Stalker Beta Discussion!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Feb 21, 2007.

1. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I've unlocked the RPG, grenade launcher, and the last sniper rifle. All are crazy good but I have been kill by a pistol before and they took my weapon.

My Gtx runs it max with AA and 16 people. Slows down for some lightning strikes but its otherwise good.

2. JohnnyChance

JohnnyChance New Member

i didnt like deathmatch at first, but after playing it for a couple hours, it really grew on me. the map is so huge, and there are so many different areas to play in, that you can kinda stick to the areas that suit your style of play. plus after awhile, the players will all gravitate towards one area of the map, either around the multi-level warehouse or the train yard. and then, once all dozen or so guys keep returning to one area, some really cool battles take place. i especially love the ones in the train yard, where i am able to keep my distance and pick off people as they battle each other up close.

i think they have pretty much eliminated camping with their style mp and their map design. anytime i come across a place where i think, wow, this is a great camping spot, i see another way to flank that spot, or vulnerable blind side.

3. JohnnyChance

JohnnyChance New Member

i dont get a glowing green sky (like the skybox is fucked up) but ill get weird fog that is blocky and colored funky (usually green). it started happening after i turned my settings down to get it to run better. i just figure my lame computer cant generate the lighting/enviromental effect they are trying to display, and i get this bootleg version instead. its a little annoying, but i realize the comp i am playing it on is 3 years old, and was pretty middle of the road then. i just like the game so much im willing to settle for poor enviro effects just to play it.

4. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

well at fist the game was fun when loads of people were trying the game for the first time but now all the snipers and campers are really taking the xxxx ,specially when u join a game that its already in progress its nearly impossible to frag enough people to buy good weapons .and when u do u have 30 seconds left:x :x :annoyed:

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Greetings and welcome to DriverHeaven!

I'm using a test system right now with some borrowed RAM. The test system is:

Windows XP Pro SP2 completely updated
    Intel D975XBX motherboard w/ latest BIOS and drivers
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    PowerColor X1950 256 MB DDR3 PCIe
    OCZ DDR2 800 High Performance 2x512 MB in Dual Channel Mode running at 667 MHz
    ATI CAT 7.2 w/ATT installed

Game settings:

1280x1024
    Maximum Quality

The following images are taken from a session with no others logged in. FPS show in the upper right corner.

Remember to click again on the image to get the full size view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

just a silly question is 1440x900 more gpu demanding than 1280x1024\?

7. Dyre Straits

I have no idea. I'm using a 21 inch CRT with Refresh Rate at 85 Hz.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

1490x900 = 2340*
    1280x1024 = 2304*

9. $tr4ngeBrew

$tr4ngeBrew New Member

Thanks for that! And thanks for taking the time to post pics.

Not what I wanted to discover though... Framerates don't seem to be mighty (on max) even on an x1950... My 7800 obviously has no chance at coping.. Looks like I have no choice but to frantically look for a better gfx card which will be difficult for me at the moment. Man I really want to play on absolute max :tears:

10. $tr4ngeBrew

$tr4ngeBrew New Member

Woops I didn't see these replies. Can I ask what clocks is your card at? core/memory.

11. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

For all the people complaining about AA, you can only use AA if you use the static lighting (dx8 render). If you use any of the other 2 render you will NOT get AA, even if you have a super PC, this is not because it's a beta, it's going to be this way in the final version. The reason they don't use AA with the other lighting renders has to do with the way the engines game renders things in dx9, it's just the way the game engine works.

12. JohnnyChance

JohnnyChance New Member

i think if you join a game in progress, the should average every current player's cash and give you that (or a certain percentage of that, like 60-80%) so that you dont start in such a hole.

what is the command line for displaying fps?

13. OpusP.Gladiator

OpusP.Gladiator '42'

1600x1050 on my 7800gt:)

First off a Huge thanks goes out to DH for doing this as I think this community and the gaming community really enjoy playing with "known" peeps!!!
    After getting everything werkin correctly (realtively easy fortunately) the game loaded I'm guessing at the default settings of 1024... well I have a great monitor that just loves seeing everything at full res 1600x1050, so I bumped it up to that and Joined a match and conveniently got my Butt Handed to me...
    It was fun, one thing I didn't think was good was the internal clock changing from day to nite so fast.... I think it should be slowed down to at least half as fast as it currently is if not more...
    Also, not sure if it was my system or what but the rain/lightning flashes or maybe dynamic lighting didn't really look that great... Otherwise the map was a good size with plenty of spots... It was a bit difficult for me getting used to the controls as I rarely play this style of game but they were in all the normal places and could be easily learned after a few good hours. ( I am an Unreal Tournament King btw...)
    I need to spend a little more time with it to have fun with the advanced weopans and hopefully stay alive a bit longer... thought it was interesting how the machine gun reacted though, Realistic firing which can be tough to control when fully automatic, hence short bursts are better:) That is all for now...
    HF an GL:)

14. Dukester

Dukester New Member

Got my key yesterday and many thanks to DH for letting me in on Stalker which I have been waiting for, for many years :) I'm running a 21 inch WS HD lcd gateway monitor and it looks sweet ( EYECANDY!!!). I like the effects and such. Can't wait to buy it and mess around with the SP mode. Had to work this morning so only got to play for 10 minutes, but watch out tonight when i get off work. Gona mess around with cranking up the video settings and will keep you all posted. Cheers

15. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

485 core
    1250 memory
    standard cooling. I think I could push it a bit higher, but I doubt I'd see much or an improvement.

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

I'm playing on 1440x900 and I actually get a lot better performance on all of my games.

17. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well technically speaking, you should get exactly the same perforamce... No real tangible difference :rofl:

18. Dyre Straits

What are your actual framerates? and resolution?

19. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

Not quite so. A lot of first person shooters don't support a real widescreen field of view, but just remove the top and bottom part of the picture. So, although the resolution is almost identical between 1440x900 and 1280x1024 in terms of the number of pixels, the game renders significantly less geometry at 1440x900, thus improving performance.

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Hmmm that's interesting! Good to know, especially when performance is important for wealer systems.

Thanks for the info :)