Steam Game Installation Directory

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by thomasabarnes, Dec 31, 2008.

1. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hi all:

Does anyone know if there is a way to choose the game installation directory when a game is bought off of Steam and installed. I'm almost out of space in my C: directory, and I'm about to buy Call Of Duty World At War, and I want it to be installed to another HDD on my PC.

Thanks for any help.

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

All steam games are always placed into the Default directory you installed steam onto.

I have at least 30+ games on steam and i have not once seen any option to install else where.It may be best to back up your steam games and re-install Steam onto the drive that has the most available space.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

As far as I know it's not possible to install games to different folder/drive. The only way is to install Steam to a drive with more free space.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

WAIT. I had a similar problem (under XP anyway). What I did was just moved the whole STEAM directory (everything in it) to the other drive. Everything still worked fine.
    You might want to try this, but just in case, backup the games so you don't have to re download them if something goes wrong.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

All you do is drag the folder to the new drive, delete the shortcut. run the steam EXE from the new drive and it resets itself up. manually make a new shortcut.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah steam is far more friendly when it comes to just dragging and dropping the entire sucker somewhere else.....

7. HardwareHeaven

Yeah its great that way. I have all my steam games on a big storage drive and then the raptor boot is free from the 120 gb of games.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

One thing you can do is to copy the entire Steam folder into a temporary folder wherever you are planning to move it to. So, say you are going to use D:\Program Files\Steam. Copy all the files to that drive, say D:\steam, then uninstall Steam. Now, reinstall Steam onto the drive and directory you want. You can open it if you want, but I prefer not to. Once you have it installed move or copy the entire Steam folder to the location of the new install, and overwrite that folder. After that's done startup Steam. There may be one or 2 updates that occur when you fire up Steam, both to Steam and the games installed (minor syncing), but you won't have to redownload the entire installations. This saves you a lot of time, getting Steam back up and running quite fast.

Another way, and more time consuming, is to backup the installs via the utility within Steam. After that you can uninstall Steam, install it where you want, and bring the data back for the games via the backups.

The thing is that all the games you install go into the Steam\steamapps folder, most times as gcf files, and in the registry each game has a ticket number related to it. Now, you could alter the path in the registry for steamapps to somewhere else, but you would have to keep all the data in that folder in the same place (edit: meaning you can't have some games in one place while putting others into another place). It can get complicated, and sometimes will screw up, so it's just better to do my first suggestion.

Edit: or do Zardons way. LOL!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  9. HardwareHeaven

Actually Tipstaff your way might be better for registry entries etc. Can't say ive ever had a problem just copying it over mind you.

Hopefully the thread starter has enough info now !

10. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Yes. Thank you all so much for the help!

DriverHeaven is still a great place for help!

Thanks a bunch everyone!:)

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You are welcome, but I think you mean THE best! :D

12. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i'm pretty sure steam was designed in a way you could just move it around like you described, I've never had any problems with doing that either