Study: Teens' interest in gaming on the decline

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Analysts' survey of 700 students around the country yields interesting results about kids' gaming habits.

There's been a lot of evidence recently of game companies pushing to expand the market beyond the traditional gamer. Games-on-demand services are sprouting up left and right with a casual crowd in mind. Nintendo's Revolution controller was built specifically to appeal to a nongaming audience. Sony's PSP is being positioned in the market as a multifunctional lifestyle device as much as a gaming machine. But for all the attention companies are paying to the demographics they haven't yet conquered, they might be losing their grip on the core market.

A semiannual survey of US teens by Piper Jaffray research analysts Anthony Gikas and Stephanie Wissink found that 75 percent of responding teens in this year's fall survey said their interest in gaming was declining, significantly higher than the 66 percent who responded that way in the spring survey, and the 64 percent from the fall 2004 survey. Almost 78 percent of the teens said they spent less time playing games this year than last, most commonly citing a lack of time as the main culprit.

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

"commonly citing a lack of time as the main culprit" not becouse a lack of interest LOL

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Well I'm a teen and recently, games are loosing their appeal. Fast.

4. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

In my highschool years I played games non stop, loved consoles and heavy into gaming. Now that I'm older I rarely touch consoles(have a ps2, sold my xbox) and play PC games more than anything. Even then I only play a few times a week, and thats either CS:Source or WoW.

5. rudedog

rudedog New Member

Prices go up, demand/interest goes down....

Maybe they're charging too much for too little? You can only have so many sequels, we need originality.

Disclaimer... I'm a 37 year old kid at heart ;)

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I always find something good. Real life sucks... :lol:

7. refraction

refraction New Member

personally i think its a mixture of things, price obviously being a big problem, altho people do find ways round that, and thats quite common.

the other thing i recon is games these days are more about looking pretty and realistic than actually being enjoyable to play, myself ive played newer games like halflife 2 GTA:SA, doom 3 etc, and im bored within a few days, where back in the day of Diablo 2, the original GTA, Quake 2 etc, id find myself stuck on them for weeks on end without losing interest.

i think some game manufacturers are unfamiliar with the fact the most complex thing is not always the best.