'Star Wars' missile defense system fails again - GO AMERICA!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Warpy, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

For the second time in two months, and the third straight time in two years, a test of the national missile defense system has failed, reports the Los Angeles Times. Although mock ballistic missile launched Sunday from Alaska without problems, the interceptor designed to shoot it down failed to launch from the Ronald Reagan Test Site at Kwajalein Atoll in the central Pacific Ocean.

It's certainly embarrassing at a time when the administration has basically decided that its North Korea policy is missile defense," said John Pike, director of Globalsecurity.org, a nonprofit defense analysis group. "You don't get second chances in nuclear combat."

Bloomberg News reports that the last two tests were "to replicate to a greater degree than previous exercises since 1999 the flight path of an incoming North Korean ballistic missile."

The missile defense system has been championed by President Bush since his election in 2000. In May of 2003 the White House published the National Policy on Ballistic Missile Defense Fact Sheet, which lists the reasons that the US believes that the development of such a program is important.

I agree it is important for the sake of the USA's National Security, If i were a **Cough** president and acted like Mr Bush and his clan, I'd be thirsty for a defence system to be put in place ASAP, with all the rumors about the American government being controlled/manipulated by the Middle Eastern countries with the aid of the mighty $$ (BWX - calm down and go grab a drink) it would be in the countries interest to protect itself, if I had blown up as many people and created havoc, heart ache and pain, acted like a mad man on a desperate mission to satisfy my own wants, I'd be a little keen for some protection... I guess it has taken this long to put such a technology into effect due to other important roles Mr Bush has, such as vacations... after all the last place id look is my own people if I were him, as my damn Military cant even get it right when we go to war... most casualities in the Gulf War and Iraq war were produced by their own people! Go America!

I reckon America will blow itself up testing a nuke or something along those lines, you can only be trigger happy for so long before a thick headed G.I Joe thinks he is in France when he is in Utah.... they seem very poorly trained when it comes to engaging the enemy, from reports I have read they are heavily dependant on technology, hence the DELTA Force's rolled up sleeves, sunglasses and looking cool whilst taking a bullet in the ass for your buddy look. I say you can't beat the good old SAS approach, blend in, gather intel, get out and then engage, instead of the U.S approach... ENGAGE! ENGAGE! And if your still around after the 17th carpet bomb (which is a high probability - since their aiming is crap) you may want to leave espesh if you see buildings still standing.

English / Australian methods:

1. Study the enemy / Gather Intelligence.
    2. Engage the enemy.
    American or "turkey" approach:
    1. Blow the crap out of what you think is the enemy, if its not the enemy then validate actions later, since they looked like the enemy and I'm sure one of them looked like Osama.
    2. Intel doesnt work within U.S depts as they dont communicate, rumor is the CIA have never heard of the FBI.

2. Frodo301

Frodo301 Outraged

Hmm, I seem to remeber reports during the beginning of either the war with Afgan or Iraq of Special Forces units dropping in on an airfield w/o anyone at the base aware that they were ever there. By the time a "calling card" was found SF had performed the recon and pulled out. I guess thats due to the poor training and reliance on technology to do the job:rolleyes:. As far as that goes the Special Forces uses individuals who look, speak, and act like whatever part of the world they are in. But hey, it's just the same old bash this or that of the USA that I've gotten so used to these days.:rolleyes: I do agree with you on one point, the FBI, CIA and military intel sectors really don't seem to communicate too well, too much politics and pride between them. Hopefully with a national intel admin will help that problem.

3. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

They need more than a national intel admin to help them... a change in:

1. Attitude to the life and value of others
    2. Remove the clan leader!!

4. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Muahahahahaha..... where is bwx on this one, hes running late on hijacking this thread.

Missle defence.....wtf do they need that for, tighten your borders should be the first objective, its not like Iraq/Syria/Iran/Palastinians/Russia/Usama/Afganistan/France/Saudi Arabia/.... can shoot a missle to hit the U.S. N. Korea they wouldnt, its not in their intrest. But the intrests of the U.S is to protect themselvs and use pre-emptive strikes when they feel it is necessary, no matter who gets hurt.

National Admin advisor.... haha what a joke, have you seen the guy, suposodly he was in bed with the enemy back in the 80's and 90's..... Hes 65! Jeez bring out the pacemaker, hell be dead soon.

5. Frodo301

Frodo301 Outraged

I'm not so much talking of a single individual as I am of an agency to take all of the info gathered from the fbi, cia, miitary and allied agencies and try to piece it together. This is something that we as a nation have needed for years and it is a pity that it has taken something like 911 to open the eye's of capitol hill for it's need. I do agree tighter border control is needed as well, more tracking of who is coming in/out but in the end we are more or less an open nation and people will come and go as they wish.

6. CaptinSxb

CaptinSxb New Member

Are you talking about the laser guided carpet bombs that have an incredibly high accuracy rate? Or are you just talking about WW I-II. If its the latter the English and Australians did the same thing...:p

Missle defense is, in my mind, more important. As terrible as 9/11 was it would be nothing compared what a nuclear bomb could do if it hit. Its basically trying to prevent the worse of two evils.

7. Sandok

Sandok New Member

The sad truth is if someone wants to bomb someone else... He will. No matter how good a defense system is, nukes can always make it.. Nothing is perfect :(

8. Captn

Captn New Member

The Los Angeles Times, Now theres an unbiased newspaper. Dont believe everything you read Warpy :rofl:

9. [)arkNova

[)arkNova New Member

I heard just the opposite 2 days ago. Our tests shot down a missle shot from Hawaii . Warpy,your opinions don't mean anything to me.

