Strange artifacts all over Windows and everything else

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Junkguy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

I was playing Battlefield 2 with no problems for about an hour, and suddenly intense artifacts appeared all over the screen. I quitted to desktop, and the problem is there too (around the shortcuts, icons and other visual items). Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.
    http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5669/artifacts6de.jpg
    I've tried turning off the computer, waiting a minute, and turning it back on. The artifacts are still there, even on the BIOS startup screen and Windows loading screen.

I am using a Radeon 9800 non-pro on Windows XP, using Catalyst 5.7 and never overclocked.

I've used this computer for two years and there was never an overheating or artifact issue, and I've even cleaned the inside of my case a month ago. I doubt it is an overheating issue, I've played BF2 for many hours before and there was never a problem.

I'd appreciate any help :)

2. Ðamage™

Ðamage™ New Member

I've seen this with other people's computer and playing BF2.. I'm beginning to think it might be a driver issue, but i'm not sure. I saw someone saying that they turned their computer off for a long period and it cooled down enough.. might or might no help.

Peace ;)

3. SexPistoL

SexPistoL New Member

What temps have you got on your card?

4. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

I've just tried doing a system restore, it didn't help.

How do I check the temperature of my card? I didn't know Radeon 9800 non-pro's have thermal sensors... do they? o_O

Anyways, I tried the ATI Tool's "Scan for Artifacts" feature, and it displayed obvious artifacts but it said no errors found. Here's a screenshot: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1103/artifacts28dk.jpg

I wonder if I should reinstall Catalyst 5.7 or change to 5.6 :confused:

5. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Just tried reinstalling Catalyst 5.7 (using DriverCleaner). The BIOS and XP startup screens were still corrupted after the drivers were reinstalled, but Safe Mode was flawless. During the reboot after the install, Windows froze and the screen turned off. After another restart, Windows froze during load. Booted to safe mode and system restored, and everything is fixed EXCEPT for the artifacts...

BTW, I've tried turning it off for an hour, and the problem is still there, so it's probably not caused by overheating.

Any ideas?

6. Volcom929

Volcom929 New Member

Hmm...... driver reinstalls,reboots, and no overclocking? This sounds like a hardware failure. Are you able to run the card in another machine and see if the artifacts appear? That would be the easiest way to determine if it is in fact the card or some other software related problem. BTY you gotta lotta games installed!!!!!

7. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Yes, I think it's a hardware problem too. But then why would safe mode work perfectly? Hmm... :hmm:

8. ReDGuiTaR

ReDGuiTaR New Member

hum... safe mode just lets 3d aside ... hum ... i mean on safe mode there's no graphic accelaration ...

9. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

it happened to me a long time ago, that problem just repaired itself, safe mode will run ok, as it uses no advanced 3d feature done by the card, instead of safe mode i used to ... use vga mode worked the same, i really never got a clue on what happened, may be a driver bug that screwed the hardware? on any case enought cool sometimes wont do a thing i guess -.-

in my case even a week of cooling didnt got it better, it just kinda got better itself or somethen, perhaps u can be lucky or somthen thou, maybe underclocking the card a little bit?

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I should clairify something: Windows, for that matter most operating systems, do not use 3D to display it's desktop. It's all 2D unless you are running an app to enhance the desktop with 3D functions. 2D and 3D functions are (for the most part) seperate things. However, the reason you would have corruption in 3D games as well is most likely linked to the same problem.

The reason why it "looks ok" in safe-mode is due to the card not using higher color modes such as 24bit/32bit color. The less color the card renders, the less memory is uses. Same for games. The more 3D functions you use, the more memory you fill. In safe-mode your not encountering the errors because the card isn't using as much memory as it would be in full color mode (and, of course, your not running 3D games in safe-mode). It can be misleading since it "looks" ok, but it's not. This type of error can occur due to a bad memory addressing (or bad memory period), a bad RAMDAC, corrupt firmware/bios, or heat. I recently had this same issue with my X800XTPE, and the ATI techs and I came to the conclusion that it the problem was my memory. In rare cases the card might correct itself (especially if the issue is heat related), however, you may have no choice other than to send it in for repair as I did. If it's still under warranty then that would be the route I'd go.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  11. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Thanks for your advice Tipstaff and everyone else. Fortunately, it's still under warranty by Dell and I'll contact them for repair. (The video card is a Dell OEM part that came with my Dell computer)

12. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm you might even get a better card out of this!

13. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

Yeah, I hope the Dell non-pro version of the 9800 is no longer available and they'll have to give me an XT or AIW or something :D

14. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Not likely to get either...maybe just a Pro is a good level of hope to have :lol:

15. thegave

thegave -=[DHzer0point Team]=-

my X800pro is doing this...
    but when i went to get it fixed they said i'd knocked a resistor and it was broken. on their test bench it looked fine...
    back home i get some kind of discolouration around words and letters. kind of yellowish. and then sometimes if there's like an animation within windows like the start menu these weird artifact blocks will follow it and then stay there.
    the boot logo is all disfigured but the post and whatever text is fine.
    at the scroll bar they come back again
    should i bring it back?

16. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

17. kanko

kanko New Member

18. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

I don't think its the same problem. That Omega problem seems to be much more severe, and I don't think mine is driver-related. Mine only happens on some icons and shortcuts, and in games.

19. Junkguy

Junkguy PC Game Modder

I've talked to Dell support and they're sending me a replacement. It was a memory problem with the video card. I'm not sure what they're sending me, the guy just read off "Radeon 9800" from my original order details. Thanks for your help everyone.

20. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Well at least you get that.

BTW Junkguy, where are you in Toronto? If you're interested a friend of mine may want to sell his 9800 Pro, complete with Zalman VF700 AlCu cooler and ramsinks in the near future. OC's well.