Starting Much Anticipated Vacation!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

With everything as it has been in 2020, I'm quite eager to get away for a week on vacation! I'm fortunate where I work to get a total of 120 Paid Hours Off (PTO) each year. I'll be heading down tomorrow on a 5-hour trip to the S.E. Georgia coast where my older daughter and her family live. Although they now live on the mainland, they live near several coastal islands which provide a nearly unlimited amount of photo opportunities.

So, although on vacation, I plan to be very busy sight-seeing and eating at some delicious eateries I already know about.

Mr Cairo, Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Travel safe and have fun!

Mr Cairo and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Dyre Straits

Testing out my "new-to-me" ThinkPad before I leave town.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Have a nice trip!

Dyre Straits and Mr Cairo like this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Hope you enjoy the trip and obviously stay safe and looking forward to seeing your pictures

Buit envious TBH not sure what its like where you are but here we have just had to cancel my wifes 50th birthday party trip to London as our part of the UK is now back in full lockdown for the foreseeable,..... again

6. Dyre Straits

Need an "Unlike" click option. :(

EDITED to ADD: We had a virtual celebration for my older son's 50th Bday in May. We had already starting laying plans for a big celebration last year...then COVID happened. :(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  7. IvanV

Sucks big time. I'm sure you'll be able to make her feel special at home too, although I understand that she wanted to celebrate the big jubilee with more of a bang. I don't want to hijack things, but... my wedding plans have been postponed for an unspecified amount of time partly due to this year's circumstances and the better half hasn't taken it well (although if you ask her it's not the main reason and she's still pretty mad at some people who are thankfully not me).

Anyway, those among us who get to do stuff need to really seize the opportunity and have fun for all of us, so, Dyre, go to that vacation, get rowdy, don't get arrested! ;)

Mr Cairo and Dyre Straits like this.
  8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

First of all, have fun!

It's just so weird hearing about paid leaves counted in hours. I know things are very different there, but still.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

Have arrived at my destination. 5 hour trip...non-stop by car.

10. Dyre Straits

Those of us that are hourly hires, get paid by the hour. Salaried workers are paid by the week, bi-weekly, or monthly. I'm hourly.

Mr Cairo and Trusteft like this.
  11. Mr Cairo

Thats the one day that needs to be the day your intended wants, her and her friends will talk about it for years and years after and it would be crushing for her to start each memory with "I wish we had been able too do this but.......", so as disappointing as it is wait until you can have the day you both know she wants :) ...congrats by the way I cant remember if I knew you were tying the knot.

Been married just over 23 years here and my wife and her friends still bring it up (as they do all their weddings) regularly

Now see stuff like that is impressive to me , With only a small effort and favourable traffic I could probably drive across the UK end to end (lengthways anyway) in that amount of time, TBH I think the longest continuous drive I have done here is only about 2 and a Half hours, I really dont think I could do 5 at all

hope you enjoy and weather stays good for you.

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  12. Trusteft

I'm sure it's longer than that. Here in Greece just the trip from Athens to the second largest city, Thessaloniki, is about 5+ hours by car and that is like only 500 or so KM. Not even the longest trip one could take by car here, and Greece is like 54% the size of the UK. I remember the road trip from Aberystwyth to Swansea taking about 2 hours. Then again to London was a bit over 5 hours IIRC....ok nvm.

13. Mr Cairo

I have only ever been to Corfu and Crete and TBH I don't remember most of it having the straightest of roads :) , Once i am on the M4 in the UK its literally 1 road from start to finish for me, London from me is about 185 Miles (297KM) .. Far West (Pembroke) to Far East (Clacton) is only 320 odd Miles (520 ish KM) so fully across Britain is about the same as Athens to Thessaloniki .. lengthways the UK is quite small and its 1 road

I could drive from my town of Neath (just a couple miles from Swansea) to Essex on the east coast just past London in about 4 hours , if traffic is really favourable probably less than 3 and a half, Usually when we do go to London on trips we travel on a national express coach and the journey with pit stops and pick-ups on the way is usually only around 4 hours, so I could probably drive across the UK in under 5 hours

EDIT -- OK Google maps says I could do Pembroke to Clacton on Sea (far West to Far East) in under 6 hours so its a little longer than I thought,

Will admit I had not realised Aberystwyth was quite that far away though ..... on the plus side though its nice to know that Aberystwyth IS that far away :)

Trusteft likes this.
  14. Trusteft

1. I wouldn't compare the winding roads of Corfu and Crete with the highways on the mainland.
    2. Aberystwyth is cool, Aberystwyth is good, Aberystwyth is awesome. All hail Aberystwyth!

Mr Cairo likes this.
  15. Dyre Straits

What is, to me, very interesting, is that, before I left the gas station in my hometown, I checked GPS to see the estimated time to arrive where I was to meet my daughter for dinner. I was only 1 minute late. :D

Mr Cairo, IvanV and Calliers like this.
  16. IvanV

Thanks for the perspective you gave me, I'll keep that in mind. :) I mean, one kind of knows how important it is to the "other party", but, from your words and thinking about some of my fiance's words and reactions, it can't be overstated.

I certainly haven't mentioned it much, if at all. I kind of keep mum about plans for the future and even this time I thought if I should mention it or not, but, it's happening (just don't know when exactly). :)

The funniest thing happened yesterday. We were at the local supermarket and the security guard, to whom we simply say "Hi!" from time to time, approached us and said "Hey you two, I just want to say, why aren't you married yet, what are you waiting for?! Get it done!" How on earth did he know?! I mean, he certainly saw us enough together to know that it's not a coincidence, but... how did he know that we weren't actually married? Do we have "Engaged, but not yet married" written somewhere on our backs?!?!

Mr Cairo, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  17. Calliers

Humans tend to have a 6th sense about these kinds of things...

Things are going well between me and my girl friend, and so far even though we aren't engaged yet, we've known each other long enough that every now and again we catch each other talking about where we'd like to live, if we should have our gaming computers together or apart, stuff like that. Lol.

Personally I think in the next few years I'll be hitched too. :)

18. Trusteft

Do you wear wedding rings?

Mr Cairo likes this.
  19. Trusteft

Why do you call her girl friend and not girlfriend? I thought you did because she was only a friend of yours who happen to be a girl.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  20. Calliers

Tomato, tomatoe, w/e lol.