Subtitles

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Stuart_Davidson, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

HI all,

I've been messing with DVD backups/Encoding over the weekend and have come across a strange issue.

I took my copy of Ring, a region 0 DVD which is in Japaneese and the english subtitles play by default. I used DVD DEcrypter 3.1.9.0 to create the VOB file using file mode and no file splitting so the movie is all 1 vob. If i play the movie back in Power DVD 5 from the HD or use Virtual Dub to change the file to DivX/LameMP3 audio the file plays with the subtitles fine.

If i take my copy of The Eye, again a R0 DVD which has English Subs over the normal Japaneese/cantoneese and use DVD Decypter and use the same settings i get a VOB with subtitles. (NOTE: The Eye asks you on the main DVD menu to play with or without subs...the DVD defaults to Subs on if you play without a selection but there is still that prompt on the menu rather than no option like Ring). The VOB that is created has subs (confirmed in Power DVD 5) however after conversion to DivX the subs are lost...i also tried Windows Media Encoder 9 as well and got the same result...no subtitles.

Has anyone any idea how to get Virtual Dub to add the subtitles on DVD's like "The Eye" where there is a menu prompt and its not the default option. This also happens on "Dark Water" so i know its not the DVD thats at fault.

I tried the Subtitle filter on Virtual Dub however it seems this only works if you have created your own subtitle file (.ssa)...not on subtitiles that are already on the film.

Thanks.

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

come on someone is bound to know the answer to this ! ive posted it front page abusing my powers to get help !! :rofl:

3. Max Powerz

Max Powerz New Member

Haha, we all suck. I have no idea by the way. I'd find away around it like, making your own subtitle movie and pasting it under the movie, lol.

4. RA321

RA321 New Member

Heya guys, I don't post often but I've been around for a while :)

I don't know the exact answer, but i'm 99.99999999999% sure that you can find it at http://www.doom9.org

Whenever I've had ANY problems ripping, converting or anything like that, I've found the answer there. Have a poke around and I'm sure you'll find something :D

Hope this helps.

-ra

5. MurderOne

MurderOne New Member

the walkthrough divx guide at www.everwicked.com is perfect for this stuff.

i've used it and have had 100% subtitle success using vobsub. you can allow vobsub to select any of the subtiltles and wswtich them on or off or they can be burned onto the picture.

6. HardwareHeaven

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

thread cleaned

7. HardwareHeaven

8. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Take a look at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

these guys have some excellent tutorials on all aspects of DVD and I'm absolutley certain that there is a one there which has something to do with getting the subs to work properly under DivX.

I know there is a util somewhere which does this but I can't remember what its called. Its something like vobsub or subvob or something and it rips the subtitles from a disk and then overlays them on your converted DivX file. I'm sure, I'm absolutley sure.

9. HardwareHeaven

Im pretty experienced with ripping/converting and burning DIVX/XVID etc to DVD or SVCD to DVD and vice versa - ive a pretty vast array of tools at home :)

This subtitle thing was something stu asked me about a while ago and its had us both stumped, thats what I love about this game, always learning something new :)

10. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

just realised I didn't read MurderOne's post properly - oops

Dont know if this would be of anyuse but - I use DVDShrink to compress DVD9 disks to DVD5. In that program, you can reauthor the disk itself really easily. What I normally do is take out all the soundtracks and subtitles I don't need. This may be of use in that you can rip the movie with only the subs you need. This might help when trying to do the conversion in that there is only one subtitle set in the movie. A lot of disks I have seem to have a blank subtitle set which you may be getting in error.

I have never been able to backup Black Hawk Down in that I can never get the audio stream to play on the backup and I have no idea why. Ive tried alsorts like ripping the soundtrack and then re-inserting it into the movie and it never works - wonder if this is the same kind of thing?

I'm not that experienced with DVD ripping at all mind you so please feel free to put me right on this.

11. calpchen

calpchen New Member

It has been a while since I've done DivX encodings. I do DVD-R nowadays but I will try to help.

It sounds like the Region 0 version of The Ring had permanent subtitles, i.e. the subtitles were encoded into the video as part of the picture. Using external subtitles is more tricky, though.

Remember what Click and Clack say: "A problem well-defined is a problem half-solved."
    • What method are you using to encode to DivX? Can you walk us through the steps?
    • Do you want external subtitles on your final DivX that you can switch on and off or do you want permanent subtitles?
    • Have you tried using GordianKnot and VobSub as mentioned here? Perhaps you could create an .SSA subtitle file for use with VirtualDub using VobSub and its related utilities. Perhaps you could bypass VirtualDub and insert the subtitles at the frameserver.

I strongly suggest the guide from doom9 because it has worked beautifully for several movies I've thrown at it.

12. calpchen

calpchen New Member

I don't quite understand what you mean by re-inserting the soundtrack into the movie. What software are you using for that?

I highly recommend using DVD Decryptor for ripping. Even though DVDShrink will rip directly from the DVD, the decryption and ripping routines in DVD Decryptor are more robust.

Try ripping using DVD Decryptor either in File mode or in Image mode (then mounted as a virtual drive with Daemon-Tools). Then use DVD Shrink as you would normally.

13. Stuart_Davidson

Thanks everyone for the responses, i'll have a read at the guides etc tonight and see if any help...to answer the above questions...

1. Using Virtual Dub, full processing on Audio and Video... lame MP3 128kbps selected for Audio. 800kbps ish set for the movie and DivX codec. Then save as Avi.
    2. I just want permanent subtitles
    3. No, but i will.

14. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

15. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

I have followed this guide many times and I was able to successfully join the subtitles to the film (one of them being Tamala 2010, a very bizarre manga). I used the vobsub route to do it and the match seems rather beautiful. One thing however. I did the encoding using Dr. DivX (5.03 about a month ago) and added the subtitles afterwards using virtualdub.

Good luck mates

16. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

you might wanna check out dvd2svcd

and no..it does more then making svcd....it can do
    avi (divx/xvid) to dvd/svcd
    dvd to avi/svcd
    and so on

but it needs an external encoder

www.dvd2svcd.org

17. farmeunit

farmeunit New Member

CDFreaks

I don't know the answer personally, but I've done some VideoCD encoding and DVD ripping and any problems I've had, I've gone to www.cdfreaks.com. There is a guy called Chickenman that knows a lot and there are a lot of guides there also. Good luck.

Spelled right now :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  18. Guidoo

Guidoo Guido

Veridian ,

There is a plugin for vdub that will import SSA files. The plugin is available at vdubs homepage, it's called "subtitler" current version is 2.4. So after creating your SSA file from original file just use the filter to apply your subs..

CORRECTION........

I just tested the vdub since install of vobsub. You do not need to pre-create SSA file. the filter that "vobsub" installs for vdub handles the whole show. When you load the vosub filter from filter list in vdub a window will open. click the "open" button, then from dropdown select "ifo" file. :D

think you can figuire out the rest .............

Guido

19. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

he sure does..and he is a great fan of dvd2svcd...lol
    don't forget to wave to me also..when you get there

:D

cd-freak video forum;
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=32

guides (chicken-man);
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=66

20. Stuart_Davidson

Progress, using the Vobsub method i was able to get it to playback with subtitles in Media Player...DivX still had no subs but progress all the same. Thanks everyone, i'll look at it again tomorrow (its 2.30am here now). Have a nice night all.