Stuck on W7 "welcome" splash screen

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by drivehard454, May 14, 2012.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Working on a DELL Insperion 1525 for a friend. Originally had Vista, but after not keeping up on virus protection, it bacame infected beyond repair.

Installed W7 6 months ago and turned over to friend. Has been working flawlessly until recent. He said he shut it down, next day went to start and it loads to the welcome screen where normally it has account logins listed. Instead, it just shows the background. nothing else except the mouse pointer, which works with the mouse.

Tried every start up option I could get to, along with repair, safe mode, last known good config, etc. Nothing works. Running repair options leads to the hang up on welcome screen, running normal start-ups, last known, etc makes the computer restart before the welcome screen.

Next I went into BIOS and set up to load from CD. Put the W7 disc in and restarted. Went to the region, settings etc. Tried the repair option with the disc installed. It goes through the motions for repair, then gets to the welcome screen and hangs there. Tried this multiple times, even left it on all day. Just sits there with the welcome splash screen background, and a moveable mouse pointer.

Searched online for solutions and ran across many others that have ran into this problem, but no solutions. They all get recommendations to install W7 disc and run repair.

Stumped.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I ran into a virus that did this, it removed all the account listings and essentially removed/deleted/destroyed the data that allowed windows to start... it would forever get stuck at the welcome screen.

Although SAFE MODE should allow you to log in straight away, it wouldn't for me either. Repair is useless in almost all aspects that i've tried using it, usually if safe mode don't work, repair won't help any at all. System restore is pretty much a joke too.

I determined it was a virus after removing the drive and installing it into a working machine to do a check on the disk itself.

I was able to recover a little of the users files, back them up, wipe the system clean and reinstall windows 7 from scratch...

Any other similare symptom has been related to a failed drive.

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Sounds as though we're talking a failed drive. This being a laptop, I am not sure I have the ability to install it in another machine to try and get any files from it.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

check the drive... many laptops made within the last 7 years have SATA drives that use standard sata data and power connectors.. making it a snap to plug into other machines.

If you think it's a failed drive.... grab Seagates bootable Graphic SEATOOLS diagnostic software.. it'll run on ANY hardrive, boot from that, run each of the tests.. and see if you get any errors...

if you do... yeah the hardrive is toast.

if not..

then it's just a software problem on the drive.. which would be best solved by wiping/reinstalling.

5. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks, I will give this a try in the next few days. Will update what I find.