Streaming Video Capture Software?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

What do you all use to capture live streaming video?

I have FRAPS already...plus a slew of other video players/recorders. I know I can use FRAPS but the size of the video I want to capture is going to be HUMONGOUS with it!

My younger son is graduating this afternoon and getting his Bachelor's Degree in Washington, D.C. The ceremony is going to be Webcast live and it's scheduled for FOUR hours!

I'm using Firefox and have the RealPlayer Download Helper installed. I've been able to use that to download "static" video files from various sources but I've not done any Live sessions. Will Download Helper actually save the video "on the fly" as it were?

At present, I have FRAPS set to save the clips in 4GB increments. This is to avoid losing the whole video in case of some kind of interruption during the recording process. Good idea, or no?

But, I mainly want to avoid having to re-code something that could reach 100+ GB in total file sizes.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've tried almost everything out there for capture software... and I keep going back to fraps because it just seems to do the job right the first time without screwing up.

4gb increments is a good idea....

Re-Encoding however is a small price to pay for pretty much 100% flawless video AND audio recording.

I just know a lot of encoders flip their shit when you try to merge together anything in excess of 75GB. Which makes my life harder when I try and merge 800GB of video into a single file lol.

3. Dyre Straits

Well, after checking a few other options, it finally fell back to just using FRAPS as I thought I would. I just do wish there was some way to use it without having to eat up so much hard drive space.

After nearly exhausting the rest of one hard drive (at 246 GB!) I had to restart it for another hard drive where it ended up using another 201 GB.

At least for now, Windows Media Encoder is doing a very, very decent job of recoding these AVIs into much more manageable files. I was able to edit out the most important part of the 3+ hour ceremony just to where my son walked the stage to receive his Bachelor of Arts Degree. That portion, I've already posted up on FB for family and friends.

One other note, though: I did find that FRAPS did a much better job of capturing the live feed if I restricted my screens to just the main screen. It was stumbling all over itself with 3 in Extended mode...although I was only viewing the video on the main screen.

4. Dyre Straits

Judas, what are you using to Recode the FRAPS files?

I'm finding that Windows Media Encoder 9 is doing an EXCELLENT job. But, it can only recode one file at a time!

I've tried Xmedia Recode as it does allow multiple files to be selected. But, the playback of those recodes is HORRIBLE!

Almost any other Recoder pops up an error as the source file is invalid.

I couldn't ask for a better recode than what Windows Media Encoder is doing...but, at one file at a time, it's so slow to get these dozens and dozens of 4 GB files done.

5. Judas

I think i'm getting 2 people mixed up on who recommended it to me..... (it's early I just woke up)

But I've been using Staxrip every since. It has a single/merge option.. the only issue is that when the video content exceed 75+ gb TOTAL for all merge files, it takes a dump.... so it's best to fast encode into a small set of files.. then use it to do a final master merged.

I've found that things turn out fantastic if your video is 1080p (or smaller) using PS3 x264 2 pass option, and then set the bitrate for video to something like 2250kbps for 1080p.. or 950-1100kbps for 720p... Make sure slow first pass is unchecked, and use "very Slow" present... it'll take awhile to encode.. but the final result is incredibly small file with incredible picture quality.

6. Dyre Straits

This StaxRip actually seems like it would do the job. But, it also seems if I select more than one or two files to recode, it, too, fails.

Interestingly enough, the Nero 12 Recode has actually successfully recoded a couple of the FRAPS files. But, if I attempt to continue, it, too, will fail due to unrecognized format or corrupted file.

Windows Media Encoder 9 just does the job....one file at a time...splendidly!

7. Dyre Straits

112 Single FRAPS AVIs finally recoded and ready to work with to make DVDs.

I definitely have to find a better way!

I installed a PCIe Capture Card some time ago (after getting my XBOX 360) in order to capture my console gaming. It works perfectly!

But, when I try to connect it from my HD 7970, I get this....

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/members/304/albums/220/780.jpg

8. Judas

9. Dyre Straits

Oddly enough, I'm able to actually use the Capture Card [AVerMedia brand] after enabling the HDMI from my Intel HD4000 and running that to the HDMI in on the capture card. I actually was able to copy the entire graduation ceremony [3+ hours] into a 1.6 GB file.

Just one problem: I overlooked the fact that my Line-In was disconnected so there's no audio whatsoever. LOL! (And, that's not really a tragedy as the university my son graduated from is a DEAF university. ;-) So, everything is communicated via ASL and/or Captions.)

But, I'll be doing one more full copy with audio for copies for family and any friends who may want one.

BUT, even more strangely, enabling the Intel card this way has yet to produce a BSOD as it was doing previously.

10. Judas

can't you run the audio over hdmi?

11. Dyre Straits

I had assumed it was doing so until I went to play back the recorded video.

BTW, whatever happened to "What Windows Hears"???

12. Judas

if you use realtek... use the "stereo mix" option by right clicking the recording tab window area with the devices... click show disabled devices.. .then enable the stereo mix.

Granted I believe this only works for Analog output mode and won't operate if you are using an hdmi/digital connection.

13. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

As the Last post were in 2013, i am going to close this as a pointless thread resurrection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.