Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

And they couldn't sell both because?

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Who cares, Anything from Subway is way to expensive to begin with. Only used them once and avoided the store ever since.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not sure, as it's less than one in 7 restaurants in UK and Ireland that are affected. Perhaps the pork was going to waste, if there are so many pure Muslim communities over there?! Other than that, I'm baffled.

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

a lot of serious Muslims wouldn't eat in any restaurant that served it full stop
    so in an area with a particularly high Muslim population they probably figure it's just easier to make the entire restaurant halal friendly and be done with

and @MIG-31 Subway isn't any more expensive than McD's (for example), and waaaaaaay tastier :)

6. MIG-31

I don't use McD's / BK's or KFC's either. They are all to expensive for what you get!

7. Trusteft

It's been a few years, but I remember last time I bought something from KFC it was in Plymouth where I got a large bucket of chicken with 2 portions of chips for 9.99. It was plenty of meat.

On the other hand I remember going late at the local Co-op and get a full chicken at the reduced price of 99p lol

8. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'd be willing to pay a little extra to get meat grown outside of the UK. :p

9. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

@mkk why? :confused:

oh I totally agree, was just pointing out that they're comparable to other fast food places yet (imo) much much nicer
    I do grab a Sub every now & again if we're on the road, if you need to real quickly grab something to go, it's not too bad every once in a while
    of course, think you can still get a tasty burger, fries, and a pint for a fiver in Wetherspoons :)
    (the couple near us really aren't too bad, although I know the general reputation)

10. MIG-31

The thing is not the money, it's my preferences. When I go out of the house I prefer to buy food that is good value and will last me most of the day.

I just don't like to buy stuff from the stores I mentioned if after an hour or two I know will feel hungry again, then end up with something else.

There are plenty of pubs that do food at decent prices.

11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

as with most things... you get what you pay for.

12. Calliers

Neshi, I think MIG is right, fast food restaurants only get patronage because their food tastes good, not because it is filling.

13. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

What do you mean I can't have bacon in my sarnie?
    It's because I'm white, isn't it?

Imagine if an English breakfast couldn't be called "English Breakfast" and had to exclude bacon and sausages to avoid offending foreigners.

I'm not racist; it's akin to a guest being invited to your home and telling you how to run your home

14. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm not sure what they're charging where you guys are, but, I eat quite often at a Subway near where I work. I get a 6-inch Cold Cut Combo (Turkey-based meat) on a Wheat bun, white cheese slices, I get all the trimmings except I don't get Jalapenos or Oil and Vinegar, a large beverage. and a bag of chips. This costs me just over $6.00 USD with taxes. And, with the free refill on the beverage, I have something to sip on during my work shift.
    All those trimmings include fresh vegetable items: tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, lettuce, and black olives.
    For the money, it's one of the healthiest meals around.

15. Trusteft

It has nothing to do with color. It's religious based. Not the decision, the decision is moron based.
    English breakfast is not called English in Wales. There it was called All Day Breakfast. I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with color.
    If you want to blame Islam and/or the p.c. morons/appeasers, that would make more sense.
    For me the only thing more stupid (in this subject) than asking for someone not to eat something based on your religion (ie the bullshit some other humans made up*), is to agree with it when you do not even follow that religion.

*Edit:the BS is the religion, not necessarily the deity.

16. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

It's an analogy. The joke wouldn't work if I had said "It's because I'm not religious, isn't it". I don't "blame" the religion as I'm not against it; merely the individuals that go to the extremes. I've known plenty of people who are against eating certain foods due to their religion and they simply avoid it.
    The Welsh are aware of the term "English Breakfast" and would not make the distinction.
    If someone's religion forbids them to do something I don't really care, as long as they don't enforce that on those who are not of the same belief.

17. Trusteft

Well, I don't know how things are the last few years, but in the about decade I lived in Ceredigion/Dyfed area, I never found any place which served English Breakfast. They all had it named All Day Breakfast.

18. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I used to get a BLT from Subway when I first discovered them and they were very good. They do nice sandwiches and they are seemingly 'healthier' than other fast food places. Trouble is it's such a ballache getting your order that a lot of the time I cannot be bothered anymore. It's like a round of 20 questions and it doesn't help if their employment policies include taking on Chinese girls who can barely speak English. I went in one in Leeds a year or so ago to get the basic breakfast sandwich offer they had advertised in the window, the girl behind the counter kept asking me questions and I could not understand a word of what she was saying so I just told her to forget it and went somewhere else.

19. Calliers

Hmmm, if I am to say what my favourite fast food place is, subway is near the top because their ingredients are really healthy as previously cited in this thread. And here they do employ people who understand how to convey what you would like to you. But my top fast food place is TacoTime, just can't get enough of those mexi fries and the hot sauce. :)

Second best would have to be Koryo Korean bbq, man do I love Koryo, their noodles are just something else. Third best would be any Vietnamese restaurant, I love love love the chicken/beef/pork fried rice they offer. Put some Sriracha up in that food and chomp it down hehe.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

If you asked for an "English Breakfast", would you get what you wanted, or would they play dumb? Would they be offended?