletter cites that the average price for NAND flash memory will drop another 10% by end of this year i.e. Q4 2020 (average selling price-ASP), and then decrease 15% more in the first quarter of 2021. This has been caused due to the imbalance between supply and demand, and also because of the high amounts of inventory/chip stocks, and large NAND wafer production.

The demand for SSDs has also declined in the server and enterprise market.

Apart from that, Huawei has not being able to buy foreign NAND due to US sanctions, and other clients have already stocked up on NAND so they have high inventory levels.

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Calliers

Lord knows I'm itching to get a 2TB m.2 to stick into my spare slot. Or larger. :D

3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

I'm itching for a 980 PRO :)

QB

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The main reason I want SSDs to become much cheaper, ASAP, are for reliability and storage capacity. The mechanical drives seem to have hit a plateau (real or not no idea), and I would love to get a 20TB SSD for storage for 120 euros (as soon as I have 120 euros).

5. Calliers

You'd probably be looking at a SATA SSD instead of an m.2 one then.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

m.2 and u.2 deployment is rising and the shift from AHCI or rather Sata protocols for flash drives is matching it. It really doesn't make sense to build a flash drive with a sata protocol these days, frankly it irks me they still do. Chances are though that a ultra high capacity SSD will occur with the quintuple level nand flash arrives. They'll be able to pack in a hell of a lot of data into the space, we already have quad level.... for storage intentions it's fine, i would not recommend them for daily OS drivers however but even for an average joe it would last ages.

Samsung seems to have rumours floating about their 5 level nandflash targets. 160 some odd layers providing up to 8TB on an m.2 nvme drive at about $300 potentially. It'll still be faster than a SATA connected SSD. Rewrites won't however be that fast but damn close.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Calliers

The man wants a 20TB flash drive, not 8TB.

There are already 8TB m.2 drives available.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

Yeah.... fitting 20TB into the m.2 form factor seems a little out of the question right now... you can cram a lot of NAND into a 3.5"/2.5" enclosure.

QB

Calliers likes this.
  9. Judas

there are 96TB SSDs too.. and a 16GB m.2 drive as well, but price is the problem.

I was referring to cost effective 8tb drives arriving hopefully sometime within the next year.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

8TB SSD at $300....yeah, I would find that acceptable if it comes out within a year. $200 even better even for a SATA version. Not 20TB as I want (at low price), but definitely something to look for if it comes out as you say within the next year.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

The fact of the matter is that SSDs, most especially m.2 SSDs will be the future, and HDDs will probably be extinct within the next 5 to 10 years in enthusiast computers.

Not servers of course, heck magnetic tape is still being used in servers to this day because of its storage vs. price ratio.

Personally, I think m.3 slots are the future, not m.2.

12. Judas

i'm being likely very optimistic.... as this was being discussed before covid. I was reading late 2021 as a hopeful launch date for i think someone was suggesting they were going to call it a SVO ssd by samsung

Trusteft likes this.
  13. Calliers

For me an optimal drive would be an 8TB m.2. But for now I have enough space.