Starting a new build - input much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by TranquilityBlue, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Not really, not if you're going for a sealed unit. All that you need to bear in mind if you're going with the Arc Mini is that the rear fan is a 120mm. The top fan slots support 120mm and 140mm so even the H100 should fit.
    In fact, here is an example that I found
    Nope. ATX power supplies work in mATX cases. Some mATX cases can't take some of the longer power supplies (like a 1200W) but the Arc Mini doesn't have that restriction and you're not really likely to have a 1200W power supply any time soon.

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

MATX cases take regular ATX PSUs. Some very high-end PSUs won't fit, but you don't need to worry about that.

Depending on which exact case you go for, any 120mm-radiator-based water cooler (e.g. Corsair H50-H80, Antec 620) should fit. One of the Fractal MATX cases (I cannot remember which) can actually accommodate a Corsair H100 at the top.

Basically, no, you do not need to be looking at special coolers or PSUs because of your choice of MATX as a form factor.

EDIT: I didn't see Tak's post before I wrote the above, but we basically said the exact same thing :D

3. Takaharu

[​IMG] You might've said the same thing as me but my PC's better so my vote counts :lol:

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Pft. My PC's better value :p

Oh, and I have higher rep :evil:

5. TranquilityBlue

TranquilityBlue Forever Azure

Alright guys. I get paid this Thursday so I'm gonna start ordering some of the parts then. I really appreciate all of your help in this. If you don't mind me asking, would you take one final look over the build? I compiled all of the parts I'll need for this, and I was wondering if I was missing anything or something.

Here's the build: secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19495712

Thanks again.

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

The 1000W PSU is overkill. I'd aim for 600-700 for an overclocked quad with an overclocked 480.

And why the 3770 rather than the 3750? Do you do anything that makes real use of >4 threads?

Put the savings towards an SSD. Then you can have your OS and a few smaller software installations on that for super-fast loading, and keep games and documents etc. on the slower HDD. There are guides on how best to do this all over the internet :)

7. Takaharu

I'd probably go for the H70 over the H60 for a few reasons. Feel free to comment on this; I've had no practical experience with water cooling. The price is very similar.
    First of all, the H70 is a slightly thicker radiator. This isn't going to be much of a benefit to you as you won't be overclocking but it is beneficial for keeping the temperatures down. So, this would be a moot point. Secondly, the 70 doesn't come with its own fans. This could be seen as a disbenefit but I haven't heard great things about the fans that come with the Hydro series. Don't get me wrong, they do the job and they're relatively quiet but apparently they're not of some of the better fans out there. Considering you already have a fan at the back of the case the H70 could actually attach onto that. You're not going to lose a fan that way, you're just not going to gain one either. Finally, the H60 apparently doesn't have an integrated fan control. In your circumstance you could turn down the speed of the fan to a fairly low setting to keep the noise down; you're not overclocking so the watercooling should be able to do a good job of keeping the CPU cool at low fan speeds. Keep an eye on the temperatures and adjust accordingly - generally 40°C (~104°F) or under is what you should be aiming for.

I'd agree with the power supply being overkill; 650W should be more than enough for what you want and, as the newer graphics cards are saving on power, you should be good further down the line if you fancy splashing out on two graphics cards. That's just hypothetical; 650W should serve you well.

An SSD... well that's a want, not a need. There are quite a few discussions on this forum about using an SSD, a hybrid drive and using a generic mechanical drive. The use of a hybrid drive is the best price/performance/capacity, the SSD is the best overall performance and the use of a mechanical drive is the cheapest.
    My recommendation would be to avoid buying a SSD for now; get the upgrades that you feel that you need and establish a full opinion on whether you would actually merit buying yourself a hybrid/solid state drive. You will notice a difference in performance from the upgrade of CPU and RAM, probably enough to your liking. This isn't to demerit a SSD by any means; a SSD will make a significant improvement in loading times but when you upgrade and find that you're PC loads Windows/games at a satisfactory speed, don't bother with a hybrid/solid state drive. Faster harddrives don't improve gaming performance.
    The CPU I'm neither here nor there with really. In my opinion the i5 3570 will do you justice; it's a decent CPU that will give you decent framerates with your graphics card. However, as you're content with spending more money on the CPU as you're not spending it on the graphics card then by all means. The i7 3770K is faster than the i5 and there is a slight increase in framerates and, if you're doing other things on your PC that utilise the CPU then it will perform that bit faster. I think that you'd do well with either processor, personally.