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  11. The New Guy

The New Guy New Member

That's all good and well Mr. Cowboy, but you do realize they've been trying to get this system developed for ages, and well, all they have to show are a few tests?

And also, why on god's green earth do you want a bunch MORE satellites up there spinnign around clogging the orbitals simply so your beloved America can further police the "free" world(seems these days the only ones who are free are the ones who bow to the American flag)

12. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Many tests over many years, thats the only way they can learn is to test but it's not "free" to test they waste a dummy missle / made from a mockup real one and another real missle that shoots that one down. They also get alot of data from multiple monitoring sites and they look for ways to inprove, fix bugs flaws , etc... then gove it another go....

In my reasding don't get why people keep calling this "bushes missle defence system", when it's far more accurate to call it americas missle defence system... though many people seem to think bush is some emporor or something he is a elected offical with limited power. The congress and senate, the represenatives hold the power..Bush is just a figure head.....

You realise this system is a shoot down weapon that could protect form an attack or lessen an all out attacks efficency.... "if you want peace PREPARE FOR WAR" a famous quote for you...It holds true... Let say a silo is compromised and a missle is some how fired at us. We at lest have a sporting chance of a shoot down. Wich could mean avauioding an all out nuclaer world war... seems thats worth a few pennies lol

Actually we do thingas other don't, only god knows why, stand back and let things happen and we will just have to deal with it. Just like europes not like iran must not get nukes!, thier like how do we live with iran as a new nuclear power... as if they all ready have them and there is aboultly nothing they can do about it... It's i dunno defeatism? to asume all effects will fail before anything is started and not bothering trying ....

It's more important now becouse of N korea.... We need to show we could shoot down a possable attack. The world is watching... If N korea think we'll just shoot down any missle the attemp to fire @ us they will be reluctant to fire that missle... Also since N koreas main souce of income is the sell of arms.. you can rest assured they will be selling nukes to anyone with a checkbook large enough... the most effective nuclar exposion it needs to happen way above the ground wich can only be done by a missle... wich by any standard is volenrable... thier large size becouse of fuel storage etc.... to be able to get here and risistance and free fall... leaves a big opening for a shoot down...

Wich is better? a shot down missle? or a dead planet earth / population ZERO?

13. [)arkNova

[)arkNova New Member

New Guy,if that missle defense system distroyed a missile over your house and saved your loved ones,would you still not want it? You would probably say,no I wouldn't because I want to be equal to everyone else. The same amount of danger. I say, I don't think so. Mr. president,if you got a way to protect me. Then Mr. president,you are doing your job.

14. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Warpy, as a representative of the DOD and an avid member of the Star wars approach, the system has far reaching goals and isnt just about anti missle defense. You would be surprised, but it can find threats deep in the desert...say like Somalia.....

15. raid517

raid517 New Member

I didn't read any of the posts on this subject - and I'm not going to either. The first post on this subject should have been moved to the flamewarzone. However I think it's interesting That Canada recently refused to allow the US to base any SDI (or star wars) missiles in their country. Unfortunately my own country (the UK) did agree, but with recent trends that is hardly much of a surprise. Frankly I don't blame them. It seems like a bit of a rough deal. I mean it's not like the missiles will offer any protection to the countries in which they are based. The deal is, if we get attacked you will not use them, but if your early warning systems (most of which are based in our countries too) detect that there is an attack in progress on the US, then they will be used. So if you forgive me for asking the obvious question... What exactly is in it for us?

Anyway the technology will eventually get better. You have to build these things and then learn from them in order to make improvements. It is just a real pity that a country that has such obvious technological talents, uses so much of the technology it designs simply to blow stuff up. It would be so much better if you used your resources to make this world a much more pleasant place to live in.

GJ

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Only concern.... is that anything that is made for defence.. can quite easily turn into something made for offensive attacks.... Problem, while being a defensive missile turned offensive... it would still be seen as a defensive missile... till it hit it's destination...

17. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

the best defense is a good offense?

18. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

absolutely prodigal...absolutely

19. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

While I find myself increasingly supportive of an array of local missile defense systems --rather than a national program-- I find it incredibly amusing that so many people are so quick to ridicule the dilligent efforts of our scientific and military professionals. As if developing incredibly complex technologies is easy. Or quick.

I guess to you people, Rome was built in a day.

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

The very issue it appears is that so many "black hole" funded projects were concieved and executed during the formative years of the cold war, and perhaps during the post Berlin Wall years as well, and we taxpayers in the United States supported it whether we liked it or not. But to create a canopy of protection ourselves and our allies is essential to step beyond the post nuclear balancing act that we had to maintain before, there are just entirely too many players on the field, it isnt about gaining yards, holding the field or pushing towards the goal posts...it is about intercepting the long bombs, the lateral conversions, the safety's as well. Brinksmanship can only take one so far...it is time for reality and technology, though it be the devils playground we cannot remain idle and expect our foes to rattle the gates and cast stones over the wall, the world is so much smaller. We need to redefine what is important and draw our azimuth from a different point now, we cannot keep our heads in the sand, time for the undiscovered country, and unfortunately for all concerned, it is the dangers from domestic and foriegn threats. The "missle defense" that people think of is the worn out argument for a missle interception mechanism, how many of you would be surprised if you knew the far reaching implication and application of that very technology.....hopefully you will never see it, but it is one of the cards we keep up our sleeve. The Russians and Chinese have it.......mark my words....I didnt lead you all astray about Syria...and it will all come together very soon....just keep watching.