Steam and HDD location

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by SeaWulf, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

You guys do realize he's going to kill you when his games get deleted...... ;)

2. Sic Puppy

Sic Puppy Live from the Energy City of NZ

We'll all just hide when he gets back :)

[hobo]eclipse likes this.
  3. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Not only kill but murder them as well :)

4. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

orly! duel! if ya ever get steam re installed! :w00t::D

5. Cow_160483

I don't know if it was Ty or hobo but one of the jinxed it for me ... Here is the problem after the fresh installation of W7 I downloaded and installed steam then copied and pasted over the old steam folder, when I run steam iyt tries to log on to my account and does not respond , when I go to task manager it says not responding ?? What did I do wrong ?

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I really hate to hear this. :(

I guess my post was overlooked or I didn't provide enough details to help you out.

But, over several fresh Windows installations I've never had to "re-download Steam" at all! I simply ZIPped or RARed the entire Steam directory onto a back up HDD first. Then, extracted it back to the Program Files (x86) directory and then Run the Steam.exe already in that folder.

However, I don't do this but maybe once a year or so and all the intricate details are not at my ready command. But, I've never had a problem with Steam at all doing it this way.

I did, however, take note that, in order to keep your saved games, you DO need to also back up wherever the saved games are located in whichever Windows version you're using.

Good luck getting it back up and running.

Cow_160483 likes this.
  7. Cow_160483

@ dyre am going to try un-installing the steam client then just copying over the whole steam folder to program files X86 and try running it from there thanks for the tip will see of that fixes the issue .

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Why don't you just do a proper backup of the games and do a clean installation and restore the files?

9. Cow_160483

How do you mean? I thought that backing up the whole folder is the best option as I only have two games from steam and I was not too sure which folder contained the actual game refer to the pic I posted earlier.

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Open Steam, go to Library, see the list of your games that you have installed. Right click on it, Back up files...

11. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Once you reinstall windows you have to run the steam installer again and point it to the location where you have your saved steam folder at. Been doing it like that for a very long time and never had an issue

12. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

delete eveything in the steam folder EXCEPT STEAM.EXE and STEAMAPPS. Launch the steam.exe and steam client will be reinstalled. anything in the steam apps folder will be available after a short verification.

13. Cow_160483

I think my problem currently is that after installing steam it does not run and just hangs at the loging in to my account screen , will try copying over the whole steam folder and clicking on the steam.exe and see what happens, will fill you guys in this weekend when I give it a try.

14. Cow_160483

@ Dyre your trick worked thanks left some rep for you :p

15. Sic Puppy

Sic Puppy Live from the Energy City of NZ

Glad you got it working again bud!

For future reference. If you do it the same way as Cow did. Just install the steam client. Log in. Once Steam has updated client files etc you then exit Steam and copy over the steamapps folder and then log back in again. As Cow experienced, if you copy the folder before logging in for the first time, Steam has yet to setup a user file etc and will hang. Happy reinstalling.

16. Dyre Straits

You are VERY welcome and, I'm very happy to know you're back in the gaming business now. Cheers!!

17. Dyre Straits

Never had that problem. But, will pay closer attention to the details on my next upgrade. IIRC, all I ever had to do was just login with my previous username/password and was back in business.

18. Cow_160483

Wish I had known that earlier lol :p but am sure it will help someone who finds himself in the same predicament :D

19. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

all you have to do is copy the STEAMAPPS folder. All the games are stored in there.

That's what I do, then I redownload the client, install it.. Copy over the STEAMAPPS folder and voila.

edit: lol.. I just saw this was already mentioned. missed there was a 2nd page :D

20. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

wow, after 3 times of repeating urself your still getting ignored.

Dunno why because everything hobo is saying seems like the 100% easiest way to go.

I have a quick question too. Since I am going to install all of my games on a new HDD, after I format can I just start copying and installing to that Hard drive without having to re-format my current drive? Almost like a plug and play type deal

Also, this is my first time using a secondary HDD so do I need to make a program files folder or can I just have like a generic games folder in the D: drive?

My plan was to have all the steam games downloaded by the time the Hard Drive showed up then copy all of them over. Format the original drive then set up the new OS.

As far as my research goes I haven't seen any problem with this.