So, in a nutshell, I'd personally recommend a change in the CPU cooler and the power supply.

Oh, and blibb - a higher rep and being here an extra year still doesn't mean that your PC performs as well as mine :lol:
    Stu's rep is only 182. Is his opinion lesser?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. TranquilityBlue

I suppose I have no actual need of the 3770, but as mentioned prior I don't mind spending the extra bit for a better CPU as I'm not getting a GPU like I originally planned to, so overall this build is a good bit cheaper. Still not entirely certain on this though, although I'm not ordering the CPU until the paycheck after this one, so I'll have time to make up my mind.

As for the PSU, do you guys have a preferred brand? Noted on the wattage too. Though, would 600-750 suffice if I upgrade my GPU in a year or so do we think?

I'll change the cooler to an H70 as well, thanks for the heads up on that. I do want to keep this PC running nice and quiet!

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Have a look through some benchmarks to help you in your decision. The performance difference between the 3770K and 3750K is almost identical to that between the 2600K and 2500K, if that helps you at all.

Even Nvidia's flagship $1000 GTX690 uses less power than your current card, so you'll be fine.

No, this is true. In reality, neither rep count nor PC specs are a good judge of opinion validity. There are plenty of morons on the internet who bought very expensive PCs they know nothing about, and even Callandor has a higher rep than me. :p

10. TranquilityBlue

:dead: ... shows how much I know. Thanks again! One final question... is my memory compatible with my mobo? I was told I should double check this, but I'm not sure why?! :duh: Either way, it IS to the best of my knowledge but I figured I'd just ask to be safe...

Edit: I updated the final build list with the new cooler and a different PSU if you guys wouldn't mind giving it another look. I admittedly know nothing of PSUs, so I'd appreciate if you guys took a look and made sure it'll fit with the rest of the build. Thanks!
    secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19495712

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  11. Takaharu

Yeah, that'll serve you well. Corsair are highly-respected PSUs.
    As for your RAM you said that you currently have DDR2 in your system. The new build is DDR3 so if that's right, it's not compatible.

Quad core Phenom processors nowadays run with DDR3 (not sure about the originals) so it might be worthwhile double-checking if you have any doubts. You can use CPU-Z to check what type of RAM is installed in your system as well as the speeds that it runs at. It'll be listed under the "memory" tab.
    If you know for a fact already that it's DDR2 then you can ignore this part.

12. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

I know you've said that you aren't one for overclocking but neither was I until I got my current system. I'm using a Corsair H50 water cooler (an older model) and I've bumped my Phenom 2 from 3.2GHz to 3.7GHz quite comfortably using AMD's overdrive software and thats with all my fans set to a low speed to decrease noise. In all likelihood with the H70 it wouldn't take that much effort to bump the 3750 to 3770 speeds saving yourself money which you could put towards a 60GB SSD caching drive which will speed up the mechanical boot drive without losing space.

13. TranquilityBlue

I mean... is the RAM I selected compatible with the mobo you selected for this build? Not the mobo I have in my current build... I KNEW they weren't compatible. :p

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Yes, everything's fine. Enjoy your new build :)

15. TranquilityBlue

Excellent! Thanks so much for I'll your help guys! I'm going to start ordering components this week! If I have any issues building the PC itself I'll know where to seek help. Thanks again! :)

16. Takaharu

Enjoy and be sure to show pictures!

17. TranquilityBlue

Definitely will! I'll keep this thread bookmarked.

18. TranquilityBlue

Ordered my case, mobo, PSU, DVD burner, and hard drive today. Wanted to thank everyone again for setting me up with this build. I'll post again when it's assembled. Probably not for another month, give or take a few weeks.

19. TranquilityBlue

Hey quick question guys, I decided to order an H80 instead of an H70 cause Amazon had 'em on the cheap, so now I'm wondering since Corsair recommends that you use the fans to pull air into the case what the best orientation for the other fan on the top (the 140 mm that comes with my case) would be. I'm assuming I want to use it as an exhaust? I'm gonna test this myself when I actually build the machine, but I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on this.

20. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

There is only one logical way for the top fan to blow and that is as an exhaust.

Heat rises you know.